"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
I made bacon spaghetti tonight. People are right: Bacon DOES make everything better, especially when it's made entirely of bacon.

I do have to work on the sauce some, though.
Bacon is good served with bacon

Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Rasputin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I won't be ready for molecular gastronomy for another fifty years. I am still trying to figure out what to use parchment paper for.

:/ Sadly I'm on the same page. The only thing I use wax paper for are for baking shortbread cookies. And I'm not even sure if I should do that!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
I made bacon spaghetti tonight. People are right: Bacon DOES make everything better, especially when it's made entirely of bacon.

I do have to work on the sauce some, though.
Pasta Carbonara comes to mind
Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Check out the book series, Modernist Cuisine.
It's what you might be looking for, OP.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
I'm taking a class on molecular gastronomy next quarter. I'll let you guys know how that turns out.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Head Chef

If molecular gastronomy is an evolution, it seems to be too often, as it's popularized, an evolution that evolved right past the point of it all, on to gee whiz, watch what happens and look at this expensive piece of gear.

But at it's legitimate core, it's really just opening up cooking to different techniques that are conceived after the physical basis of food preparation is better understood. If you're ordering exotic ingredients and following instructions, without studying and understanding the chemistry and physics, you're not doing molecular gastronomy, any more than the junior high science "experiment" is really an experiment or even the student's knowledgeable application of science. Doing chemistry exercises by rote isn't "doing" chemistry, any more than the worker who pours the specified amount of maltodextrin or xanthan gum into the factory pot is doing molecular gastronomy. For a great deal of what's featured in the craze, it wouldn't be though of as anything special, if the ingredients had been on the grocery shelves and in use all along. A great deal, if not most of it, has been routine industrial cooking for a very long time.

The point is that ALL cooking is molecular gastronomy, and most of the amateurs who are chasing off to the books and web sites don't yet understand the physical and chemical basis of their regular everyday cooking. Real molecular gastronomy is simply and literally cooking while knowing what you're doing. Most folks would do better to begin by just learning something as basic as the nature of heat transfer.

Heat Transfer and Cooking - Kitchen Notes - Cooking For Engineers

And reading Harold McGee:
Amazon.com: On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (9780684800011): Harold McGee: Books
Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm looking to evolve to the next plane. Anyone made the journey?

Not for quite a while. I prefer to take the train. It may take longer, but it is a lot less hassle, and the benefits outweigh the extra time.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I think I'll stick to exploring regional and ethnic cuisines for a while longer.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Master Chef

It sounds like you're missing out on eastern European and Russian cuisines.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It sounds like you're missing out on eastern European and Russian cuisines.
Who is your comment directed to?