"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I subscribe to only one cooking magazine; Cooking Light. I have tried a myriad of recipes from it, as well as used it as inspiration for recipes of my own, and they've always turned out well, so I keep renewing every year. They also allow me to give a gift subscription to someone every time I renew mine. I have given a gift subscription to no fewer than 6 women, and all of them have renewed their subscriptions when the gift subscription ran out except for one, and that was due to monetary issues, not because of a dislike for the magazine.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I love my mags... I always buy at leasy 1-2 a week from the grocery store at the check out aisle :) and I also get several in the mail...I also surf the net to...

kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Sous Chef
I will admit to subscribing to a "Taste of Home". But the reason I do so is to read the foodie personal stories, and see the pictures. I never know when I will get inspired to try something new without a visual. Casper
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #14
Head Chef
Have narrowed it down to Cook's Illustrated, Fine Cooking and Saveur.

But do not save any of them.

Just read and enjoy them and out they go. No room.

At one time or another have subscribed to almost every cooking mag on the face of the planetl.

The next one to go will probably be Saveur, I like to read it but almost never find anything I want to cook in it.

As for Gourmet, can get it for a buck a month (they are always sending come ons) but just find it useless.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef
Auntdot - I just read your wisdom words, I am glad I had a paper towel in front of me because it saved my keyboard from the Soda ;-) I read some other wisdom today that gave me "food for thought": "When the only tool you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." That also made me laugh today ;-) To get back to the thread, I also rarely save any of the magazines I get from " Taste from Home", but I do enjoy it from a read prospective. As to cook books themselves, I have given away all to my sons (22 and 24) knowing that their girl friends that they live with can not for the most part cook. I did however retain a couple that we bought from the said magazie above that I look at from "time to time" so I can get an idea or two for something new ;-) Thanks for the laugh. Casper
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
I stopped buying/subscribing to the "ad rags' years ago. I figure I have saved enough to buy a small herd of beef, several hogs, and a whole lot of Bourbon
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
Sous Chef
I don't buy Cooking Magazines. I subscribe to Country Living, Country Home,
they have recipes plus.

I did download a cookbook today. In 2001 Sherri started cemo 2001. She loved to cook and had a collection of recipes. Her husband following her death decided to offer her recipes as a tribute to Sherri. "Sherri's Cookbook"
She organized it so well with 3,062 recipes into a zip folder 3.7 MB.

It is a treasure.

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote