I bought a new cookbook!!! + a question for you all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
I hardly ever buy "new" cookbooks, I pick them up second hand at charity shops and markets. But I treated myself to "Feast" by Nigella Lawson. It's quite an amazing book. It's divided into odd chapters, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, Rosh Hashanah, Eid (the muslim festival after Ramadan) recipes for children, birthdays, chocolate cakes - no real rhyme or reason, but it works.

Fittingly, the last chapter is on Funerals. She mentions a tradition in Thailand where mourners are presented with a little book of favourite recipes of the dearly departed. It sounds like a lovely idea.

So here comes the question...... what would 5 recipes would you leave for your loved ones as your legacy? (I'm gonna have to think on this one!)

kyles said:
I hardly ever buy "new" cookbooks, I pick them up second hand at charity shops and markets. But I treated myself to "Feast" by Nigella Lawson. It's quite an amazing book. It's divided into odd chapters, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, Rosh Hashanah, Eid (the muslim festival after Ramadan) recipes for children, birthdays, chocolate cakes - no real rhyme or reason, but it works.

Fittingly, the last chapter is on Funerals. She mentions a tradition in Thailand where mourners are presented with a little book of favourite recipes of the dearly departed. It sounds like a lovely idea.

So here comes the question...... what would 5 recipes would you leave for your loved ones as your legacy? (I'm gonna have to think on this one!)
Kyles,
I'm in the process of writing down recipes for my two daughters...
five recipes Hemmmmm let's see
1-my recipe for homemade ravioli
2-ravioli sauce with imported dry mushrooms
3-Noni's stuffed onion or zucchini filling
4-rice torta
5-veal marsala
Nice topic , thank you :)
kadesma

Actually, I am compiling a cookbook of family favorites and new good recipes as we speak.

I will put them on disks and give them out to my nieces when they are old enough to have their own homes.

only five?
I think I'd give 5 from each category!
If I'm thinking sweets...
1. My Grandma's Monster Cookies (secret recipe!)
2. Chocolate Euphoria Cookies (appropriately named)
3. Mom's Strawberry Layer Pie
4. Soft Persimmon Cookies
5. The Family's Special Pound Cake
1263.gif

Let me know if anyone wants any of these :)

jkath said:
only five?
I think I'd give 5 from each category!
If I'm thinking sweets...
1. My Grandma's Monster Cookies (secret recipe!)
2. Chocolate Euphoria Cookies (appropriately named)
3. Mom's Strawberry Layer Pie
4. Soft Persimmon Cookies
5. The Family's Special Pound Cake
1263.gif

Let me know if anyone wants any of these :)
jKath, I'd love numbers 2 and 5 PLEASE :LOL:
thanks,
kadesma

Here you go:
If anyone tries these, please let me know what you think!

The Family Pound Cake

1/2 lb. butter
1/2 c. Crisco
3 c. sugar
1 tsp. each: vanila, almond & lemon extracts
6 eggs
1 c. milk
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt

Sift together flour, bkg powder & salt. Set aside.
Preheat to 325f.
Cream butter & crisco. Add sugar & cream it till it's light & fluffy. Add extracts & blend. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, a little at a time, beating continuously.
Bake 1-1/2 hours in a greased tube pan.

Glaze:
Lemon juice, grated lemon rind & powdered sugar (amounts as needed). Use hand mixer till smooth.
Drizzle over top.

Chocolate Euphoria Cookies

12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
3 Tbsp butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. bkg powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. milk
1-1/4 c. walnuts

Preheat oven to 350f.
Melt half the chocolate chips in double boiler until smooth (or use microwave). In separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg & vanilla until smooth. Sift together dry ingredients. Stir melted chocolate & milk into butter mixture. Mix in dry in gredients, then remaining chocolate chips & walnuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet & bake 8 minutes. Yield: 3 dozen
(recipe is easily doubled)

jkath said:
Here you go:

The Family Pound Cake

1/2 lb. butter
1/2 c. Crisco
3 c. sugar
6 eggs
1 c. milk
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt

Preheat to 325f.
Cream butter & crisco. Add sugar & cream it till it's light & fluffy. Add extracts & blend. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, a little at a time, beating continuously.

Glaze:
Lemon juice, grated lemon rind & powdered sugar (amounts as needed). Use hand mixer till smooth.
Drizzle over top.

3 Tbsp butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. bkg powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. milk
1-1/4 c. walnuts

Preheat oven to 350f.
Melt half the chocolate chips in double boiler until smooth (or use microwave). In separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg & vanilla until smooth. Sift together dry ingredients. Stir melted chocolate & milk into butter mixture. Mix in dry in gredients, then remaining chocolate chips & walnuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet & bake 8 minutes. Yield: 3 dozen
jKath,
thank you. I'm on my way to make the cookies right now...Both recipes look yummy and I know my grandson will dive into the cookies first thing tomorrow...Thanks again
kadesma :)

Make sure he has the biggest glass of milk you can find. The cookies are super rich!
Also, they aren't super-cakey like. They're more flattened.
(ps - great with coffee!)

jkath said:
Make sure he has the biggest glass of milk you can find. The cookies are super rich!
Also, they aren't super-cakey like. They're more flattened.
(ps - great with coffee!)
jKath,
will do :)
Love the pic of the pooch..do you have one like this? I have a black and tan doxie so was just wondering :LOL:
thanks again,
kadesma, off to check the oven

my garndfather's fudge
my mom's stuffing
my grandmother's ham and glaze
my mother's chili
my mother's lasagne
and my chicken and rice

okay i know you said 5 but i offered 6

kyles, what a great question. i see the pub has given you inspiration, lol.
i guess mine would be:

1. sunday gravy
2. pot roast with celery, carrots, onions, and mashed taters.
3. dirty pork chops with savory rice
4. chicken parm with a fresh garlic basil sauce for the pasta
5. boiled irish ham, cabbage, and potatoes

um, i would really need to add about 20 more, but these are the first 5 i could think of.

stew
[pot pie (make the stew, then the pie..)
redbeans and rice...when the sausage is gonel, use the beans for chille..

My five would be

My mum's vegetarian lasagne
Penni and Zoes good news salad (named after my sister and her best friend)
Chocolate zucchini cake
Scotch eggs
Afghan biscuits

what 5 recipes would you leave for your loved ones as your legacy?

What a nice idea but I'm afraid it wouldn't work with me - I'm mostly a "little bit of this, little bit of that" kind of cook.

What I'd really love to pass on are all those hard won kitchen tips, tricks and techniques I've mastered(?) over the years.

Hmm, with digital photography and video maybe this is do-able. I can see it now...

"Look kids! There's your dearly departed grandma showing us how to make <your noun here> and babbling on about about the uses of obscure seasonings and the relative merits of obsolete cookware! What a hoot! At least now we can shut her up when we want to. Now swallow your dinner pills and then we can all go to the virtual reality room for some family fun."

Oh well...

jkath said:
Here you go:

The Family Pound Cake

1/2 lb. butter
1/2 c. Crisco
3 c. sugar
6 eggs
1 c. milk
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt

Preheat to 325f.

Glaze:
Drizzle over top.

3 Tbsp butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. bkg powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. milk
1-1/4 c. walnuts

Preheat oven to 350f.

jkath,
made the cookies last night. Good thing I doubled the recipe...DH just
about downed them all :)
Thanks again, the pound cake sometime this week
kadesma

kadesma - so glad your DH loved them too - unfortunately, my DH doesn't like sweets! (more for the kids & me, tho'!)

As for the doxie, I had one like the one in my avatar. Mom & Dad bought "Schatzie" when I was 6 months old and she lived till I was 12.
Now I have a wonderfully intelligent mutt who is my only "daughter", as I have sons :)

Okay, I have some requests...

kadesma: #1 & #4

BuckyTom: #4

Sierra: #2 & #3

Kyles: #2 & #5 (ps - thx again for the scotch eggs recipe!)

142.gif
Thanks all~

jkath said:
Okay, I have some requests...

kadesma: #1 & #4

BuckyTom: #4

Sierra: #2 & #3

Kyles: #2 & #5 (ps - thx again for the scotch eggs recipe!)

142.gif
Thanks all~
Jkath..Here is the filling for the ravioli..the dough or pasta I buy rolled out from an Italian deli who will make it for me. buy about 10 feet of pasta
2-cups frozen, thawed and squeezed dry spinich
1/2- cup olive oil
2/3 cup bread or cracker crumbs, (fine)
Now hold on to your hat :LOL:
1-set of beef brains, I know but it's yummy, you parboil and skin then mash with a fork and add in to the mix If this gets to you, you can add 1/4 cup veal, 1/4/cup beef and 1/4 cup of pork..These must be cooked and pureed
1-tabl. marjoram
1-tabl. thyme
1/4-tea. rosemary
3-4 cloves crushed garlic
1-cup grated parmesan
1-doz eggs
salt and pepper
Mix well,refrigerate over night. The next day spread onto the pasta sheet, thinly then fold the pasta over and run the ravioli rolling pin over it and cut with the ravioli cutter.. These are quite a job but go fast if someone helps and well worth the time it takes. I make the sauce as well and it's a job as well, but it wouldn't be Christmas, Easter or Thanksgiving without the ravs :LOL:
If you have any questions after you recover from the ingredient list..I'll be glad to help.
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom