How to cook a good Curry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polo53

Assistant Cook
Hey folks,

First post here so please excuse me if this is in the wrong section!

Me and the missus both enjoy a good curry and have tried to cook them at home with little success. Neither of us are cooks by trade but like to think we have some ability!

We both enjoy Korma's, Masala's, Bhuna's and various other curries!

Has anyone got any recommended cook book, recipes or tips on how to get a quality, thick and tasty curry?

Cheers

P

For lamb or curry recipes requiring chutney, I highly recommend this brand. It can be bought online and at some major chain stores. When I couldn't get Sharwoods, I tried many other brands of chutney, all awful. None of them came close to Sharwood's excellence.

chutney.jpg

Last edited:
I can join in endorsing Madhur Jaffrey. She's good for the beginner as she makes it fairly simple for the home cook - no arcane equipment required and ingredients available in any Morrison's/Sainsbury's (name your own supermarket) and good greengrocers. A lot of the recipes come from her childhood.

Pat Chapman has been at the curry "game" for donkeys' years. He has run the Curry Club since the 1980s.
Here's the CC website - Home - Pat Chapman's Curry Club

Cyrus Todiwala gets some good reviews (from "real" Indian contributors to Amazon.) but I haven't tried any of his books, however, some of the reviewers say he's not for the beginner - whatever that's supposed to mean.

(If you want to cheat or need curry-in-a-hurry Patak's sauces aren't bad. Not the real home-made stuff but passable - I have an Indian friend who keeps them in for emergencies)

Last edited:
Strictly Indian or are you interested in Thai?

Last edited by a moderator:
pasta with curry and whipped cream and bacon

:chef:Hi guys!
I'm Francesca and live in Italy ...yesterday I cooked the pasta with curry ,whipped cream and bacon. It's delicious and fast for family....
enjoy ypur mealt!

It's very important if you are making indian curry to also use some garam masala and then curry masala. Use very little garam masala and you can increase the curry masala as much as you like. typical curry masala's have over 11 spices...if you can't get all the curry seasonings use a pre-made one. suggest to get something organic.

I haven't read any of Madhur Jaffrey's books, but I've seen some of her recipes and I had the feeling that they were "Westernised" rather than authentic Indian.

I recommend a book called "Curry" by Mridula Baljekar. This seems to be somewhat closer to the 'real thing', although some of her other books seem 'tweaked' for the western market.

Relatively few recipes I have seen use Garam Masala and I have been told that it does not keep too well, so should only be bought in small amounts. Other spices seem to keep pretty well. I'm not familiar with the term 'Curry masala' - possibly this is equivalent to "Curry powder" in the UK.
Again, not many of my recipes use it.

I haven't read any of Madhur Jaffrey's books, but I've seen some of her recipes and I had the feeling that they were "Westernised" rather than authentic Indian.

I recommend a book called "Curry" by Mridula Baljekar. This seems to be somewhat closer to the 'real thing', although some of her other books seem 'tweaked' for the western market.

Relatively few recipes I have seen use Garam Masala and I have been told that it does not keep too well, so should only be bought in small amounts. Other spices seem to keep pretty well. I'm not familiar with the term 'Curry masala' - possibly this is equivalent to "Curry powder" in the UK.
Again, not many of my recipes use it.

Well, I actually own and have read one of Madhur Jaffrey's books and it's strikes me as pretty authentic. Regarding the "real thing" - throughout history, people around the world have tweaked traditional recipes with newly available ingredients and techniques. That's pretty authentic, too :)

Garam masala simply means spice mix. I'm sure there are as many recipes for that as there are recipes for Italian seasoning. I see no problem with starting with a commercial blend to make dinner simpler to prepare.

Last edited:
one other thing to note about good curries, let them cook long and slow. rushing a good curry doesn't let the spice oils reach their full potential.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom