I don't think i will subscribe to any more cooking mags....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
There is just way to many recipes/information on the internet these days for someone to have to go to mags for their recipes. Heck i have so many recipe sites bookmarked and don't ever get a chance to make most of the recipes because with my mags,books, & internet i have recipe overload :). I still will buy books though. Books are a lot of times just not about recipes. If the author of the cookbook is a good writer then they emerse you in the food and the culture surounding it. They are good reads even if you never make one single recipe from the book. (rick bayless is always my prime example). If i need equipment reviews i can just come here instead of cooks illustrated :). If a lot of you are like me you have so many magazines that you tell yourself that your going to fix recipes out of and they end up making a mess of the house because you have so many.

so many of these mags are full of ads, it's hard to find the articles or recipes. I do like then ad free 1 every 2 months type.

I still like my magazines - ads or not - I have a thing for pictures of food and the occasional story behind them.

I finally let go of Gourmet after several decades. I just wan't using it any more, it seemed to get more and more geared to the wealthy. I asked around and a freind collects them, so they have gone to a good home, and he promises to cook for us using them! I still subscribe to Saveur, but do not keep them (I give them to said friend!). Deciding NOT to keep magazines has cleaned up a lot of storage place and clutter.

I subscribe to one magazine that I thoroughly enjoy and will keep renewing it.

I was given 3 mag subscriptions to a Network Star's magazine and after 3 yrs when my subscription runs out there is no way, I'll renew.

I love the recipes in Gourmet, Cooking Light and Bon Appetit but I care nothing about the travel or health sections and I find all the ads very annoying. I haven't subscribed to them in years.

I agree with you about most cooking magazines, but I recently subscribed to one called Cooks Country, a new publication from Cook's Illustrated, that my husband and I both really like. It is ALL cooking information, with no ads.

It is true that there are abundance of cooking websites, as well as that we amassed so many recipes on our puter file. However I do love my monthly dose of "La Cucina Italiana", pics are gorgeous, and like good books, they not only cover various recipes but also tell us about rich culinary cultures and history which make them interesting reads any time. I also like something to take to somewhere more comfy than our computer desk and flip through.

The only reason we don't subscribe is that in this condominium, any oversized delivery (except for packets and registered posts) are just left laying around in the downstair hall for anyone to grab, we fear we would never get our hands on our magazines unless we stand and wait in the hall every morning and snatch it up directly from the postman...:dry:

Urmaniac suggested Lacucina Italiana to me when I first came to Italy, and I have loved it ever since. The pictures really are inspirational and, for someone like me, committed to seasonal eating, it helps bring new ideas to the seasonal ingrediants. In fact, what I may well do is subscribe to a different magazine each year from different countries when I am back in UK. For example, I used to get a US magazine that was so different to anything we got in UK it was great, if I was in US and had no foreign languages I would consider subscribing to a British or Australaisian mag, to get a fresher repetoire. I am sticking with Cucina Italiana for at least a year, then I think I'll swap either to a french mag, or maybe a Spanish language one.

I am also on the net most of the time now to find a recipe or I come here to DC. The only two food magazines I am going to keep are "Cooks Country and Taste Of Home".

I subscribe to only one cooking magazine; Cooking Light. I have tried a myriad of recipes from it, as well as used it as inspiration for recipes of my own, and they've always turned out well, so I keep renewing every year. They also allow me to give a gift subscription to someone every time I renew mine. I have given a gift subscription to no fewer than 6 women, and all of them have renewed their subscriptions when the gift subscription ran out except for one, and that was due to monetary issues, not because of a dislike for the magazine.

I love my mags... I always buy at leasy 1-2 a week from the grocery store at the check out aisle :) and I also get several in the mail...I also surf the net to...

I will admit to subscribing to a "Taste of Home". But the reason I do so is to read the foodie personal stories, and see the pictures. I never know when I will get inspired to try something new without a visual. Casper

Have narrowed it down to Cook's Illustrated, Fine Cooking and Saveur.

But do not save any of them.

Just read and enjoy them and out they go. No room.

At one time or another have subscribed to almost every cooking mag on the face of the planetl.

The next one to go will probably be Saveur, I like to read it but almost never find anything I want to cook in it.

As for Gourmet, can get it for a buck a month (they are always sending come ons) but just find it useless.

Auntdot - I just read your wisdom words, I am glad I had a paper towel in front of me because it saved my keyboard from the Soda ;-) I read some other wisdom today that gave me "food for thought": "When the only tool you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." That also made me laugh today ;-) To get back to the thread, I also rarely save any of the magazines I get from " Taste from Home", but I do enjoy it from a read prospective. As to cook books themselves, I have given away all to my sons (22 and 24) knowing that their girl friends that they live with can not for the most part cook. I did however retain a couple that we bought from the said magazie above that I look at from "time to time" so I can get an idea or two for something new ;-) Thanks for the laugh. Casper

I stopped buying/subscribing to the "ad rags' years ago. I figure I have saved enough to buy a small herd of beef, several hogs, and a whole lot of Bourbon:LOL:

I don't buy Cooking Magazines. I subscribe to Country Living, Country Home,
they have recipes plus.

I did download a cookbook today. In 2001 Sherri started cemo 2001. She loved to cook and had a collection of recipes. Her husband following her death decided to offer her recipes as a tribute to Sherri. "Sherri's Cookbook"
She organized it so well with 3,062 recipes into a zip folder 3.7 MB.

It is a treasure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom