"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #161
Executive Chef

nice, good choices, siegal. hey, they look like two cookbooks pf once had.... :)

Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #162
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
nice, good choices, siegal. hey, they look like two cookbooks pf once had.... :)

Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #163
Sous Chef

I'm like Wankel. I have too many to count and can't bear the thought of parting with a single one. I buy almost every "fund raiser" cook book and sometimes find great recipes. I buy them mostly because of the fund raising. The group is working to make money no begging for a hand out.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #164
Cook

I have quite a few incl Jamie Oliver,Nigella Lawson,Gordon Ramsay,Stephanie Alexander & Maggie Beer plus some cooking magazines.
I also have a few boxes of the little recipe booklets they attach to the front cover of a lot of magazines when you buy them.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #165
Chef Extraordinaire

I still have my trusty old Good Housekeeping. It is falling apart everywhere. I have started to copy my favorite ones. I have the feeling that some of those loose pages are going to get lost.

Spike is going to look through his father belongings that are stored in a garage. He is is pretty sure his original (First printing) of the Joy of Cooking is there. When his father died, I let the kids have their pick of anything they wanted. What the others didn't take, he stored. And that book was one of them. I loved that book. I read it like a novel. We were married in the late 50's. So the next edition hadn't come out yet. And yes, I know it is worth a lot of money today. I just don't know that my kids do. I will have to make a codicil to my will. But I first have to decide what to do with it. I still have plenty of time to give it some thought.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #166
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I still have my trusty old Good Housekeeping. It is falling apart everywhere. I have started to copy my favorite ones. I have the feeling that some of those loose pages are going to get lost.

Spike is going to look through his father belongings that are stored in a garage. He is is pretty sure his original (First printing) of the Joy of Cooking is there. When his father died, I let the kids have their pick of anything they wanted. What the others didn't take, he stored. And that book was one of them. I loved that book. I read it like a novel. We were married in the late 50's. So the next edition hadn't come out yet. And yes, I know it is worth a lot of money today. I just don't know that my kids do. I will have to make a codicil to my will. But I first have to decide what to do with it. I still have plenty of time to give it some thought.
Oh....if that is the 1932 edition, what a lovely book to have. It is the first cookbook that was written in a more "motherly" voice and one that didn't assume the only people cooking were women. There's an interesting paper on MUSE about gender and cookbooks and this edition is mention. What would I have to do to get in line to inherit it? As of sometime next week, PF will have one more cookbook (and it will be hard to hide it from Shrek).
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Not much CSW. I just wish I could split it up to make a few folks really happy. Lets just say you would be on the short list.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #168
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Not much CSW. I just wish I could split it up to make a few folks really happy. Lets just say you would be on the short list.
I'd put a codicil in my will to pass it back to your son! I'm groveling! I'd offer my firstborn, but I don't have one of those...unless you count Pearl or Opal.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'd put a codicil in my will to pass it back to your son! I'm groveling! I'd offer my firstborn, but I don't have one of those...unless you count Pearl or Opal.
And it shows. Your forgot to offer the 'eye of a newt, and the wings of a bat.' First we have to make sure it is still there.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #170
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
And it shows. Your forgot to offer the 'eye of a newt, and the wings of a bat.' First we have to make sure it is still there.
And I'd have to find an eye of a newt and wings of a bat...maybe eBay would be the place to start...

Tags
cook, cookbooks