How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I have 53, plus a folder sutffed with all those recipes you get from friends, out of the paper, and everywhere else.

I also started a 3-ring binder for recipes from this site.

The book I've used the least is one on nothing but pate that I got as a wedding gift long ago.

I have somewhere around 80 something here, and another 50 or more in storage. Yikes!

I would guess I have in the neighborhood of 30 or so. If you count the internet then I have millions :)

I stopped counting.....I have a passion for them. I'm constantly ripping out recipes out of magazines not to mention wearing my poor printer out with printing off the web. I have the printed pages seperated in catagory but just need to haul my butt down and get a big 3 ring binder and dividers.

I stopped counting at 60, and my least used cookbook is the one on salads that is really nothing but what to add to a Honeymoon salad to make it a meal. Booooring!

I always say there's no such thing as having too many books. However, you guys make me feel relieved about the number I have on one topic.

i have about a billion recipes stored away in my mind. i just don't use cookbooks that much. i READ them, just don't use them when i'm cooking.

Well, you guys make me feel better. I have well over 50 cook AND food books (I like food history and food-oriented bios as well). AND I might add, I have easily 20 years of Gourmet magazine, and recently have become an officianado of Saveur and have two years of it. I started to sell the Gourmets a few years back, but wound up keeping them. I keep telling myself (and my husband) that I'm not buying any more cookbooks, then what happens? I go to a book store and find one on Spanish cooking for a song and cannot resist. People give me cook books as well, which is a real love.

Wow. We're all cookbook collectors in one fashion or another. No surprise there! I, too, have somewhere between 50 and 75 cookbooks, plus "school folders" full of clippings, and hoarded magazines in the attic. My treasures, however, are those from my great-grandmother. who painstakingly wrote down hundreds of recipes (mostly for candies and confections, creams and jams) into six leather-bound journals. I've only been able to convert maybe a third of those recipes over the years to American measurements and ingredients available today. Sure makes me appreciate the handwriting of our ancestors, who actually had to write!

Indeed it is, Mudbug. Very honored to be the recipient of them. Another wee bit of family history was my great-grandmother's enjoyment of the occasional dram of whiskey. I'm long suspicious of her imbibing while writing...the King's English tends to lapse into gaelic from time to time....

23.gif

I am not certain but they occupy two shelves on my kitchen book shelf. I have a 12 book collection from the 70's, forgot the name of the set, which I rarely use. It has 'American Regional Cooking' with the states listed alphabetically with favored recipes from each state. Makes it interesting to see what people did eat. The books also contain world favorites from most of the countries of the world. I know I can always go there and find out what an edible plant, herb, seasoning or fruit or vegetable is. Very informative. It has a special section on herbs listing them with recommended uses for meats, fish etc. I would say there are probably 40 or so, including a cookbook with a note written in the front of it to my mother for her bridal shower in 1928. This book is a hoot they way they used to cook.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

Looks like, best I can count that we have 266 cookbooks. And we gave a about a dozen away recently.

I guess I'm a wimp:
BH&G
Betty Crocker
Joy of Cooking
How to Cook Everything
Cooking for Dummies
Bread Machine Magic

Back
Top Bottom