"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #241
Chef Extraordinaire

Just added 15 more for plating ideas when cooking for the food photographer. I figured I would need to be 326 to çook my way through all the cookbooks I have.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #242
Executive Chef

I have a huge collection, but I just collect them, don't cook from them. At first I was buying anything I saw, mostly at flea markets. Now I'm more discriminating in what I buy. I'm weeding out the ones that aren't "special" or "unusual" and donating them to the library for the used book sale. Most of my cooking is the same recipies I have used over the years, or I will try one now and then that I find on the internet, or here on DC.

I told DH that if I die first, let the kids pick out any that they want and dispose of them as he sees fit. Either sell them to someone who's interested or donate them to the library. 90% of them were bought used for a couple dollars. Only a few were bought new, full price. One of these days when I have some spare time I will type up a list of them. That way if he ever wants to sell them he will have a list of what's available.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #243
Master Chef

Finally got around to sorting through my cookbooks and cleaning off the shelves. I counted 114 books, which did include the group of Pillsbury Bake-Off booklets I got from Mom's stash. I decided to part ways with about five that I've probably never looked at. I have no idea how they got on my shelves... All I know is after years of just shoving books on the shelves I now have the books in some semblance of order.

Now if I can just find my two Chinese cookbooks...
Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #244
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got all mine off the shelf, too...they are in a box in storage
Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #245
Master Chef

A box? I thought you moved multiple boxes. Not as many as Kenji López-Alt, though. While reading an article on "Serious Eats" (seriously addicting ) I ran across his comment that he had moved 37 boxes of books cross-country!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #246
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Actually, I think there are 5 cookbook boxes and another 30 boxes with hardcover and paperback books...then there is the nursing books too, at least 4 of those. I'll have to count them as I empty them, 'cuz I lost count while I was filling them.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #247
Master Chef

I suppose I should have posted that as "37 boxes of COOKBOOKS". He did not mention if he had other books or not. Still, just reading that made my back hurt.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 AM   #248
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I suppose I should have posted that as "37 boxes of COOKBOOKS". He did not mention if he had other books or not. Still, just reading that made my back hurt.
Errrrr...I'm just crazy, not insane

I still have to move those boxes one more time...
Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
A box? I thought you moved multiple boxes. Not as many as Kenji López-Alt, though. While reading an article on "Serious Eats" (seriously addicting ) I ran across his comment that he had moved 37 boxes of books cross-country!
Seriously addicting is right. I just read that article, even though I'd already read it

One of these days, I should actually count my cookbooks. I guesstimated earlier.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #250
Head Chef

Haven't counted but we've got almost all of ours in the 31-1/2" wide by 41-3/4" tall Billy bookcase from Ikea, 3 shelf areas. It's pretty much full, room for a VERY few more. There are probably about 10 more really ratty looking ones in a closed cabinet plus our self-made 2" ring notebook cookbooks (3 of them), along with a 3 to 3-1/2" deep box of cut-out/printed out recipes that haven't made it into the ring binders yet. We've also got a huge stack of Bon Appetite mags in the closed cabinet, probably going back 3 years as I think that's the last time I went thru and cut-out the recipes we had actually used or might potentially use. We inherited about a-third of the cookbooks when Craig's brother passed. He gave us first pick since we're really only the other family members that cook different cuisines like he did and would use and appreciate them. Others we've just bought over the years or been given them as presents.

Tags
cook, cookbooks