How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just added 15 more for plating ideas when cooking for the food photographer. I figured I would need to be 326 to çook my way through all the cookbooks I have.

I have a huge collection, but I just collect them, don't cook from them. At first I was buying anything I saw, mostly at flea markets. Now I'm more discriminating in what I buy. I'm weeding out the ones that aren't "special" or "unusual" and donating them to the library for the used book sale. Most of my cooking is the same recipies I have used over the years, or I will try one now and then that I find on the internet, or here on DC.

I told DH that if I die first, let the kids pick out any that they want and dispose of them as he sees fit. Either sell them to someone who's interested or donate them to the library. 90% of them were bought used for a couple dollars. Only a few were bought new, full price. One of these days when I have some spare time I will type up a list of them. That way if he ever wants to sell them he will have a list of what's available.

Finally got around to sorting through my cookbooks and cleaning off the shelves. I counted 114 books, which did include the group of Pillsbury Bake-Off booklets I got from Mom's stash. I decided to part ways with about five that I've probably never looked at. I have no idea how they got on my shelves...:whistling All I know is after years of just shoving books on the shelves I now have the books in some semblance of order.

Now if I can just find my two Chinese cookbooks...

Actually, I think there are 5 cookbook boxes and another 30 boxes with hardcover and paperback books...then there is the nursing books too, at least 4 of those. I'll have to count them as I empty them, 'cuz I lost count while I was filling them.

I suppose I should have posted that as "37 boxes of COOKBOOKS". He did not mention if he had other books or not. Still, just reading that made my back hurt. :LOL:

A box? I thought you moved multiple boxes. Not as many as Kenji López-Alt, though. While reading an article on "Serious Eats" (seriously addicting :ermm: ) I ran across his comment that he had moved 37 boxes of books cross-country!

Seriously addicting is right. I just read that article, even though I'd already read it :wacko:

One of these days, I should actually count my cookbooks. I guesstimated earlier.

Haven't counted but we've got almost all of ours in the 31-1/2" wide by 41-3/4" tall Billy bookcase from Ikea, 3 shelf areas. It's pretty much full, room for a VERY few more. There are probably about 10 more really ratty looking ones in a closed cabinet plus our self-made 2" ring notebook cookbooks (3 of them), along with a 3 to 3-1/2" deep box of cut-out/printed out recipes that haven't made it into the ring binders yet. We've also got a huge stack of Bon Appetite mags in the closed cabinet, probably going back 3 years as I think that's the last time I went thru and cut-out the recipes we had actually used or might potentially use. We inherited about a-third of the cookbooks when Craig's brother passed. He gave us first pick since we're really only the other family members that cook different cuisines like he did and would use and appreciate them. Others we've just bought over the years or been given them as presents.

I just counted. We have 35 cookbooks. There are also some pamphlets with recipes and our three ring binders of printed out recipes. I'm glad we don't go overboard with the cookbooks, because the house is full of SF books.

My book collection went to the Salvation Army when we moved. Craig kept his favorites. I'm partial to my tablet now and am slowly but surely building up a collection of various genres and authors on it. We had boxes and boxes and boxes of books, some of which I had brought with me when we moved into the old house 20+ years ago, plus all the ones I had collected since.

I have ~85 linial feet of cook books, around 400 books. I don't really bother with counting the magazines but I have all the Fine Cooking for at least one decade and every one of Cooks Illustrated since its original beginning [before it bankoed and Chris bought it].

I traveling now so I don't have allthe listing. I use the programs, Library Thing for ageneral listing of all my library and Eat Your Books for cooking books as well as actually finding something to cook in them.

Do I need them? No, but some are really fun reading.

Finally got around to sorting through my cookbooks and cleaning off the shelves. I counted 114 books...Now if I can just find my two Chinese cookbooks...
It's a Christmas miracle! As I was pulling decoration boxes from under the basement staircase, I spotted a couple of books on top of a box of Himself's old Avalon-Hill war games. Voila! My missing books. I guess that they hadn't fit into the one box I needed for my "basement books" when I was done weeding through my overflow collection before our garage sale. Once back in MA and caught up, we'll need to take a road trip to H-Mart. I'm sure I need some special ingredients... :whistling:

I have one. The 1970 edition of Good Housekeeping. Got it at a yard sale many moons ago. If the recipe isn't in there, then it is to DC or the internet. Living in a studio apartment has it advantages. :angel:

Just got a new book, John Besh's Cooking From the Heart. Since we loved his gnocchi recipe so much, decided we wanted to see more of them. Went to EBay since didn't want to pay full price and found one in very good condition for just over $10 inclg s and h. Book might as well be new. Gorgeous book and some pretty good sounding recipes.

Craig recently got Myron Mixon's book.

We are running out of room in the 3 shelf cookbook shelving unit.

Just got a new book, John Besh's Cooking From the Heart. Since we loved his gnocchi recipe so much, decided we wanted to see more of them. Went to EBay since didn't want to pay full price and found one in very good condition for just over $10 inclg s and h. Book might as well be new. Gorgeous book and some pretty good sounding recipes.

Craig recently got Myron Mixon's book.

We are running out of room in the 3 shelf cookbook shelving unit.

Now I couldn't let a fellow Floridian be a thread killer, now could I? lol

Back
Top Bottom