"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless
I guess I'm a heretic. I only have the latst one, which was what, the 96 edition? I like it a lot, but I have no expereince with earlier ones.

thymeless
I'm even more of a heretic, Thymeless. I don't have any! Years ago someone gave me the 60's version, but I never used it, so after years of using it as a doorstop, I gave it away. Have never felt the need to get another one. When I was a kid, I used to cook out of my mother's version, but I liked the Antoinette Pope Cooking School book better... and gave mom's old one away a few years ago, too.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It's interesting that, sometimes, the older editions of some cookbooks are the better ones. For example, the original Betty Crocker Cookbook. I have several editions but, by far, the 1950 edition is the best IMO. The newer ones pander to the harried housewife (did I use housewife?) by incorporating mixes in the recipes.

About 25 years ago, I spoke with someone at General Mills and was horrified at something I was told. She said that when people called to inquire about a recipe from the cookbook, they would simply cut out the recipe from one of the cookbooks and send it to the person. Consequently, many of their editions of that book were cut up and useless.

I have one pristine copy of the 1950 book I bought at a yard sale for about $1. I have two other copies, in considerably worse shape, that I paid about the same for, but wouldn't trade them for anything. I love reading the personal notations on the pages that were made by their previous owners. Someday my daughter will be the recipient of all my recipes and cookbooks.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

shopping day

How do you get a personal shopping day at borders? I would love a 50% discount!!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

3babies - go to any Borders store & ask. They'll give you a card (like a credit card) & approx. twice a month will e-mail you special coupons for great deals on books, CD's, DVD's, etc. If you spend a certain amount during the month, you get a "personal shopping day", which entitles you to an additional 10% off any purchases you make on that day. In addition, every time you make any purchase at Border's, 5% of your purchase goes into your "account", & between Nov. & Jan. you can use that money at Borders. I've got about $30 in mine now, which means I'll be able to buy something for myself or for a gift basically for free!!! I LOVE Borders Rewards!! Yes, Borders is making $$$ off me as well, but boy, I've gotten a LOT of great books, CD's, & DVD's at outrageously low prices since I joined.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

good luck and have fun with it licia. looking forward to hearing of the recipes you make from it.

we use a 70's version of a betty crocker cookbook as a general reference, but it's getting torn up. in fact, it's in 3 chunks right now, with no cover.

i need to get another good basic reference. would anyone have an opinion on which is better? "joy" or "crocker"?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

BT, that sounds like my Betty Crocker books. I've taped and glued every other page in both of them. They are also stained. I used to be a sloppier cook than I am now. I haven't made anything yet from the new book, but have really enjoyed looking thru it.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'd vote for the "Joy" book as a replacement.

For basics, the 2 cookbooks I use the most are my Joy of Cooking (the 1997 version), & Martha Stewart's basic cookbook (don't have the exact title, but it has a robins egg blue dustjacket & was put out several years ago. I also have the newer version of Martha's "basic" book as well. What I like about the "basic" Martha books is that they have interesting up-to-date recipes minus the frou-frou usually associated with Martha.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

I like the "Joy of Cooking" and 3babies try to get to Borders - they have the best variety of cooking books.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
good luck and have fun with it licia. looking forward to hearing of the recipes you make from it.

we use a 70's version of a betty crocker cookbook as a general reference, but it's getting torn up. in fact, it's in 3 chunks right now, with no cover.

i need to get another good basic reference. would anyone have an opinion on which is better? "joy" or "crocker"?
If I had to choose, I'd go for Joy. I received the latest a couple days ago -- $18 on Amazon. It's our fifth copy of Joy, with our oldest being a 1936, the first trade publication.

But why choose, BT? Have Joy and Betty. Get the new edition of Joy and then pick up a used copy of Betty, if you like her. They're always available on eBay.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #20
Master Chef

Just received my latest Daedalus Books catalog (my FAVORITE book catalog), & they had the newest edition of Joy of Cooking for $18.95.

Here's the website page: http://www.daedalusbooks.com/Product...=12&image1.y=4

This is why I never EVER pay full price for books anymore. Between Daedalus & my Borders Rewards discounts at Borders Books, I haven't paid more than 30-50% for any book, CD, or DVD.