I bought a cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
and bought a cooking book: "I'm just here for the food kitchen user's manual" by Alton Brown. Not really a cook book, but for my misc. notes and recipes. :)

I reached a personal goal so let myself splurge by going to the book store and buying a book...regular price...yikes! I never do that. :) I'm just so happy to have reached my goal and get this handy little book. :D :D

I got that for Christmas and it is what I wanted. I read it cover to cover and thoroughly enjoyed it. I now want "I'm Just Here for More Food" by Alton Brown. Its his book on baking that takes the same approach as this book.

Hubby and I regularly buy each other cookbooks as gifts. He for me often, less often me for him because he doesn't cook as much as he used to. My family ruined cooking for him and I've never gotten him back into it. Since I like to cook, it isn't much of a big deal, just to me a sad loss for him. I got three for Christmas this year, and rather doubt I've ever gone a Christmas without a cookbook. The more exotic and weird the better, but the classics are always great. Cookbooks as souveniers when travelling are wonderful as well. I own one in French (to get my leetle gray cells working) and am mad at myself for not having one in Slovene (the most expensive item in that country at the time we visited was books, and I desperately needed a couple of English-language novels which busted the budget!)

Anyone looking for cookbooks should really check on eBay. I recently purchased two at fantastic prices. I first looked up the prices of ones I was interested in getting on the Barnes & Noble site so I would know the cost for both new and used books, and then based my bidding on those rices. Right now, I'm watching for a Fannie Farmer cookbook, as the one I have in paperback is worn to pieces and the pages brittle. I feel a Fannie Farmer cookbook is practically a "must" - very informative with tons of topics and recipes.

One cooking group I know started a cookbook exchange between members.

Yeh, that Alton Brown binder is a great tool in the Kitchen. (but i'm a teacher and such organization is genetic I think! You should see my sister's recipe file box...frightening!)

Cookbook Exchanges

Raine said:
One cooking group I know started a cookbook exchange between members.

:chef: I belonged to a group that exchanged cookbooks and monthly snailmail recipe swaps, there were also kitchen gift exchanges. It was lots of fun!!

If anyone gets a chance to join such a group, it is unlike any email recipe swap group out there!

htc said:
and bought a cooking book: "I'm just here for the food kitchen user's manual" by Alton Brown. Not really a cook book, but for my misc. notes and recipes. :)

I reached a personal goal so let myself splurge by going to the book store and buying a book...regular price...yikes! I never do that. :) I'm just so happy to have reached my goal and get this handy little book. :D :D

Alton Brown actually provides the hard science/chemsitry behind the cooking process.

His "Good Eats" on the Food Network is the one cooking program I tape, then transcribe into a notebook and file away.

Has there been a post on organizing recipes printed from this site and others? I have a cajillion that I need to do something with. I'm thinking about putting them in a binder with partition pages marking the type of recipe. I know some people keep their recipes on the computer, but I suppose I'm old fashioned - I like to have mine printed out and on the counter. Also I enjoy looking at them and remembering where I got them.

licia - a binder will fill up faster than you think. I have a two-drawer filing cabinet that I have sectioned off a tad more intricately than a cookbook.

Appetizers (sub categories Salsa, Dips, Spreads, Wings, whatever you have a lot of put in a sub folder)

Soups/Stews

Chili

Salad Dressing
Salad

for main dishes I have everything separated into Beef, Seafood, Pork, etc., along with Ethnic, Rice, and Pasta

Then I have Crockpot recipes divided into Beef, Pork, Seafood, etc. along with side dishes, desserts, vegetables

Same with my Pressure Cooker folder

Casserole Folder with all the sub folders - poultry, beef, vegetable, etc.

Breads - a sweet folder a yeast folder and a savory bread folder and a cornbread folder

Savory Pie
Sweet Pie

Desserts - Pies, Cakes, Cookies, Bars, etc. (each with a folder)

Beverages

Sauces, Marinades, and Rubs

Non-Edible recipes

Condiments

There's more but I would have to look - sometimes I will file something in two places. Before you know it you'll have a huge collection. I too like a hard copy of everything.

In answer to the computer thing .... I, too, don't keep recipes on the computer, but I do keep an index to them on the computer. The index has the name of the recipes I cook often and where they are (for example, it might say a Gourmet magazine, year, month, page; or the name of the cookbook and what page. If it is a recipe given to me by a friend, the entire recipe will be there). Like many others, I don't use recipes measure-per-measure, I use them as suggestions (don't bake much). Having this index for the recipes I use once or twice a year helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom