"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Oh boy.. I was born in 1963...I have clippings that were in my Grandmother's cookbooks from the 40's / 50s' /60's and my great-grandmothers hand written cookbook from I think the late 20's/early 30's.

Yes I have the cookbook addiction..so I don't count them at all. I also have the clipping passion too, but so does my Mom and so did my grandmothers and great-grandmother
Oh--you got THAT gene. I did as well (and the packrat one). I am working on scanning all those clipped recipes...slowly but surely.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #112
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Oh boy.. I was born in 1963...I have clippings that were in my Grandmother's cookbooks from the 40's / 50s' /60's and my great-grandmothers hand written cookbook from I think the late 20's/early 30's.

Yes I have the cookbook addiction..so I don't count them at all. I also have the clipping passion too, but so does my Mom and so did my grandmothers and great-grandmother
Young'un...

Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Young'un...
+1
Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #114
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh--you got THAT gene. I did as well (and the packrat one). I am working on scanning all those clipped recipes...slowly but surely.
Yep I did for sure. I thought about scanning them but I just love that tactile experience of feeling the paper, going through the folders, and knowing that they did the same thing.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #115
Assistant Cook

I checked...My 'Joy of Cooking' is a reprint (1984) of the 1975 version, It is stained, held together with tape and marked with metric measurements here and there. I do have American cups and spoons, but some things don't translate well (things like butter are better weighed as we have no cup/spoon measurement on the packaging)

I have several cookbooks that I look at for inspiration but then do my own thing. The River Cafe books are good for that.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #116
Master Chef

I have two versions of Joy of Cooking, '75 and '97. I bought the first at a used bookstore in Hawaii. But when the "new" one came out I had to have it, and it is my bible. Most cookbooks I keep upstairs in a huge wall of bookshelves, but in a small side table in the dining room I keep the 6-10 books I refer back to most often, plus a few appliance manuals that I occasionally need to use (for example, I recently purchased a 3-bowl cuisinart food processor that I sometimes have a question about). In the cookbook collection is a shelf of chef's biographies, memoirs, and books more about food culture than recipes.

One of my favorites of the collection is The Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices, by George Leonard Herter and Berthe E. Herter, of Herter's, Waseca, Minnesota (just reading off the cover), a cookbook copyrighted in 1960 and given to my parents in 1965 when they were stationed at Stead AFB outside of Reno. I love that there's still a bookmark in it that advertizes their next book, "George the Housewife and How to Diet and Never Be Hungry". Hmmm ... now that I think of it, I've never googled to find out what Herter's is/was. The book is funny as heck, and some recipes start with how to plant the vegetable, or how to skin the animal. I went up and got the book to write this and now am determined to re-read it. The author is VERY opinionated on everything!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #117
Master Chef

Decided to google it and Herter's was the precurser to Cabela's.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #118
Assistant Cook

Claire, that sounds really interesting.

Is it worth while buying a newer version of Joy?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

The only cookbooks we have are Jamie Oliver ones...all other recipes we just get from the net
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #120
Senior Cook

I have just succumbed to another two books. I am now the proud owner of Thomas Keller's "French Laundry Cookbook" and "Bouchon" - they were a boxed set from Amazon and are marvellous, but oh so heavy, more like coffee table books than ones you would use in the kitchen. Can't wait to try some recipes though.

Apologies if I haven't answered anyone's pm, I haven't sussed out how to yet!!!

Tags
cook, cookbooks