"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #221
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I got my Great grandmother's recipe box.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire
I got my grandma's two handwritten "cookbooks," my great-aunt's recipe box, and my paternal grandmother's recipe box. And, 1000+ physical cookbooks and I don't know how many are on my kindle. I have a 4-bedroom house. One bedroom, the smallest one, is my cookbook library.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #223
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I am still regretting letting it go.
I can imagine how hard that was. What a great story, though!

I confess to 1500 or so if you count a couple of boxes of old cookbooklets and pamphlets. One of my jobs is to evaluate donations to my library and decide what goes into the collection and what gets sent to the Friends of the Library book sale. Right now I have about a 3' stack of cookbooks to go through. It's a hard job but somebody's gotta do it . I started cataloging my collection in Librarything because I was dragging home so many duplicates from the sale.

Addicted? Nahhhhhhh....
Bookbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #224
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Well, thanks to this thread, I just got inspired to clean out a 3 foot stack of cookbooks from one of my cupboards. I plan to do similar with a cabinet full of horticulture books. Hopefully the local library will take them!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #225
Head Chef
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
When we moved almost 3000 across the Pacific Ocean,
I whittled down my books in general, significantly... Matson Shipping Line ain't cheap!
I must have taken 10 car loads of books over to our local Library for donation.
Prior to doing so, I went through my cookbooks and scanned my favorite recipes; printed them out and put them into a three ring binder.
Did you know that you can write-off the face value of a book or magazine that you donate on your Income Tax? get a receipt...
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #226
Executive Chef
I am planning on purging some of my cookbooks soon, too. When I started my collection I was buying anything. Now I am more discriminating and want to get rid of some of the others. I will donate them to the library as they have book sales every month and said cookbooks are good sellers. My most recent find was cute and I bought it because it was different. It is called The Redneck Grill, subtitle, the most fun you can have with fire, charcoal and dead animals. Written by Jeff Foxworthy. It is more of a conversation piece rather than a real cookbook, with some comical illustrations, but it does have real grilling recipes and tips about choosing sauces, cooking steaks to order and using a meat thermometer. It has a section for Things You Raise, Things You Hunt or Catch, and Things Without A Face, for veggies, desserts etc. I like it.

I also bought a cookbook called PA Hunters Game Cookbook, which I passed on to my step-son who is an avid hunter.

Goodwill gets a wide variety of cookbooks in as people donate what they don't want.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #227
Master Chef
I agree Goodwill is a great place to find cookbooks.

Last week I picked up a copy of "The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook" by Christopher Kimball for $1.99, it originally sold for $37.00. I am enjoying reading it and will pass it along to someone else when I'm done or donate it to a charity shop.

I find it is also a great place to pick up all sorts of odd cooking equipment for a few pennies on the dollar. It amazes me when I see heavy Nordic Ware baking pans, popover pans, pudding basins etc... for a couple of dollars.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #228
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Just wondering how many?
Well, I did have over 300 but I recently took 4 big bagsful to the charity shop last week.

Now I still have over 300!
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #229
Master Chef
I think I just have a couple of books on BBQ'ing. That's it for me.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #230
Wine Guy
I have maybe a dozen. I took most of what I had to Half Price Books several years ago because.... well, honestly... I never open them anymore.

I have a few that are favorites, including one that my mother gave to me when I was a little kid. I also have some that I picked up in Europe.

And yes, I do have my grandmother's recipe box, too.

But these days, it seems like when I need a recipe I just go to the internet and get one.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote

cook, cookbooks