"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #51
Sous Chef
While I haven't done any cooking from it yet (since I have so many recipes from my parents to use), it surely is an interesting read into a culture.

Sometimes I still buy cookbooks because I actually want to cook out of them -- well, to be honest, my husband is the cook. But more often now, I buy cookbooks that interest me in other ways, just like your old Czech book interests you as a way learning about a culture.

I love and collect old Jello pamphlets, for example, even though the thought of Jello dishes makes me want to gag. But wow oh wow, those old booklets have the most beautiful lithos....they look like watercolor paintings.

suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #52
Senior Cook
Too many, I have a 5 shelf book case filled, plus 2 shelf cabinet filled with Pilsbury like bookets. My wife's though is if you can get 2-3 recipe from a book buy it.

Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #53
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
...It's one of close to 800 cookbooks we have that fill a large bookshelf in our family room and a specially made bookshelf in our breakfast room. I even have some in my office. It's an obsession with us.
Here are a couple of pics we took for insurance purposes.

suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #54
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I have about as many as you do on the bottom shelf of your second picture.
Zzyxk - Short baked goods slideshow! Homemade
Please check it out.
goboenomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #55
Senior Cook
I have well over 500 at this point and keep on buying.
marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #56
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have two: The Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook, which I bought about 35 years ago, and Martin Yan's Quick & Easy, which was a gift.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #57
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I must have at least 500 - haven't counted lately. It's an addiction that I have to break. I've started to give some away here & there & plan to do a lot more of that in the near future.
I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #58
Head Chef
I have 100s but can't stop buying them. I like to sit and look through them even if i don't cook anything from them! We have a series here put out by a womens magazine- The Australian Women's Weekly and I love them. i used to buy every new book as soon as it came out but now its too expensive with 3 kids, although the books are very reasonably priced.
There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 AM   #59
Executive Chef
I don't have as many as you do, but I do have several hundred. The latest was the new Joy of Cooking that came yesterday. On Sunday a friend gave me a copy of a family cookbook. The family had made it in memory of their mother who passed away a couple of years ago. She was a wonderful cook and even tho what she made was usually simple, everything was always delicious. Different family members included her recipes and some of their own. I enjoy books that I know are personal to my friends.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #60
Senior Cook
I have a few hundred, probably a third of which are electronic.

One site I webwhacked for my archives has been a great pleasure and resource.

Probably 15% duplications in there under different titles, but still some great recipes and ideas and its free.

thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote