"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #181
Executive Chef

I think I've mentioned this before but I, er, have over 300 cookery books. I can't walk past a book shop or the book shelves in a charity shop without browsing. No, I don't want anymore, I haven't got room for any more....Oh I'll just have a peek at that one....I'm not going to buy it.....No......No..... Oh, alright then.

Amazon is the one I blame. "Used" cookery books in perfect condition for one penny. Elizabeth David, Daniel Galmiche, Jamie Oliver, you name it I've fallen for it.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #182
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I think I've mentioned this before but I, er, have over 300 cookery books. I can't walk past a book shop or the book shelves in a charity shop without browsing. No, I don't want anymore, I haven't got room for any more....Oh I'll just have a peek at that one....I'm not going to buy it.....No......No..... Oh, alright then.

Amazon is the one I blame. "Used" cookery books in perfect condition for one penny. Elizabeth David, Daniel Galmiche, Jamie Oliver, you name it I've fallen for it.
I'm in the same boat, I have started putting together a shelf of keepers that will stay with me as I continue to downsize, the remainder must go at some point!

I enjoy Elizabeth David although I was disappointed in the book called Christmas, I think it was pieced together after her death.

I like odd little books that were written by people experiencing difficult times and those that paint a cozy picture of home life.

I don't spend much money on them, I buy most of them in the "after market".

I recently picked up one you may be familiar with called "John Fothergill's Cookery Book". It was an interesting little book.

Do you have any special cookbook titles you could share, I still have a little room left on the shelf!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #183
Executive Chef

Do you have this one? LOL

Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook: Ken Beck, Jim Clark, Julia M. Pitkin: 9781558530980: Amazon.com: Books
Old 12-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #184
Master Chef

Yes,

I have one that is a general cookbook and one that is desserts only. If you look past the corny names they gave the recipes you find some great food!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #185
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Yes,

I have one that is a general cookbook and one that is desserts only. If you look past the corny names they gave the recipes you find some great food!
LOL!! I have a Star Wars cookbook, a Pern Cook Book...the silly names do hide some really good recipes.

My sweet tart dough I got from the Pern book.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #186
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm in the same boat, I have started putting together a shelf of keepers that will stay with me as I continue to downsize, the remainder must go at some point!

I enjoy Elizabeth David although I was disappointed in the book called Christmas, I think it was pieced together after her death.

I like odd little books that were written by people experiencing difficult times and those that paint a cozy picture of home life.

I don't spend much money on them, I buy most of them in the "after market".

I recently picked up one you may be familiar with called "John Fothergill's Cookery Book". It was an interesting little book.

Do you have any special cookbook titles you could share, I still have a little room left on the shelf!
Anything by Jane Grigson. She died in 1990 but her books are still in print and Amazon has some "used" ones for 1 penny. It's a good job I've got them all!

Haven't heard of John Fothergill. I must look him up.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #187
Certified Cake Maniac

I have way too many to admit to.

TB has given strict orders to all family and friends that they are NOT to buy me any more cookbooks as gifts because he has no more room to build shelves for them.

That's totally fine because now I have Kindle on my tablet/notebook.

My Newest, which is FROM TB and is actually a book (because HE was interested in it to) Michael Smith's "Back To Basics". Yes, the same Michael Smith of my quote. He was born in New York, but has called PEI his home for many years and is one of Canada's leading Chefs. It is taking simple basic foods and giving them a modern twist!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #188
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yes,

I have one, too. I think it is the general cookbook.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #189
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Just wondering how many?
Too many to keep a count of. Most of them were my roommate's who passed away in 2003 or my daughter's who doesn't have room for them in her apartmwent right now.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #190
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I have way too many to admit to.

TB has given strict orders to all family and friends that they are NOT to buy me any more cookbooks as gifts because he has no more room to build shelves for them.

That's totally fine because now I have Kindle on my tablet/notebook.

My Newest, which is FROM TB and is actually a book (because HE was interested in it to) Michael Smith's "Back To Basics". Yes, the same Michael Smith of my quote. He was born in New York, but has called PEI his home for many years and is one of Canada's leading Chefs. It is taking simple basic foods and giving them a modern twist!
That's on my wishlist...I love his approach to cooking--much like my approach, except I don't have a chalkboard in my kitchen!

Tags
cook, cookbooks