"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
The best food and cooking "read" is M.F.K. Fisher. Mary Francis Kennedy Fisher may have been the best American writer of any genre and, happily, wrote mostly of food, cooking, and life. And had an extraordinary life to back it up. If you happened to have noticed she wrote The Cooking of Provincial France for the Time-Life series, don't hold it against her. The editors gutted her prose of almost all that was interesting.

The best beginning is The Art of Eating. Amazon.com: The Art of Eating (9780764542619): M. F. K. Fisher, Joan Reardon: Books

It is a compilation of several of her best foodie writings, and it will save you the trouble of reading just one of them and feeling compelled to hunt down the others. While not a "cookbook," some of the pieces contain a number of recipes.

You can pick it up for next to nothing on Half.com:
Half.com: The Art of Eating by M. F. K. Fisher (1990, Paperback, Reprint)(9780020322207): M. F. K. Fisher: Books

The list of her writings is here:
M.F.K. Fisher

thanks a lot, glc! songs of praise resound from all around for mfk fisher's writings and the art of eating. makes me wonder how i've manage to live so long without hearing of her before now. this book was written in 1954 (i think) and is said to contain interesting historical nuggets from fisher's life living in europe during wwii. i can't wait to get my hands on this book to read it--bertrand russell and gertrude stein are names linked with fisher, carelessly dropped like candy wrappers in the breeze....i found a copy for under five dollars on ebay, so psyched!!!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, by Harold McGee.

thanks a lot for your recommendation of this fine book, s.s. as soon a i find a reasonably priced copy, i'm buying it. it sounds like an intriguing read about the origins, interactions and uses of various foods around the world! or maybe i'll put mcgee on my christmas wish list....

Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thanks a lot, glc! songs of praise resound from all around for mfk fisher's writings and the art of eating. makes me wonder how i've manage to live so long without hearing of her before now. this book was written in 1954 (i think) and is said to contain interesting historical nuggets from fisher's life living in europe during wwii. i can't wait to get my hands on this book to read it--bertrand russell and gertrude stein are names linked with fisher, carelessly dropped like candy wrappers in the breeze....i found a copy for under five dollars on ebay, so psyched!!!
How to Cook A Wolf by MFK Fisher and the Alice B. Toklas cookbook are also interesting.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #54
Senior Cook

I have way more books than I now need (50-60). I prefer to just let my imagination make my recipes

As to good cookbooks I like Amazon.com: Think Like a Chef (9780307406958): Tom Colicchio: Books
Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Gosh, I haven't bought a cookbook in a couple of weeks...I might be sick...
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #56
Senior Cook

I got a new cookbook "Creations" that came with my vitamix machine.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #57
Sous Chef

I can't count them.
Some live in boxes.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

I have over 1000 cookbooks--bought most of them at an auction.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #59
Assistant Cook

Loved reading this post. I just recently built my wife another book case. Her fourth. This one has 265 books on it. But, she's a chef and a darn good cook. lol
Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I've underestimated the number...I know I had 250 before I bought the ones at auction...and they take up a 3-shelf, 12-ft long shelf...not counting the 3 shelf 4 ft. shelf unit, or my lawyer's 3-shelf bookcase, another bookcase, and yet another bookcase, oh and 3 boxes in the closet that don't have a home, or the stack in the bedroom...and let's not start on the magazines!

I had a spreadsheet of the auction ones, but when that computer died, I lost the spreadsheet....maybe a project for January...I'm thinking it is time to cull some of them...but it is so hard to part with even one of them...

Tags
cook, cookbooks