Indian Cook Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Ishbel and Yakuta, I hope you're watching. But anyone ... I came to realize that I could really use an Indian cookbook. The one I own is quite old, a "restaurant" cookbook from Chicago. I'd like to add to my collection. What do you recommend? Hubby thinks something by Madhur. I don't get much of an excuse to buy a new cookbook these days (when you own an entire wall of cookbooks, you really have to find an excuse!). I'm ashamed to admit I'm rather interested in something that has a few short-cuts in it (the last time I made tandoori, I did it from scratch, which reminded me why I use blends!!). But any cookbook in print you recommend I'll look into.

Madhur Jaffrey has a lot of really beautiful indian cookbooks. Some of her recipes are VERY time consuming to prepare, although she has one "quick and easy" cookbook that is supposedly a bit easier. (although I think it uses a pressure cooker for many of the recipes)

I really like Easy Indian Cooking by Suneeta Vaswani. The recipes are easy enough for beginners, and the dishes always turn out very well. It's one of my favourite cookbooks actually... Here is a link to a review on Amazon.com

:) When I first started to cook indian food I started with this little treasure
called Curries without worries by sudha koul. Its a small book but the recipes are really good.I have other indian cook books but always go back to this little gem. You might be able to find it on Ebay or http://ecookbooks.com
I checked ecookbooks and they have it for less than 5.00$ with a 5 star rating on book
Recipes seem a bit easier than other books the work is mostly in the prep

Last edited:
My favorite cookbook is by Charmaine Solomon's complete Asian Cookbook. She may not be Indian but her recipes are extremely authentic. I only use that as my reference when I want to look up a recipe.

Madhur Jaffrey, Julie Sahani all have their cookbooks and they are fine but not that great for me. Please keep in mind I cook this food everyday so I am very well aware of the techniques it's just good recipes that catch my attention and authentic ingredients and I found that in Charmaine's book.

I recently purchased a cookbook from Amazon - The Essential Family Cookbook and I am really really enjoying it. I can't wait to try some recipes as soon as I get some time. It's by Jamie Oliver who I really like. It also has a lot of Indian inspired recipes and it's always great to see Jamie's creative spin on them.

I have a couple of Madhur Jaffrey's and I like them. I have found that, like other asian cuisines, once you understand the techniques and the thought behind the food and recipes, know what they should taste like, and find a source for your ingredients, then you really don't need a cookbook any more.

Back
Top Bottom