"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I really like this vegetarian curry:

Indian Spiced Chickpeas with Rhubarb and Spinach Recipe « Chef Marcus Samuelsson

Other recipes you might want to try of his:

chickpea curry « Search Results « Chef Marcus Samuelsson

I use homemade curry powder or homemade curry paste. A friend blends the curry powder for me. I use Snip13's curry paste. She was/is a member of DC and lives in S. Africa. Her curry paste is to die for.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

This one is good. Lamb and Potato Curry

Old 02-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

pasta with curry and whipped cream and bacon

Hi guys!
I'm Francesca and live in Italy ...yesterday I cooked the pasta with curry ,whipped cream and bacon. It's delicious and fast for family....
enjoy ypur mealt!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvatore16 View Post
This one is good. Lamb and Potato Curry
Thanks - glad you liked it!

Although I no longer eat potatoes, this is still one of my favorite curry dishes.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:18 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

It's very important if you are making indian curry to also use some garam masala and then curry masala. Use very little garam masala and you can increase the curry masala as much as you like. typical curry masala's have over 11 spices...if you can't get all the curry seasonings use a pre-made one. suggest to get something organic.
Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I haven't read any of Madhur Jaffrey's books, but I've seen some of her recipes and I had the feeling that they were "Westernised" rather than authentic Indian.

I recommend a book called "Curry" by Mridula Baljekar. This seems to be somewhat closer to the 'real thing', although some of her other books seem 'tweaked' for the western market.

Relatively few recipes I have seen use Garam Masala and I have been told that it does not keep too well, so should only be bought in small amounts. Other spices seem to keep pretty well. I'm not familiar with the term 'Curry masala' - possibly this is equivalent to "Curry powder" in the UK.
Again, not many of my recipes use it.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Lightning View Post
I haven't read any of Madhur Jaffrey's books, but I've seen some of her recipes and I had the feeling that they were "Westernised" rather than authentic Indian.

I recommend a book called "Curry" by Mridula Baljekar. This seems to be somewhat closer to the 'real thing', although some of her other books seem 'tweaked' for the western market.

Relatively few recipes I have seen use Garam Masala and I have been told that it does not keep too well, so should only be bought in small amounts. Other spices seem to keep pretty well. I'm not familiar with the term 'Curry masala' - possibly this is equivalent to "Curry powder" in the UK.
Again, not many of my recipes use it.
Well, I actually own and have read one of Madhur Jaffrey's books and it's strikes me as pretty authentic. Regarding the "real thing" - throughout history, people around the world have tweaked traditional recipes with newly available ingredients and techniques. That's pretty authentic, too

Garam masala simply means spice mix. I'm sure there are as many recipes for that as there are recipes for Italian seasoning. I see no problem with starting with a commercial blend to make dinner simpler to prepare.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

one other thing to note about good curries, let them cook long and slow. rushing a good curry doesn't let the spice oils reach their full potential.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Senior Cook

This recipe is good and one can add lamb or chicken for personal preferences. I prefer a hotter curry, though.

Vegetarian Korma Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Tags
cook, curry, how to