How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm like Wankel. I have too many to count and can't bear the thought of parting with a single one. I buy almost every "fund raiser" cook book and sometimes find great recipes. I buy them mostly because of the fund raising. The group is working to make money no begging for a hand out.

I have quite a few incl Jamie Oliver,Nigella Lawson,Gordon Ramsay,Stephanie Alexander & Maggie Beer plus some cooking magazines.
I also have a few boxes of the little recipe booklets they attach to the front cover of a lot of magazines when you buy them.

I still have my trusty old Good Housekeeping. It is falling apart everywhere. I have started to copy my favorite ones. I have the feeling that some of those loose pages are going to get lost.

Spike is going to look through his father belongings that are stored in a garage. He is is pretty sure his original (First printing) of the Joy of Cooking is there. When his father died, I let the kids have their pick of anything they wanted. What the others didn't take, he stored. And that book was one of them. I loved that book. I read it like a novel. We were married in the late 50's. So the next edition hadn't come out yet. And yes, I know it is worth a lot of money today. I just don't know that my kids do. I will have to make a codicil to my will. But I first have to decide what to do with it. I still have plenty of time to give it some thought. :angel:

Last edited:
I still have my trusty old Good Housekeeping. It is falling apart everywhere. I have started to copy my favorite ones. I have the feeling that some of those loose pages are going to get lost.

Spike is going to look through his father belongings that are stored in a garage. He is is pretty sure his original (First printing) of the Joy of Cooking is there. When his father died, I let the kids have their pick of anything they wanted. What the others didn't take, he stored. And that book was one of them. I loved that book. I read it like a novel. We were married in the late 50's. So the next edition hadn't come out yet. And yes, I know it is worth a lot of money today. I just don't know that my kids do. I will have to make a codicil to my will. But I first have to decide what to do with it. I still have plenty of time to give it some thought. :angel:
Oh....if that is the 1932 edition, what a lovely book to have. It is the first cookbook that was written in a more "motherly" voice and one that didn't assume the only people cooking were women. There's an interesting paper on MUSE about gender and cookbooks and this edition is mention. What would I have to do to get in line to inherit it:innocent:? As of sometime next week, PF will have one more cookbook (and it will be hard to hide it from Shrek).

Last edited:
Not much CSW. I just wish I could split it up to make a few folks really happy. Lets just say you would be on the short list. :angel:

Not much CSW. I just wish I could split it up to make a few folks really happy. Lets just say you would be on the short list. :angel:
I'd put a codicil in my will to pass it back to your son!:LOL: I'm groveling! I'd offer my firstborn, but I don't have one of those...unless you count Pearl or Opal.

I'd put a codicil in my will to pass it back to your son!:LOL: I'm groveling! I'd offer my firstborn, but I don't have one of those...unless you count Pearl or Opal.

And it shows. Your forgot to offer the 'eye of a newt, and the wings of a bat.' First we have to make sure it is still there. :angel:

Oh....if that is the 1932 edition, what a lovely book to have. It is the first cookbook that was written in a more "motherly" voice and one that didn't assume the only people cooking were women. There's an interesting paper on MUSE about gender and cookbooks and this edition is mention. What would I have to do to get in line to inherit it:innocent:? As of sometime next week, PF will have one more cookbook (and it will be hard to hide it from Shrek).

I'll be able to say, "What? This old thing?":LOL:

I can't tell, what color shoes are you wearing?

Spike is going to look through his father belongings that are stored in a garage. He is is pretty sure his original (First printing) of the Joy of Cooking is there.

Addie,I too have that cookbook though its a revised 1998 edition. I picked it up quite cheaply at a garage sale here. There is just so much information and recipes in there I just love it. I really feel its a must have in every cooks bookcase. Nothing beats a good cook book in my opinion :heart:

I'm wondering now Addie, whether yours being an original edition,will it be worth lots you think?

Addie,I too have that cookbook though its a revised 1998 edition. I picked it up quite cheaply at a garage sale here. There is just so much information and recipes in there I just love it. I really feel its a must have in every cooks bookcase. Nothing beats a good cook book in my opinion :heart:

I'm wondering now Addie, whether yours being an original edition,will it be worth lots you think?

To answer both of you. First I have to find the book. Son #2 may have it. He is the only one in the family that can add Sous Chef to his resume. I do know the book is a first edition. So that would make it very valuable. If I were to put it on eBay (No, not for real) and put it up for a 15 day auction, you can bet there would be some really big food names bidding on it. The word would spread very quickly throughout the food world. Everytime a chef is asked what cookbooks he would recommend, the Joy of Cooking is always on the list. And a first edition is like gold. You know what the price of gold is today. But I choose to either keep it in the family or give it to someone who would cherish it. It really belongs to the kids. I gave them carte blanch when their father died. They could have anything of his they wanted. The rest has been stored and no second thought has gone to it until now. I know as his widow, I have first rights. But I relinquished them to his children. And I would never go back on my word. :angel:

Good on ya Addie,whomever gets this treasured cookbook is going to love it and have it as their pride and joy in the bookcase or even behind glass on display.

I so know I would :)

Without doing the exaggerated head count, I think I have we over 100 cookbooks in various shelves all over the house. I haven't stopped to count the ones on my Kindle..but there are a lot. My Amazon wish list is full of cookbooks, and I often use inter library loan to preview books I might want in my collection. That reminds me, I need to find a replacement for my second copy of The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals; this one is falling apart.

I collect cookbooks. I think I have over 100 of them. It started out with some of the Church Cookbooks they sell for fundraisers but now I only buy unusual cookbooks and I never pay much for them. I don't actually cook from them, just collect them.

Yesterday at Goodwill I got one called "Are You Hungry Tonight? Elvis' Favorite Recipes." I know it sounds corny, but it's a really novel addition to my collection. It is hardback with a dust cover in perfect condition, many southern recipes and pictures...of the food and of Elvis. I get excited over the smallest things sometimes!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/are-you-hungry-tonight-brenda-butler/1111873669?ean=9780760763025

Last edited:
Few cookbooks, a growing collection of magazines. Although we decided to slow down on the magazines until we make a few things from them, after the last couple weeks we are open to another purchase. Yea! Biggest problem we have is printed recipes, a six inch pile of loose printer paper. We have made attempts to deal with all the paper but then we end up at the grocery store shopping for items on one of the recipes.

Few cookbooks, a growing collection of magazines. Although we decided to slow down on the magazines until we make a few things from them, after the last couple weeks we are open to another purchase. Yea! Biggest problem we have is printed recipes, a six inch pile of loose printer paper. We have made attempts to deal with all the paper but then we end up at the grocery store shopping for items on one of the recipes.

You need a three leaf binder to organize your recipes. Also some dividers. :angel:

I collect cookbooks. I think I have over 100 of them. It started out with some of the Church Cookbooks they sell for fundraisers but now I only buy unusual cookbooks and I never pay much for them. I don't actually cook from them, just collect them.

Yesterday at Goodwill I got one called "Are You Hungry Tonight? Elvis' Favorite Recipes." I know it sounds corny, but it's a really novel addition to my collection. It is hardback with a dust cover in perfect condition, many southern recipes and pictures...of the food and of Elvis. I get excited over the smallest things sometimes!

Are You Hungry Tonight?: Elvis' Favorite Recipes by Brenda Butler | 9780760763025 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

That one sounds like fun!

I do the same thing, it's cheap entertainment. I am always amazed at the wonderful books, of all types, that people seem to casually discard. I enjoy the cookbooks that are written more like a story than just a collection of recipes. The food people eat is a wonderful place to start learning about the history and culture of the people involved. The downside is the amount of room they take up and all of the lugging and tugging involved when it is time to move them, everything has a price! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom