How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I've mentioned this before but I, er, have over 300 cookery books. I can't walk past a book shop or the book shelves in a charity shop without browsing. No, I don't want anymore, I haven't got room for any more....Oh I'll just have a peek at that one....I'm not going to buy it.....No......No..... Oh, alright then.

Amazon is the one I blame. "Used" cookery books in perfect condition for one penny. Elizabeth David, Daniel Galmiche, Jamie Oliver, you name it I've fallen for it.

I think I've mentioned this before but I, er, have over 300 cookery books. I can't walk past a book shop or the book shelves in a charity shop without browsing. No, I don't want anymore, I haven't got room for any more....Oh I'll just have a peek at that one....I'm not going to buy it.....No......No..... Oh, alright then.

Amazon is the one I blame. "Used" cookery books in perfect condition for one penny. Elizabeth David, Daniel Galmiche, Jamie Oliver, you name it I've fallen for it.

I'm in the same boat, I have started putting together a shelf of keepers that will stay with me as I continue to downsize, the remainder must go at some point!

I enjoy Elizabeth David although I was disappointed in the book called Christmas, I think it was pieced together after her death.

I like odd little books that were written by people experiencing difficult times and those that paint a cozy picture of home life.

I don't spend much money on them, I buy most of them in the "after market".

I recently picked up one you may be familiar with called "John Fothergill's Cookery Book". It was an interesting little book.

Do you have any special cookbook titles you could share, I still have a little room left on the shelf! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Yes, :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I have one that is a general cookbook and one that is desserts only. If you look past the corny names they gave the recipes you find some great food!

LOL!! I have a Star Wars cookbook, a Pern Cook Book...the silly names do hide some really good recipes.

My sweet tart dough I got from the Pern book.

I'm in the same boat, I have started putting together a shelf of keepers that will stay with me as I continue to downsize, the remainder must go at some point!

I enjoy Elizabeth David although I was disappointed in the book called Christmas, I think it was pieced together after her death.

I like odd little books that were written by people experiencing difficult times and those that paint a cozy picture of home life.

I don't spend much money on them, I buy most of them in the "after market".

I recently picked up one you may be familiar with called "John Fothergill's Cookery Book". It was an interesting little book.

Do you have any special cookbook titles you could share, I still have a little room left on the shelf! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Anything by Jane Grigson. She died in 1990 but her books are still in print and Amazon has some "used" ones for 1 penny. It's a good job I've got them all!

Haven't heard of John Fothergill. I must look him up.

I have way too many to admit to. :angel:

TB has given strict orders to all family and friends that they are NOT to buy me any more cookbooks as gifts because he has no more room to build shelves for them.

That's totally fine because now I have Kindle on my tablet/notebook. :ROFLMAO:

My Newest, which is FROM TB and is actually a book (because HE was interested in it to) Michael Smith's "Back To Basics". Yes, the same Michael Smith of my quote. He was born in New York, but has called PEI his home for many years and is one of Canada's leading Chefs. It is taking simple basic foods and giving them a modern twist!

Last edited:
I have way too many to admit to. :angel:

TB has given strict orders to all family and friends that they are NOT to buy me any more cookbooks as gifts because he has no more room to build shelves for them.

That's totally fine because now I have Kindle on my tablet/notebook. :ROFLMAO:

My Newest, which is FROM TB and is actually a book (because HE was interested in it to) Michael Smith's "Back To Basics". Yes, the same Michael Smith of my quote. He was born in New York, but has called PEI his home for many years and is one of Canada's leading Chefs. It is taking simple basic foods and giving them a modern twist!
That's on my wishlist...I love his approach to cooking--much like my approach, except I don't have a chalkboard in my kitchen!

We have only a handful of cookbooks and never use any of them except my BBQ sauce handbook. I just use it for measurements when making my BBQ sauce.

My wife also inherited two southern church type paperback cookbooks that are great for southern style food. They are quite simple. Every recipe takes no ore than 1/4 page and has all basic ingredients. Not a culinary masterpiece by any stretch, but will get you by if you need help.
I have only used one of them when I needed a converter.

Otherwise, we really have no cookbooks that we actually use.

I have two. Good Housekeeping printed in the late 60's. And the original Joy of Cooking. The JOC has been put away for safe keeping. It was my first husband's that he received when he graduated from culinary school in England. I don't know what the value of it is, just that it needs to be cared for. Spike has put it in storage.

I also have some paper ones that my church used to put out each year for sale at their yearly Fair and Bean Supper. One is for Colonial recipes including direction of how close to cook it to the fire in the fireplace.

My Good Housekeeping one is falling apart from all the use. If a needed recipe isn't in it, then I go to the Internet or here at DC. :angel:

I am amazed at my ability all these years to make pretty much anything without the help of a cookbook.
I am no professional for sure, but in most cases all I need is to try the dish and then I can make the dish or a close relative to the dish....lol
I can honestly say I have butchered several dishes and came out with what I like to call "my version".
Usually it was something I had no idea how to make, but it turned out good and over time I improve on these trials.
I guess a cookbook may have saved me a lot of extra unnecessary work. But I sure did learn many things from my trial and error approach.

Another reason is my repertoire is not as varied as some would like. I make similar or exact dishes in rotation.
So the need for a cookbook is not needed. I have made the dish numerous times before, so I know how to make it.
Like fried tomato's that I made yesterday. I used my knowledge about breading and frying and they came out great. Never made them before. But so simple.
I would never need a cookbook to make them.
Now i might want your recipe for them, not because i cannot make them, but because your recipe might be better than mine and I learn something. Like with Katie today.

Like you Addie, if i have a question or am making new dish, I use the internet and lately I have come here for help.
But for me unless its something exotic, with ingredients I would not normally keep on hand, I can make it without a cookbook.
I have been doing so for over 45 years.

My cookbook collection is not for cooking, just for collecting. (dust, mainly, LOL) My shelves are full and now I am accumulating some on the spare bed. For now I am going to put the overflow in a box. When I get to it, I am going to go through them and see which ones I don't want anymore. They will be given away to friends or family or donated to the library. I didn't pay much for any of them. I bought most of them at flea markets and thrift stores.

When I'm cooking, I usually just use my tried and true recipes I've used over the years or I google. I also have a recipe file in Word on my computer. In there I have recipes people have posted and I have copied. I inherited this trait from my mother. When she passed away, she had a huge box of recipes she had clipped from newspapers and magazines.

I have two. Good Housekeeping printed in the late 60's. And the original Joy of Cooking. The JOC has been put away for safe keeping. It was my first husband's that he received when he graduated from culinary school in England. I don't know what the value of it is, just that it needs to be cared for. Spike has put it in storage.

I also have some paper ones that my church used to put out each year for sale at their yearly Fair and Bean Supper. One is for Colonial recipes including direction of how close to cook it to the fire in the fireplace.

My Good Housekeeping one is falling apart from all the use. If a needed recipe isn't in it, then I go to the Internet or here at DC. :angel:
Don't allow yourself to be seduced into replacing your GH with the latest edition. I thought I'd up-date (fortunately I didn't throw out the old one) but when it arrived I realised why it only cost one penny! It seems to have dispensed with a lot of the "how to" information and doesn't seem to have as many recipes in it either.

Last edited:
My cookbook collection is not for cooking, just for collecting. (dust, mainly, LOL) My shelves are full and now I am accumulating some on the spare bed. For now I am going to put the overflow in a box. When I get to it, I am going to go through them and see which ones I don't want anymore. They will be given away to friends or family or donated to the library. I didn't pay much for any of them. I bought most of them at flea markets and thrift stores.

When I'm cooking, I usually just use my tried and true recipes I've used over the years or I google. I also have a recipe file in Word on my computer. In there I have recipes people have posted and I have copied. I inherited this trait from my mother. When she passed away, she had a huge box of recipes she had clipped from newspapers and magazines.
I've used most of mine at least once but some I use for reference and one or two are just for reading.

Don't allow yourself to be seduced into replacing your GH with the latest edition. I thought I'd up-date (fortunately I didn't throw out the old one) but when it arrived I realised why it only cost one penny! It seems to have dispensed with a lot of the "how to" information and doesn't seem to have as many recipes in it either.

Wouldn't dream of it. Love my old beat up edition. Whole sections have come loose from the binding. But I just keep stuffing it back between the covers. :angel:

I get cookbooks to read. Every time I get them pared down, more seem to pop up, in my shopping bag.

Back
Top Bottom