How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joy of cooking is wonderful! I bought a new one when I moved here all those years ago.

It has all the basics. Is anybody familiar with the newest version?

I was at my grandmas and "stole" her joy of cooking and an encyclopedia of cooking. These things are old. I found a newspaper recipe folded up in one of the books from 1964! It's really awesome seeing what pages are dirty and guessing what she cooked. And some of the illustrations are incredibly ant-feminist and amusing

1964, old!!! :ermm:

Aunt Bea said:

Well to me! It was 20 yrs before I was born! My mom was barely out if diapers!

Pamala - I have been wanting to get my hands on one as its a classic! Just didn't want to buy a new one....now off to make salad in aspic gelatin with my book from the 50's! Haha

Last edited:
Joy of cooking is wonderful! I bought a new one when I moved here all those years ago.

It has all the basics. Is anybody familiar with the newest version?
I call it my cooking encyclopedia ;), that is, the 1975 edition. I also have the 1998 edition, and it was written by professional chefs, and isn't nearly as good or as complete.

I have read that there is a more recent edition that is more like the older ones. There was apparently a hue and cry from the public over the "chef" edition.

I do not have cookbook addiction. I only have a dozen of the or so, the latest one is the book Andy mention in his bread thread and the only reason I got that one is because it is educational, as the matter of fact most of the books I do have are along those lines. I hate reading instructions and recipes, I do of course, but it is a chore for me. It is different with educational books. It's like that famous saying: “give guy a fish and he will have dinner for one night, teach him to fish and he will have dinner for life”. Educational books teaching us/ me the idea. The idea I can use to make many things rather than one dish.
That is why I have a lot of educational books. Mostly Bible education. I turned our dining room into library to accommodate all the book shelves that we have.

lost count

:chef: I honestly have lost count!!! I think I have about 50.I have a few regulars that I use all the time, Joy of Cooking, Better Homes and Gardens, and my oldest that I got for my 12th birthday ( 40 plus yrs ago) Betty Crocker. :chef:

About 5.. not including my Mom's 'bible' with family recipes. I'm trying to re-write all my recipes, laminate them and put them in a big 4" binder. I'd rather that honker then a bunch of little books all over.

Oh boy.. I was born in 1963...I have clippings that were in my Grandmother's cookbooks from the 40's / 50s' /60's and my great-grandmothers hand written cookbook from I think the late 20's/early 30's.

Yes I have the cookbook addiction..so I don't count them at all. I also have the clipping passion too, but so does my Mom and so did my grandmothers and great-grandmother

Oh boy.. I was born in 1963...I have clippings that were in my Grandmother's cookbooks from the 40's / 50s' /60's and my great-grandmothers hand written cookbook from I think the late 20's/early 30's.

Yes I have the cookbook addiction..so I don't count them at all. I also have the clipping passion too, but so does my Mom and so did my grandmothers and great-grandmother
Oh--you got THAT gene. I did as well (and the packrat one). I am working on scanning all those clipped recipes...slowly but surely.

Young'un...

Oh--you got THAT gene. I did as well (and the packrat one). I am working on scanning all those clipped recipes...slowly but surely.

Yep I did for sure. :innocent: I thought about scanning them but I just love that tactile experience of feeling the paper, going through the folders, and knowing that they did the same thing.

I checked...My 'Joy of Cooking' is a reprint (1984) of the 1975 version, It is stained, held together with tape and marked with metric measurements here and there. I do have American cups and spoons, but some things don't translate well (things like butter are better weighed as we have no cup/spoon measurement on the packaging)

I have several cookbooks that I look at for inspiration but then do my own thing. The River Cafe books are good for that.

I have two versions of Joy of Cooking, '75 and '97. I bought the first at a used bookstore in Hawaii. But when the "new" one came out I had to have it, and it is my bible. Most cookbooks I keep upstairs in a huge wall of bookshelves, but in a small side table in the dining room I keep the 6-10 books I refer back to most often, plus a few appliance manuals that I occasionally need to use (for example, I recently purchased a 3-bowl cuisinart food processor that I sometimes have a question about). In the cookbook collection is a shelf of chef's biographies, memoirs, and books more about food culture than recipes.

One of my favorites of the collection is The Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices, by George Leonard Herter and Berthe E. Herter, of Herter's, Waseca, Minnesota (just reading off the cover), a cookbook copyrighted in 1960 and given to my parents in 1965 when they were stationed at Stead AFB outside of Reno. I love that there's still a bookmark in it that advertizes their next book, "George the Housewife and How to Diet and Never Be Hungry". Hmmm ... now that I think of it, I've never googled to find out what Herter's is/was. The book is funny as heck, and some recipes start with how to plant the vegetable, or how to skin the animal. I went up and got the book to write this and now am determined to re-read it. The author is VERY opinionated on everything!

The only cookbooks we have are Jamie Oliver ones...all other recipes we just get from the net :)

I have just succumbed to another two books. I am now the proud owner of Thomas Keller's "French Laundry Cookbook" and "Bouchon" - they were a boxed set from Amazon and are marvellous, but oh so heavy, more like coffee table books than ones you would use in the kitchen. Can't wait to try some recipes though.

Apologies if I haven't answered anyone's pm, I haven't sussed out how to yet!!!

Back
Top Bottom