How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, looky looky what I found. Since no one would talk to me about the cooking game, I went looking on my own. lol

Soooo, I lot of you do have cookbooks. At least a few years ago. lol Unless you all have donated, sold, gave away your books, you still should have enough to play the cooking game. Come on and give it a try. I know some of you said you like to read cookbooks, well how about cooking from them also. Discover your books. Spend a whole week with just one book. Read it, pick out 1 or 2 or 3 recipes to try. The game might also help you clean out some space for a new book or two. :ohmy: So come on, a new game will start Thursday. It just might be your favorite cookbook. ;)

Oh, to answer the question, around 300.

I've got 5 or 6 hundred - I have 2 bookcases in my dining room, and about the same amount in tups upstairs. I have to make another bookcase!

I have just one. I can't even remember the name of it. Every time I use it, more and more it falls apart. But I refuse to get a new one. This one has my favorite bread recipes in it.

Spike has his father's Joy Of Cooking by Mrs. Rombauer. What I didn't learn from my mother growing up, I learned from that book as a new bride. My favorite recipe from JOC is Chantilly Potatoes. I still make them for holidays.

I have just one. I can't even remember the name of it. Every time I use it, more and more it falls apart. But I refuse to get a new one. This one has my favorite bread recipes in it.

Spike has his father's Joy Of Cooking by Mrs. Rombauer. What I didn't learn from my mother growing up, I learned from that book as a new bride. My favorite recipe from JOC is Chantilly Potatoes. I still make them for holidays.

Hi Addie, If I remember correctly, back in 2014 you said you have 2 cookbooks. Good Housekeeping and Joy of Cooking. ;)

Yes, looky looky what I found. Since no one would talk to me about the cooking game, I went looking on my own. lol

Soooo, I lot of you do have cookbooks. At least a few years ago. lol Unless you all have donated, sold, gave away your books, you still should have enough to play the cooking game...
It just might be that some of us do not share your unbridled enthusiasm for playing this game? :huh: I know I have enough "stuff" on my plate (so to speak) that should demand my attention. I also need to use up freezer and pantry supplies in earnest. What I have stocked works well with TnT recipes that we like that are regular rotation dishes at different seasons during the year. It's brainless cooking, and that's what works for me. :LOL:

It just might be that some of us do not share your unbridled enthusiasm for playing this game?:

Unbridled enthusiasm - Is that a polite way of saying I'm pushing the game too much? :ohmy: :LOL:

I like to think of it more as promoting the game. This game means a lot to me. I won't bore you with the details. I'm sorry, no more promoting the game.

:LOL: No, not really! :LOL: I think it's kinda cute. Maybe cute in a manic way. Not my thing, but cute.

I thought I'd like to do some sort of cooking-with-a-plan deal with a book. Joined up with Food 52's Cookbook Club. Once a month, all members are encouraged to cook from the same recommended book. I'm not good cooking with a schedule. I think I'm going through the book for last November right now...

Hi, cookieee. :) Although I do love to try new recipes from my cookbooks and here on this site, like CG I have a freezer full of food that I'm still trying to use up and that includes soups and casseroles, plus my easy faves I fall back on a few times a week.

Plus, I just added a lot more to the freezer from the holidays - mostly ham and turkey. In thinking about it, I think I kind of feel like I had enough pressure to cook on a time constraint in November and December to last me a while, and it's only January...:LOL:

I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm! :flowers:

I'm always adding cookbooks to my collection and I suppose I have close to 3,000 volumes, which does not include all the booklet varieties put out by Pillsbury, etc. It's an addiction that I love and I read them like novels, savoring the spices and flavors.

I'm always adding cookbooks to my collection and I suppose I have close to 3,000 volumes, which does not include all the booklet varieties put out by Pillsbury, etc. It's an addiction that I love and I read them like novels, savoring the spices and flavors.
And I thought that I had a bad addiction! :ohmy:

It took me a year to do a ring binder with all my recipes that I have in my head. Things I make from scratch with no recipe. I do use recipes for new ideas though. My daughter wanted them because she said if anything happened to me my good recipes would be gone. I gave it to her 2 Xmas ago. It has all my secrets. My son doesn't cook and couldn't care less,lol. But when I'm gone he'll be the first around to his sister,lol.

Russ

We, more or less. add recipes to our "Cookbook" file on the pc. We get some magazines and if we try a recipe(s) from any of them we really like, they get downloaded into that file from the websites.

Hi Addie, If I remember correctly, back in 2014 you said you have 2 cookbooks. Good Housekeeping and Joy of Cooking. ;)

Joy of Cooking Spike now has. And I still have the GH one that is falling apart. I also have some booklets that I have saved over the year. One is all about cooking during the 1700. I have to laugh at that one. I don't have a fire place to do all my cooking. But it makes for interesting reading.

Joy of Cooking Spike now has. And I still have the GH one that is falling apart. I also have some booklets that I have saved over the year. One is all about cooking during the 1700. I have to laugh at that one. I don't have a fire place to do all my cooking. But it makes for interesting reading.

I remember some years ago, one week we played the game using our booklets and pamplets. That was fun and very informative.

:LOL: No, not really! :LOL: I think it's kinda cute. Maybe cute in a manic way. Not my thing, but cute.

I thought I'd like to do some sort of cooking-with-a-plan deal with a book. Joined up with Food 52's Cookbook Club. Once a month, all members are encouraged to cook from the same recommended book. I'm not good cooking with a schedule. I think I'm going through the book for last November right now...

This sounds like fun also. In my case, I don't recommend the same book, just a number, and you get to use your own book. And since no one is looking over your shoulder, I am sure players in the past have used whatever cookbook they want, not the # of the week. lol

Although I probably have only 1/10 what you got, I also read them like novels . I often take a few when I go away on vacation, business or whatever just to read on my down time.

Time for an update? How is everybody doing with their collection? I have been going through my cookbooks (it's been very slow lol) and printing out what recipes appeal to us and then put the cookbook in a big plastic box and hope someday soon to decide which ones to donate and which ones to try and sell.

For various reasons, I no longer cook like I used to. Nobody to cook for.

Alas! I do my best cooking for others. Harder to cook for one.

We have about 40 cookbooks and I use about 6-8. I also have a spring binder of recipes printed off the net, and quite a few recipe screenshots saved on the iPad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom