"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
Head Chef
Betty crocker for me.
I was given a childrens betty crocker cookbook and cooked everything, on my 12th birthday I was given the big book - I was so excited I have gotten 2 new ones thru the years. I still have all of them.
I have an uncle that bless his heart, I used him for my taster. I told him to be honest and he was, we laugh at some of those recipes, now at 57 yrs old I still included him in my new and old recipes. He always tells me whats next and what I should make next, stating his tastebuds need to revisit some food.
I also have the cookie book, He really loved that one, I made everyone off them. lol

The memories past and present !!!

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I also recommend Bittman's "How to Cook Everything". He uses simple ingredients, and the food is good.

danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Master Chef
South African Cookbook- Heritage Publishing
It's not only South African Recipes it's cuisine from many countries. There is not much that this book doesn't teach you.
It includes cooking techniques and everything else you need as a beginner and it was pretty cheap!
I was just a bit bummed since I bought it for the traditional SA recipes only to find out it's full of European cuisine too.
It was like buying an apple only to get home and find out it's an orange! Even though the orange might be really tasty it's still not an apple lol!
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Now You're Cooking

I used NOW YOU'RE COOKING (1994) by Elaine Corn. It was like having the author right there helping me in my apartment kitchen.

I also picked up a lot of cooking tips watching Giada De Laurentiis on her "Everyday Italian" TV cooking show. She explains why she does various things while she cooks.

Remember to always have fun while you are cooking.
"When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing... it's not my kitchen."--- Maxine
Max Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Tom Colicchio's "Think Like a Chef"

Tom Colicchio's "Think Like a Chef": DCFoodies.com

After reading this book I started planning meals at the store once I saw what was good
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
It's almost embarrassing for some reason. When I was 11 or 12 I was a pretty fat little kid and I could barely put together a bowl of cereal without setting the kitchen on fire.

My mom gave me the "Better Homes and Gardens: Chocolate" cookbook from like 1980 and managed to barely make a cake. It was falling apart and was by far the saddest looking cake in the world but I was seriously proud of it. I've been cooking like crazy ever since.

My current favourite cookbook is actually "The Gallery of Regrettable Food" but the difference is I love it because it's hilarious and not because I'm a fat little kid. Seriously, there's a lot of marshmallows in this thing.
Rob @ howtocookhero.com

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Send a message via AIM to CookNow
My wife swears by "The Joy of Cooking," and I started out with the ubiquitous "Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook." "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook" is another one that I've heard a lot of good things about.
Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy, green meat is a different story, however.
CookNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
betty crocker was for me. now mostly i just cook without a cook book. not baking, mind you but cooking.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Julio
Last year I purchased my first cookbook betty crocker's picture cook book. I like the way it tells you what kitchen items you need to use the book. It shows you how to measure things and also gives you a measuring table...
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #20
Master Chef
Whatever cookbook you choose, remember, recipes are a starting point, not the goal. Learn the techniques, and how to use the tools of cooking from the books. Real cooking comes when you start experimenting with flavors and techniques to create your own masterpieces.

It is absolutely true that the first time I roasted a chicken on my Webber Grill, I followed a recipe. It gave me technique. I was able to take what I learned from grilling that chicken, and transfer it to roasting turkeys both in the oven, and on the grill. They come out perfect because I was able to learn how meat reacts to heat, and to different kinds of heat. That's what you use your cookbook for. It is a teaching tool.

And don't be afraid to alter the recipes. You will get the hang of it in no time. That's the lesson I try to teach in my blog.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote