How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only have a couple, I don't understand how all these people need hundreds and hundreds of them, although I guess people don't understand why I need hundreds and hundreds of sneakers so I'm not one to judge. I have the better homes and gardens cookbook also and i love it since it has pretty much everything I think I could need, and when it fails me i just go to the internet.

I only have a couple, I don't understand how all these people need hundreds and hundreds of them, although I guess people don't understand why I need hundreds and hundreds of sneakers so I'm not one to judge. I have the better homes and gardens cookbook also and i love it since it has pretty much everything I think I could need, and when it fails me i just go to the internet.

I am just a happy reading a cookbook as I am a novel...I just like to read and I get a lot of really good ideas from cookbooks.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I am just a happy reading a cookbook as I am a novel...I just like to read and I get a lot of really good ideas from cookbooks.

I'm right there with you PF! I read cookbooks almost as much as I read this forum!

PrincessFiona60 said:

I love to read cookbooks. I had a look the other day, a lot of mine are obviously well used....

Tons of books!

I couldn't really tell you how many cookbooks I have, I guess you could say I love to collect them. A friend of mine gave me a big box of old as in 70-80 years old cookbooks that belonged to her grandmother. I was like a kid in a candy store. Just like the other posters I am just as happy to read a cookbook as someone else would be a novel. Also I won't tell you how many cooking magazines and DVR'd cooking shows I have;):blush:

I came to say the same thing, I just enjoy reading them, even if I don't cook out of all of them.

Lots of them are great for inspiration.

A Cookbook Library...

So many that I've gotten rid of a lot, and get teased about it by hubby, father-in-law, and three brothers-in-law. When I remarried three years ago (in midlife, after early widowhood), family members who helped me move into husband's home did some humorous ribbing about having to carry all the (book) boxes. And now they're looking for gourmet meals! o:))) :yum:

I love to cook out of my cookbooks but also adore just reading them in the a.m. with my coffee, in evening after dinner, etc. So much culture and creativity. In addition to the many on my shelf, I must have 20 cookbooks on my Amazon.com Wish List! So many cookbooks, so little time...

The best food and cooking "read" is M.F.K. Fisher. Mary Francis Kennedy Fisher may have been the best American writer of any genre and, happily, wrote mostly of food, cooking, and life. And had an extraordinary life to back it up. If you happened to have noticed she wrote The Cooking of Provincial France for the Time-Life series, don't hold it against her. The editors gutted her prose of almost all that was interesting.

The best beginning is The Art of Eating. Amazon.com: The Art of Eating (9780764542619): M. F. K. Fisher, Joan Reardon: Books

It is a compilation of several of her best foodie writings, and it will save you the trouble of reading just one of them and feeling compelled to hunt down the others. While not a "cookbook," some of the pieces contain a number of recipes.

You can pick it up for next to nothing on Half.com:
Half.com: The Art of Eating by M. F. K. Fisher (1990, Paperback, Reprint)(9780020322207): M. F. K. Fisher: Books

The list of her writings is here:
M.F.K. Fisher

The best food and cooking "read" is M.F.K. Fisher. Mary Francis Kennedy Fisher may have been the best American writer of any genre and, happily, wrote mostly of food, cooking, and life. And had an extraordinary life to back it up. If you happened to have noticed she wrote The Cooking of Provincial France for the Time-Life series, don't hold it against her. The editors gutted her prose of almost all that was interesting.

The best beginning is The Art of Eating. Amazon.com: The Art of Eating (9780764542619): M. F. K. Fisher, Joan Reardon: Books

It is a compilation of several of her best foodie writings, and it will save you the trouble of reading just one of them and feeling compelled to hunt down the others. While not a "cookbook," some of the pieces contain a number of recipes.

You can pick it up for next to nothing on Half.com:
Half.com: The Art of Eating by M. F. K. Fisher (1990, Paperback, Reprint)(9780020322207): M. F. K. Fisher: Books

The list of her writings is here:
M.F.K. Fisher

thanks a lot, glc! songs of praise resound from all around for mfk fisher's writings and the art of eating. makes me wonder how i've manage to live so long without hearing of her before now. this book was written in 1954 (i think) and is said to contain interesting historical nuggets from fisher's life living in europe during wwii. i can't wait to get my hands on this book to read it--bertrand russell and gertrude stein are names linked with fisher, carelessly dropped like candy wrappers in the breeze....i found a copy for under five dollars on ebay, so psyched!!!:):):)

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, by Harold McGee.

thanks a lot for your recommendation of this fine book, s.s. as soon a i find a reasonably priced copy, i'm buying it. it sounds like an intriguing read about the origins, interactions and uses of various foods around the world! or maybe i'll put mcgee on my christmas wish list....:)

thanks a lot, glc! songs of praise resound from all around for mfk fisher's writings and the art of eating. makes me wonder how i've manage to live so long without hearing of her before now. this book was written in 1954 (i think) and is said to contain interesting historical nuggets from fisher's life living in europe during wwii. i can't wait to get my hands on this book to read it--bertrand russell and gertrude stein are names linked with fisher, carelessly dropped like candy wrappers in the breeze....i found a copy for under five dollars on ebay, so psyched!!!:):):)

How to Cook A Wolf by MFK Fisher and the Alice B. Toklas cookbook are also interesting.

Loved reading this post. I just recently built my wife another book case. Her fourth. This one has 265 books on it. But, she's a chef and a darn good cook. lol

I think I've underestimated the number...I know I had 250 before I bought the ones at auction...and they take up a 3-shelf, 12-ft long shelf...not counting the 3 shelf 4 ft. shelf unit, or my lawyer's 3-shelf bookcase, another bookcase, and yet another bookcase, oh and 3 boxes in the closet that don't have a home, or the stack in the bedroom...and let's not start on the magazines!

I had a spreadsheet of the auction ones, but when that computer died, I lost the spreadsheet....maybe a project for January...I'm thinking it is time to cull some of them...but it is so hard to part with even one of them...

Back
Top Bottom