"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

I only have a couple, I don't understand how all these people need hundreds and hundreds of them, although I guess people don't understand why I need hundreds and hundreds of sneakers so I'm not one to judge. I have the better homes and gardens cookbook also and i love it since it has pretty much everything I think I could need, and when it fails me i just go to the internet.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyo16 View Post
I only have a couple, I don't understand how all these people need hundreds and hundreds of them, although I guess people don't understand why I need hundreds and hundreds of sneakers so I'm not one to judge. I have the better homes and gardens cookbook also and i love it since it has pretty much everything I think I could need, and when it fails me i just go to the internet.
I am just a happy reading a cookbook as I am a novel...I just like to read and I get a lot of really good ideas from cookbooks.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I am just a happy reading a cookbook as I am a novel...I just like to read and I get a lot of really good ideas from cookbooks.
I'm right there with you PF! I read cookbooks almost as much as I read this forum!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I love to read cookbooks. I had a look the other day, a lot of mine are obviously well used....
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Tons of books!

I couldn't really tell you how many cookbooks I have, I guess you could say I love to collect them. A friend of mine gave me a big box of old as in 70-80 years old cookbooks that belonged to her grandmother. I was like a kid in a candy store. Just like the other posters I am just as happy to read a cookbook as someone else would be a novel. Also I won't tell you how many cooking magazines and DVR'd cooking shows I have
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I came to say the same thing, I just enjoy reading them, even if I don't cook out of all of them.

Lots of them are great for inspiration.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #47
Cook

A Cookbook Library...

So many that I've gotten rid of a lot, and get teased about it by hubby, father-in-law, and three brothers-in-law. When I remarried three years ago (in midlife, after early widowhood), family members who helped me move into husband's home did some humorous ribbing about having to carry all the (book) boxes. And now they're looking for gourmet meals! o:)))

I love to cook out of my cookbooks but also adore just reading them in the a.m. with my coffee, in evening after dinner, etc. So much culture and creativity. In addition to the many on my shelf, I must have 20 cookbooks on my Amazon.com Wish List! So many cookbooks, so little time...
Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #48
Executive Chef

i do not own a single cookbook. any recommendations for a cookbook that would qualify as a "good read" in your book? :)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #49
Sous Chef

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, by Harold McGee.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #50
Head Chef

The best food and cooking "read" is M.F.K. Fisher. Mary Francis Kennedy Fisher may have been the best American writer of any genre and, happily, wrote mostly of food, cooking, and life. And had an extraordinary life to back it up. If you happened to have noticed she wrote The Cooking of Provincial France for the Time-Life series, don't hold it against her. The editors gutted her prose of almost all that was interesting.

The best beginning is The Art of Eating. Amazon.com: The Art of Eating (9780764542619): M. F. K. Fisher, Joan Reardon: Books

It is a compilation of several of her best foodie writings, and it will save you the trouble of reading just one of them and feeling compelled to hunt down the others. While not a "cookbook," some of the pieces contain a number of recipes.

You can pick it up for next to nothing on Half.com:
Half.com: The Art of Eating by M. F. K. Fisher (1990, Paperback, Reprint)(9780020322207): M. F. K. Fisher: Books

The list of her writings is here:
M.F.K. Fisher

Tags
cook, cookbooks