Hullings Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Long time ago, here in St Louis, we blessed to have a restaurant called Miss Hullings. Everytime we got to go there (once year) was a special treat. The food, no matter what you had, was so good. Well, now it is out of business and they had sold cookbook but I did not get one. I figured would always be here. I am wanting to know if anyone has her cookbook? If you do, count your blessings. I would like to know if someone could suggest something other than main sources amazon, borders, etc. to find one of her books. Our newspaper said her cookbooks are on eBay for $49.95! I just feel so bad that I did not take opportunity to get them when I easily could. I don't think they are really that big just valuable. Thanks

Miss Hulling's Favorite Recipes appears to have been published by her, so it would have been a very limited printing. I'm sure that newspaper article caused a stampede on the only 2 copies on the internet. This will really make you sick - there was a copy on eBay - it's price was $5.99, the copy on Amazon was $49.95. Both are gone.

Since you are in St Louis you might try visiting the local used book stores. You will probably have a better chance of finding a copy there than anywhere else.

Thanks

Michael, thank you for response. I will try to see if I could find one at a used bookstore. eBay is wonderful when trying to locate something. The site is full of things I would want but can't seem to get at price I want. Happy for you that you get chance to scour the site and also for you to remember about the cookbook. If you ever get chance to buy one I know you would not be disappointed. Seems everyone in St Louis had gone there. I imagine every state has their favorite cooks or is the term chefs? Thanks again for your help.

You might try looking at local library book sales. Often they get donations form the public which they immediately sell off. If a number of people bought this book, there is a good chance that one will turn up there, especially if donated by an estate.
~mouse

Have purchased many items on eBay, have a number of family members who collect old things and we are on there often. Makes for a great source of presents, and we can let our fingers do the walkiing. So we sort of buy a bit all during the year.

No we are not that organized, just hate shopping in stores.

Have learned if there is something on eBay once, another one will probably show itself again.

Can only suggest you do what we do, and that is every few weeks or so log on and search for it.

Bide your time and hopefully you will find a copy.

Good luck.

DH has missed out on several things first time around on ebay only to find another at sometimes a better price later. Hope you have the same good luck.

In The Kitchen-executive Chef

I Have A "miss Hulling's Favortie Recipes" Book. If You Are Interested In Purchasing It Let Me Know. Thank You, Brassgemini

I loved Miss. Hullings! We always used to go there for lunch when we went to St. Louis shopping. I didn't know there was a cookbook. I wonder if there are recipes for those wonderful pastries they sold in the bake shop?

I surely am interested. If you will give me more details (via PM) I would like to receive this cookbook. Thanks for offering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know that the Miss Hullings cakes are available at Straubs stores in St. Louis. they are pretty pricey, but always were for their time. I have tried the chocolate and the lemon, and I guess they taste pretty much the same, but don't seem tobe quite as good. That might just be me though. they come boxed exactly the same way in the flimsy white boxes and iced kind of hap hazardly as they always did. God we used to love them.

Did you know that the Miss Hullings cakes are available at Straubs stores in St. Louis. they are pretty pricey, but always were for their time. I have tried the chocolate and the lemon, and I guess they taste pretty much the same, but don't seem tobe quite as good. That might just be me though. they come boxed exactly the same way in the flimsy white boxes and iced kind of hap hazardly as they always did. God we used to love them.

Hi Polly Welcome to DC.

Josie

Back
Top Bottom