"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #231
Executive Chef

I have more cookbooks than I can use before the end of my life!

Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 AM   #232
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one cookbook that is falling apart. And if the internet can be considered a cookbook, then I am in the possession of a world collection. If I like a recipe, I will copy it, place it in a word document and in my own file of recipes. About once a month I do a backup. Each recipe goes into it own folder. Main dishes, cakes, soups, breads, etc. Saves room on my bookshelf.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #233
Chef Extraordinaire

Currently, I have over 1000 hard copy cookbooks and 1400 electronic cookbooks. This does not include the 6 recipe boxes I have or the 2 handwritten cookbooks that were my grandma's. I have 18 cookbooks spread out on the floor right now--researching some common comfort foods and their ingredients, what makes the recipe pop...the irony is that when I cook for myself, I don't use recipes...
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #234
Executive Chef

I agree that Goodwill is a great place to get bargains. I have way more cooking utensils etc than I will ever use but I just can't pass up a bargain.

I don't USE my cookbooks, just collect them! It was something to fill up my step-daughter's room so there wouldn't be a way for her to ever move back in! LOL (just kidding!)
Old 02-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #235
Head Chef

I don't really have that many cookbooks any more. I have "Silver Spoon", "The Way to Cook" by Julia Child, Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades by Steven Raichlen, and FISH by Mark Bittman. Along with a couple of bread machine books, that's about it. I have Living Cookbook on my computer, and a loose leaf binder with a couple hundred recipes printed from the internet or cut out of magazines and newspapers.

The internet is such an easy and available resource that I just don't see the need to clutter the kitchen with all of those books any more. We probably donated some 50 or more books to Goodwill before we moved to the Bahamas 3 years ago. I've never really missed them. Most of the TNT recipes from them are in my Living Cookbook.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #236
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I don't really have that many cookbooks any more. I have "Silver Spoon", "The Way to Cook" by Julia Child, Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades by Steven Raichlen, and FISH by Mark Bittman. Along with a couple of bread machine books, that's about it. I have Living Cookbook on my computer, and a loose leaf binder with a couple hundred recipes printed from the internet or cut out of magazines and newspapers.

The internet is such an easy and available resource that I just don't see the need to clutter the kitchen with all of those books any more. We probably donated some 50 or more books to Goodwill before we moved to the Bahamas 3 years ago. I've never really missed them. Most of the TNT recipes from them are in my Living Cookbook.
I agree--the Internet is an easy and available resource. When I worked in the travel industry, I used to pick up a Jr. League cookbook or church cookbook as my souvenir (before that, it was charms, but my charm bracelet got too full). I love going through the handwritten recipe cards in my mom's, grandmas', and great-aunts' recipe boxes. The clippings from newspapers that they saved. It gives me a sense of their tastes, what was popular, and budgeting. I read cookbooks as an extension of understanding culture--the depression era cookbooks give me an insight of how people survived, etc. I guess cooking shows have replaced cookbooks...my rule is that fiction gets donated, non-fiction I keep.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #237
Master Chef

I was out rummaging yesterday and came across a copy of a cook book I had parted with years ago. It was like running into an old friend. If you have a chance pick up a copy of this great book that tells the story of five friends that started a deli in Amagansett, New York back in the 70's. Great read and some great summer recipes.

What's one more cook book, go ahead, spend a penny!

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: The Store Cookbook: Recipes and Recollection from The Store in Amagansett
Old 04-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #238
Senior Cook

I have to admit that I don't know how many cookbooks I have. Lots?
Old 05-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #239
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
And I'd have to find an eye of a newt and wings of a bat...maybe eBay would be the place to start...
An update on the book. Spike found it in the garage in Newton. And it is the 1932 Edition. I told him the possible value of the book and how rare it is. So we both agreed, we would go in together for rental of a safe deposit box in the bank with both our names on it as account holders. The book is going in there. Since Spike is the oldest child of his father, it will go to him automatically. Spike loves to cook. If Pirate outlives him, the book will go to him. Pirate has actually worked on the line in restaurants. Then I will put his name on the account. When I talked to him about it, he told me that his oldest son shows less interest in his grandfather than the youngest boy. So it will go to him. And not his oldest.

When their father died, Spike had to clean out his apartment. He just tossed everything into boxes without really looking at anything. Then he brought it all to Newton and put it in the garage with all his tools and other junk. Right now Spike has the book at home and is looking through it. Every so often, he will call and tell me, "Ma, did you know that to cook ....." "Yes Spike, I learned to cook from that book." Two hours later, "Yes Spike I learned to cook from that book." He is absolutely enthralled with the book. And the fact that it was his father's first cookbook that he bought after he graduated from culinary school, makes it more special to him.

I loved the stories she told in that cookbook. Those stories made me want to learn more about cooking. More so than anything my mother may have taught me. Spike has even discovered handwritten notes that both his father had written and mine. I would hate to see it leave the family.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #240
Senior Cook

I have two cookbooks on my iPad, one of them is the Paprika app for iPhone/iPad. I love both of them, they really help me in my cooking and nutrition education.

Tags
cook, cookbooks