I finally got around to laminating my recipe cards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I copied over my modest collection of recipes on to new 3x5 index cards, then went to Office Depot and had them laminate them for a couple of dollars. No more grease stained, food stained, ingredient stained recipe cards for me, by golly! ;)

Last edited:
Congrats. I could never do that. I have 8 boxes in Ontario and we have another 7 boxes here. I did weed out the duplicates, but we still have way too many recipe boxes.

Many years ago I did somthin simuler. I used regular notebook paper and put them in those plastic paper holders with three holes on the side so they'll go into a notebook. Used a push pin to put them on the cupboard door above the
work area.
Started several kitchens from scratch since then and don't know what happened to them. Doesn't matter though because I just don't follow recipes anymore.

Bumping this. My deceased brother had a bunch of those dollar store photo albums. I am not one to keep photos he took in SA or of people I don't know or places I didn't go. Instead, I have been using those photo albums for recipe cards, recipes snipped from magazines, etc. Handy and inexpensive. My winter project will be to review all of those and sort by category, i.e., dessert, fish, etc. Can't take the time right now. But, I will be putting my Dad's stack of favourite recipes in one or two of these...

All my tried and true recipes, in addition to being online and on my MacBook, are printed on paper in a three-ring binder with dividers by category.

I never invested in plastic covers. They take too much space, cost too much and prevent me from making notes to recipes as I cook. If a recipe gets too stained, I just print another copy. Cheaper and easier.

On the other hand, the three-ring binder takes more room than a box of 3x5 cards.

Kind of on topic,
I was watching the today show the other day and Carson ( doesn't matter if you know who he is or not, his wife is a chef, but who cares). Anyway, he has family cocktail recipe that he got from his mom that has been passed down , so what they did is they had a Kitchen dish towel made up with the recipe on it which was written out in his mothers handwriting. It was just a simple white towel with black handwritten writing. Since it was a cocktail, there were only 4 or 5 ingredients . I thought this was a nice idea ( especially since its in her handwriting).

Kind of on topic,
I was watching the today show the other day and Carson ( doesn't matter if you know who he is or not, his wife is a chef, but who cares). Anyway, he has family cocktail recipe that he got from his mom that has been passed down , so what they did is they had a Kitchen dish towel made up with the recipe on it which was written out in his mothers handwriting. It was just a simple white towel with black handwritten writing. Since it was a cocktail, there were only 4 or 5 ingredients . I thought this was a nice idea ( especially since its in her handwriting).

Cool idea for a gift!

I keep my printed out recipes in 3 ring binders. I use the plastic cover sheets when I take them out of the binders.

I have binders for each category, some are doubled up and some have duplicates and/or are listed on my computer recipes to look in another binder, as in perhaps leeks are printed in Vegie binder but also listed on the computer under Chicken and or Pot Pies.

I have about 30 binders, some thick, some thin. :angel:

I have two looseleaf notebooks, in which I keep my handwritten recipes, that I have accumulated through the years. One has all of my Asian recipes, and that is my "Black Book", while the one with everything else, is my "Blue Book". When I first started, back in the 70s, I would write these with a fountain pen, with India ink, since regular ink smeared so easily, but they have improved it greatly. And eventually, when I started adding all those Thai dishes to the Chinese in the black book, I used blue ink for those, and other SE Asian recipes. And more recently, I started using green ink, for Indian, and similar cuisines.

I have some software that I have put a lot of these recipes in, but it's not as convenient, as using these.

I have some software that I have put a lot of these recipes in, but it's not as convenient, as using these.

I was asked why I kept both. It's a simple reason, although I have a laptop I don't like to take it in the kitchen to look at the recipe. Dates, changes made, etc. are easy to put on right away, as I'll forget before I get back to the computer.
My second reason is I often take my laptop with me when I go to visit family. All my recipes are with me. ;)

Oh, and another... I also sometimes put the printed recipes side by side to compare, that is possible on the computer but not worth the effort nor the compromises made to make it all fit.

Last edited:
Over the years I have used a number of different methods to have recipes at hand.. All tried and liked recipes are in files on my computer.. Occasionally I will go through them and weeds some out..

For everyday use, I keep 2 folders of printed recipes in a box on top of the fridge.. One for savory and one for sweets.. These contain frequently used recipes.. Occasionally I discard a recipe which we have grown tired of, knowing that they are in the computer for when the urge to revive it comes..

Works well for me..

Ross

I was asked why I kept both. It's a simple reason, although I have a laptop I don't like to take it in the kitchen to look at the recipe. Dates, changes made, etc. are easy to put on right away, as I'll forget before I get back to the computer.
My second reason is I often take my laptop with me when I go to visit family. All my recipes are with me. ;)

Oh, and another... I also sometimes put the printed recipes side by side to compare, that is possible on the computer but not worth the effort nor the compromises made to make it all fit.

The side by side recipes reminds me of when I used to make mass quantities of cookies, at Christmas time. I'd take out 5 or 6 recipes from the bluebook, and line them up on the opposite side of the wide counter that I worked on, and put a bowl beneath each recipe. Then, I would measure out each ingredient into the bowls - much faster to measure them into all of the bowls, then put the container away, and go onto the next, instead of repeating this, every time you make the next recipe. Not really doable, with a computer, unless you have 6 of them.;)

Over the years I have used a number of different methods to have recipes at hand.. All tried and liked recipes are in files on my computer.. Occasionally I will go through them and weeds some out..

For everyday use, I keep 2 folders of printed recipes in a box on top of the fridge.. One for savory and one for sweets.. These contain frequently used recipes.. Occasionally I discard a recipe which we have grown tired of, knowing that they are in the computer for when the urge to revive it comes..

Works well for me..

Ross

I like this idea. I have almost all of my recipes on my computer and many in three ring binders. I take the one I'm going to use out of the binder and stick it on the fridge with a magnet. It's not well organized - too many pieces of paper and the punched holes keep breaking. Yes, I know, I could put hole reinforcements on them, but that doesn't usually seem to happen.

I copied over my modest collection of recipes on to new 3x5 index cards, then went to Office Depot and had them laminate them for a couple of dollars. No more grease stained, food stained, ingredient stained recipe cards for me, by golly! ;)

haha, that's awesome! I've often thought about laminating my recipes too and then putting them in a scrapbook from Michael's. It would look like my own recipe book.

I bought recipe cards w/protective sleeves originally to write up some recipes for a friend, then made a cover for the 'book', and linked them together. Then I started using the cards for my recipes I use often, and I love them.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082LNG5T3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71z-+EXHRBL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom