"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #191
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That's on my wishlist...I love his approach to cooking--much like my approach, except I don't have a chalkboard in my kitchen!
You can buy chalkboard paint and paint a section of a wall or the front of your fridge.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #192
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,838
We have only a handful of cookbooks and never use any of them except my BBQ sauce handbook. I just use it for measurements when making my BBQ sauce.

My wife also inherited two southern church type paperback cookbooks that are great for southern style food. They are quite simple. Every recipe takes no ore than 1/4 page and has all basic ingredients. Not a culinary masterpiece by any stretch, but will get you by if you need help.
I have only used one of them when I needed a converter.

Otherwise, we really have no cookbooks that we actually use.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #193
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
I have two. Good Housekeeping printed in the late 60's. And the original Joy of Cooking. The JOC has been put away for safe keeping. It was my first husband's that he received when he graduated from culinary school in England. I don't know what the value of it is, just that it needs to be cared for. Spike has put it in storage.

I also have some paper ones that my church used to put out each year for sale at their yearly Fair and Bean Supper. One is for Colonial recipes including direction of how close to cook it to the fire in the fireplace.

My Good Housekeeping one is falling apart from all the use. If a needed recipe isn't in it, then I go to the Internet or here at DC.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #194
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,838
I am amazed at my ability all these years to make pretty much anything without the help of a cookbook.
I am no professional for sure, but in most cases all I need is to try the dish and then I can make the dish or a close relative to the dish....lol
I can honestly say I have butchered several dishes and came out with what I like to call "my version".
Usually it was something I had no idea how to make, but it turned out good and over time I improve on these trials.
I guess a cookbook may have saved me a lot of extra unnecessary work. But I sure did learn many things from my trial and error approach.

Another reason is my repertoire is not as varied as some would like. I make similar or exact dishes in rotation.
So the need for a cookbook is not needed. I have made the dish numerous times before, so I know how to make it.
Like fried tomato's that I made yesterday. I used my knowledge about breading and frying and they came out great. Never made them before. But so simple.
I would never need a cookbook to make them.
Now i might want your recipe for them, not because i cannot make them, but because your recipe might be better than mine and I learn something. Like with Katie today.

Like you Addie, if i have a question or am making new dish, I use the internet and lately I have come here for help.
But for me unless its something exotic, with ingredients I would not normally keep on hand, I can make it without a cookbook.
I have been doing so for over 45 years.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #195
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
My cookbook collection is not for cooking, just for collecting. (dust, mainly, LOL) My shelves are full and now I am accumulating some on the spare bed. For now I am going to put the overflow in a box. When I get to it, I am going to go through them and see which ones I don't want anymore. They will be given away to friends or family or donated to the library. I didn't pay much for any of them. I bought most of them at flea markets and thrift stores.

When I'm cooking, I usually just use my tried and true recipes I've used over the years or I google. I also have a recipe file in Word on my computer. In there I have recipes people have posted and I have copied. I inherited this trait from my mother. When she passed away, she had a huge box of recipes she had clipped from newspapers and magazines.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #196
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have two. Good Housekeeping printed in the late 60's. And the original Joy of Cooking. The JOC has been put away for safe keeping. It was my first husband's that he received when he graduated from culinary school in England. I don't know what the value of it is, just that it needs to be cared for. Spike has put it in storage.

I also have some paper ones that my church used to put out each year for sale at their yearly Fair and Bean Supper. One is for Colonial recipes including direction of how close to cook it to the fire in the fireplace.

My Good Housekeeping one is falling apart from all the use. If a needed recipe isn't in it, then I go to the Internet or here at DC.
Don't allow yourself to be seduced into replacing your GH with the latest edition. I thought I'd up-date (fortunately I didn't throw out the old one) but when it arrived I realised why it only cost one penny! It seems to have dispensed with a lot of the "how to" information and doesn't seem to have as many recipes in it either.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #197
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My cookbook collection is not for cooking, just for collecting. (dust, mainly, LOL) My shelves are full and now I am accumulating some on the spare bed. For now I am going to put the overflow in a box. When I get to it, I am going to go through them and see which ones I don't want anymore. They will be given away to friends or family or donated to the library. I didn't pay much for any of them. I bought most of them at flea markets and thrift stores.

When I'm cooking, I usually just use my tried and true recipes I've used over the years or I google. I also have a recipe file in Word on my computer. In there I have recipes people have posted and I have copied. I inherited this trait from my mother. When she passed away, she had a huge box of recipes she had clipped from newspapers and magazines.
I've used most of mine at least once but some I use for reference and one or two are just for reading.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #198
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Don't allow yourself to be seduced into replacing your GH with the latest edition. I thought I'd up-date (fortunately I didn't throw out the old one) but when it arrived I realised why it only cost one penny! It seems to have dispensed with a lot of the "how to" information and doesn't seem to have as many recipes in it either.
Wouldn't dream of it. Love my old beat up edition. Whole sections have come loose from the binding. But I just keep stuffing it back between the covers.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #199
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
I get cookbooks to read. Every time I get them pared down, more seem to pop up, in my shopping bag.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #200
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I get cookbooks to read. Every time I get them pared down, more seem to pop up, in my shopping bag.

Yes. I seem to have a similar affliction.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, cookbooks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.