"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #171
Chef Extraordinaire

We only buy Jamie Oliver cookbooks

Other recipes we just get online

Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #172
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh....if that is the 1932 edition, what a lovely book to have. It is the first cookbook that was written in a more "motherly" voice and one that didn't assume the only people cooking were women. There's an interesting paper on MUSE about gender and cookbooks and this edition is mention. What would I have to do to get in line to inherit it? As of sometime next week, PF will have one more cookbook (and it will be hard to hide it from Shrek).
I'll be able to say, "What? This old thing?"

I can't tell, what color shoes are you wearing?

Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #173
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Spike is going to look through his father belongings that are stored in a garage. He is is pretty sure his original (First printing) of the Joy of Cooking is there.
Addie,I too have that cookbook though its a revised 1998 edition. I picked it up quite cheaply at a garage sale here. There is just so much information and recipes in there I just love it. I really feel its a must have in every cooks bookcase. Nothing beats a good cook book in my opinion

I'm wondering now Addie, whether yours being an original edition,will it be worth lots you think?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #174
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasroc View Post
Addie,I too have that cookbook though its a revised 1998 edition. I picked it up quite cheaply at a garage sale here. There is just so much information and recipes in there I just love it. I really feel its a must have in every cooks bookcase. Nothing beats a good cook book in my opinion

I'm wondering now Addie, whether yours being an original edition,will it be worth lots you think?
To answer both of you. First I have to find the book. Son #2 may have it. He is the only one in the family that can add Sous Chef to his resume. I do know the book is a first edition. So that would make it very valuable. If I were to put it on eBay (No, not for real) and put it up for a 15 day auction, you can bet there would be some really big food names bidding on it. The word would spread very quickly throughout the food world. Everytime a chef is asked what cookbooks he would recommend, the Joy of Cooking is always on the list. And a first edition is like gold. You know what the price of gold is today. But I choose to either keep it in the family or give it to someone who would cherish it. It really belongs to the kids. I gave them carte blanch when their father died. They could have anything of his they wanted. The rest has been stored and no second thought has gone to it until now. I know as his widow, I have first rights. But I relinquished them to his children. And I would never go back on my word.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #175
Cook

Good on ya Addie,whomever gets this treasured cookbook is going to love it and have it as their pride and joy in the bookcase or even behind glass on display.

I so know I would
Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #176
Cook

Without doing the exaggerated head count, I think I have we over 100 cookbooks in various shelves all over the house. I haven't stopped to count the ones on my Kindle..but there are a lot. My Amazon wish list is full of cookbooks, and I often use inter library loan to preview books I might want in my collection. That reminds me, I need to find a replacement for my second copy of The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals; this one is falling apart.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #177
Executive Chef

I collect cookbooks. I think I have over 100 of them. It started out with some of the Church Cookbooks they sell for fundraisers but now I only buy unusual cookbooks and I never pay much for them. I don't actually cook from them, just collect them.

Yesterday at Goodwill I got one called "Are You Hungry Tonight? Elvis' Favorite Recipes." I know it sounds corny, but it's a really novel addition to my collection. It is hardback with a dust cover in perfect condition, many southern recipes and pictures...of the food and of Elvis. I get excited over the smallest things sometimes!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/are-...=9780760763025
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #178
Cook

Few cookbooks, a growing collection of magazines. Although we decided to slow down on the magazines until we make a few things from them, after the last couple weeks we are open to another purchase. Yea! Biggest problem we have is printed recipes, a six inch pile of loose printer paper. We have made attempts to deal with all the paper but then we end up at the grocery store shopping for items on one of the recipes.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #179
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
Few cookbooks, a growing collection of magazines. Although we decided to slow down on the magazines until we make a few things from them, after the last couple weeks we are open to another purchase. Yea! Biggest problem we have is printed recipes, a six inch pile of loose printer paper. We have made attempts to deal with all the paper but then we end up at the grocery store shopping for items on one of the recipes.
You need a three leaf binder to organize your recipes. Also some dividers.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #180
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I collect cookbooks. I think I have over 100 of them. It started out with some of the Church Cookbooks they sell for fundraisers but now I only buy unusual cookbooks and I never pay much for them. I don't actually cook from them, just collect them.

Yesterday at Goodwill I got one called "Are You Hungry Tonight? Elvis' Favorite Recipes." I know it sounds corny, but it's a really novel addition to my collection. It is hardback with a dust cover in perfect condition, many southern recipes and pictures...of the food and of Elvis. I get excited over the smallest things sometimes!

Are You Hungry Tonight?: Elvis' Favorite Recipes by Brenda Butler | 9780760763025 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble
That one sounds like fun!

I do the same thing, it's cheap entertainment. I am always amazed at the wonderful books, of all types, that people seem to casually discard. I enjoy the cookbooks that are written more like a story than just a collection of recipes. The food people eat is a wonderful place to start learning about the history and culture of the people involved. The downside is the amount of room they take up and all of the lugging and tugging involved when it is time to move them, everything has a price!

Tags
cook, cookbooks