"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #81
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni
I used to get embarrased whenever my family and friends commented on the huge number of cookbooks (and craft books) that I own. And then I thought 'so what', this is my hobby, I love reading the books and yes I know I will never live long enough to try all the recipes -so.

So now I ignore their comments and buy new recipe books whenever I feel like it. I figure they can donate them to a charity when I finally shuffle off.

However, I do see a granddaughter who seems to be heading the same way - so i just slip her a cook book now and then. Good to see someone keeping up the tradition.
That's the spirit! I had a friend over the other day who snidely asked me whether we use all our cookbooks (800 and counting). I said, probably not. So she gave me a look as if to say, "Well, then what's the purpose?"

I started to begin explaining the joy of of collecting, to explain that cookbooks are more than just recipes, but soon realized that unless one has a similar obsession, it would fall on deaf ears. So I asked her why she goes to Vegas every month to gamble. She said because she enjoys it. Voila!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #82
Assistant Cook

LOL. I know where I would rather spend my money and its not in some slot machine or up in smoke.

Just brought a couple more lovely cookbooks today, one is a beautiful Italian cookbook with fabulous recipes from different areas and pictures of the Italian countryside and the other is an Australian Heritage Cookbook.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #83
Master Chef

I think you'll all like one of my new years resolutions. Once a month we will take down a book, preverably one we've never cooked from, pick a recipe and make it! We could do this for years and not run out of cookbooks!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #84
Sous Chef

Oh, that's a great resolution!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #85
Sous Chef

I do not count my cookbooks...just keep adding to them...usually one a year.
In addition I have white 3 ring binders and place new recipes I find ...here and there. I have 5 binders to date (just started) and I do have them separated cakes breads etc.

Since joining Discuss Cooking Forum...I have receipes from people I have met on the Forum. If you enjoy cooking baking...this is WHAT you do.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #86
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I think you'll all like one of my new years resolutions. Once a month we will take down a book, preverably one we've never cooked from, pick a recipe and make it! We could do this for years and not run out of cookbooks!
You made me do the math, Claire. If I resolve to do the same, I will have accomplished my goal in 75 years, assuming I stick with my primary resolution, which is not to buy one more cookbook (okay, well, there is one I have to buy) for at least several months.

Maybe if I up it to once a week?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #87
Sous Chef

Just counted them on my bookcase. I have 52, along with a filing cabinet drawer filled with folders of pages torn from magazines and internet articles. I usually read my magazines a couple times, then tear out what I want. I used to save them all, but it was getting out of hand. My book collection constantly changes though. I'd probably have a couple hundred cookbooks by now if I saved every one I've purchased. Usually I buy them when I'm learning about a specific cuisine or dish. Once I've cooked everything I've wanted and learned what I aimed to learn, I usually give them away (having all the info I want recorded in my personal recipe file). There are a few exceptions for books which I simply use all the time, like "On Food and Cooking" which have been staples of my library for years now.

My most prized cookbook (and the one that I use most often) is the folder on my 'puter that has all my tested recipes with my notes and photos. I keep it backed up on a USB thumbdrive and also a couple CD-R's.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #88
Senior Cook

I have around 200 I thnk. I like to collect and
read them like books. I also like the spiral bound
church and community cookbooks. I do try various
recipes and note how they are in the book. I couldn't
keep track of which book had the recipe I liked so I've
taken to putting them in the computer and printing my
favorites out, putting them in a binder. Easy to find.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #89
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
That's the spirit! I had a friend over the other day who snidely asked me whether we use all our cookbooks (800 and counting). I said, probably not. So she gave me a look as if to say, "Well, then what's the purpose?"

I started to begin explaining the joy of of collecting, to explain that cookbooks are more than just recipes, but soon realized that unless one has a similar obsession, it would fall on deaf ears. So I asked her why she goes to Vegas every month to gamble. She said because she enjoys it. Voila!
after I showed her my latest find, my co-worker asked me when I would stop buying cookbooks. I told her, never, it's a collection. her answer: "I don't collect anything....." how sad
Old 01-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #90
Master Chef

Bandonjan, I also put favorites on the computer, then print them out in large, bold type when I want to use them. I tape them to the cupboard door above my work space. Works really well.