I received my new "JOY OF COOKING" today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
When I came home today - my new Joy of Cooking had arrived. I will be spending some time enjoying that for a while.

There was a long & very interesting review of the newest Joy of Cooking edition in the New York Times today. You can access it online for free. It compares the newest edition to the original & all the revisions inbetween. Review for the newest version was "mixed".

It is such an American icon, any change or return or neither will lead to comment. That problem in itself assures good sales and continued use of the book. It truly is a trusted kitchen companion.

I don't pay much attention to critics since most of the time I don't agree with their analysis. I usually value my opinion over theirs. I've got some of the earlier editions and some look like they've been thru the war so I will enjoy this one for sure. It may be my bedtime reading for a while.

For those of you who have a Borders Books in your area, & are a member of their "Borders Rewards" (membership is free), from now through November 7th the new edition of Joy of Cooking will be available to members at 40% off, which is a pretty darn good discount. You just need a membership card (available at any Borders store) & a copy of the e-mail coupon they send out.

BreezyCooking said:
There was a long & very interesting review of the newest Joy of Cooking edition in the New York Times today. You can access it online for free. It compares the newest edition to the original & all the revisions inbetween. Review for the newest version was "mixed".

Maybe I didn't read the real review of the book itself (thought I did--had long enough! ;o) ) , but as I read the article it seemed to say that this edition corrected what a mess had been made with the last one that strayed SO badly from the original. This one is back to the family's wishes in preserving what is certainly a classic. I gave my 60's copy to my daughter.

I guess I'm a heretic. I only have the latst one, which was what, the 96 edition? I like it a lot, but I have no expereince with earlier ones.

thymeless

BreezyCooking said:
For those of you who have a Borders Books in your area, & are a member of their "Borders Rewards" (membership is free), from now through November 7th the new edition of Joy of Cooking will be available to members at 40% off, which is a pretty darn good discount. You just need a membership card (available at any Borders store) & a copy of the e-mail coupon they send out.

I am a member of the Borders Rewards and I also had my personal shopping day, were you get additional 10% off. So I got my copy of "The Joy Of Cookings 75th Anniversary" for $15.60. There are 1072 pages. IMHO, I think it is a great book.:wub:

thymeless said:
I guess I'm a heretic. I only have the latst one, which was what, the 96 edition? I like it a lot, but I have no expereince with earlier ones.

thymeless
I'm even more of a heretic, Thymeless. I don't have any! Years ago someone gave me the 60's version, but I never used it, so after years of using it as a doorstop, I gave it away. Have never felt the need to get another one. When I was a kid, I used to cook out of my mother's version, but I liked the Antoinette Pope Cooking School book better... and gave mom's old one away a few years ago, too.

It's interesting that, sometimes, the older editions of some cookbooks are the better ones. For example, the original Betty Crocker Cookbook. I have several editions but, by far, the 1950 edition is the best IMO. The newer ones pander to the harried housewife (did I use housewife?) by incorporating mixes in the recipes.

About 25 years ago, I spoke with someone at General Mills and was horrified at something I was told. She said that when people called to inquire about a recipe from the cookbook, they would simply cut out the recipe from one of the cookbooks and send it to the person. Consequently, many of their editions of that book were cut up and useless.

I have one pristine copy of the 1950 book I bought at a yard sale for about $1. I have two other copies, in considerably worse shape, that I paid about the same for, but wouldn't trade them for anything. I love reading the personal notations on the pages that were made by their previous owners. Someday my daughter will be the recipient of all my recipes and cookbooks.

shopping day

How do you get a personal shopping day at borders? I would love a 50% discount!!:chef:

3babies - go to any Borders store & ask. They'll give you a card (like a credit card) & approx. twice a month will e-mail you special coupons for great deals on books, CD's, DVD's, etc. If you spend a certain amount during the month, you get a "personal shopping day", which entitles you to an additional 10% off any purchases you make on that day. In addition, every time you make any purchase at Border's, 5% of your purchase goes into your "account", & between Nov. & Jan. you can use that money at Borders. I've got about $30 in mine now, which means I'll be able to buy something for myself or for a gift basically for free!!! I LOVE Borders Rewards!! Yes, Borders is making $$$ off me as well, but boy, I've gotten a LOT of great books, CD's, & DVD's at outrageously low prices since I joined.

good luck and have fun with it licia. looking forward to hearing of the recipes you make from it.

we use a 70's version of a betty crocker cookbook as a general reference, but it's getting torn up. in fact, it's in 3 chunks right now, with no cover.

i need to get another good basic reference. would anyone have an opinion on which is better? "joy" or "crocker"?

BT, that sounds like my Betty Crocker books. I've taped and glued every other page in both of them. They are also stained. I used to be a sloppier cook than I am now. I haven't made anything yet from the new book, but have really enjoyed looking thru it.

I'd vote for the "Joy" book as a replacement.

For basics, the 2 cookbooks I use the most are my Joy of Cooking (the 1997 version), & Martha Stewart's basic cookbook (don't have the exact title, but it has a robins egg blue dustjacket & was put out several years ago. I also have the newer version of Martha's "basic" book as well. What I like about the "basic" Martha books is that they have interesting up-to-date recipes minus the frou-frou usually associated with Martha.

buckytom said:
good luck and have fun with it licia. looking forward to hearing of the recipes you make from it.

we use a 70's version of a betty crocker cookbook as a general reference, but it's getting torn up. in fact, it's in 3 chunks right now, with no cover.

i need to get another good basic reference. would anyone have an opinion on which is better? "joy" or "crocker"?
If I had to choose, I'd go for Joy. I received the latest a couple days ago -- $18 on Amazon. It's our fifth copy of Joy, with our oldest being a 1936, the first trade publication.

But why choose, BT? Have Joy and Betty. Get the new edition of Joy and then pick up a used copy of Betty, if you like her. They're always available on eBay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom