ISO Slow Cooker Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO is a home manager for a professional family with three kids. She prepares dinner for them as one of her responsibilities.

This week they asked her to buy them a slow cooker. She has one on order. She has never really used a slow cooker so is at a loss for recipes. I can't help because I've never used one either.

What she's looking for now is a really good slow cooker cookbook she can use with the new toy.

Any recommendations for a good slow cooker cookbook would really be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Andy

On another cooking board I frequent, Beth Hensperger's slow cooker books are highly regarded.
I have an autographed copy of Mabel Hoffman's book, but it is so old that the cooking times don't really apply to modern cookers since the modern ones run hotter than the older ones did. I've learned to adjust the cooking times in those recipes but I wouldn't recommend it as a first slow cooker book.

And more than anything, if there is any kind of booklet with cooking tips included with the slow cooker, be sure to follow it.

I have these (older editions though)
fix it and forget it cookbook recipes - Google Product Search

They are pretty good. You just have to be careful becasue some of the recipes used canned cream soups and are highly salty.

You can also find some Crock-Pot cook books at supermarket checkouts. I have a few older ones of those too and they have some good recipes in them as well.

I to have what Dave has. Anytime I read a recipe for slow cookers that call for a can of soup It's ditched. As Dave says they are loaded up with salt. She can achieve better results making up her own dishes. She already knows what the family's preferred diet is. I've learned timing is everything when cooking meats and veggies.

I'll go through a few of my own recipes and see if any of them are good enough for her and post them later in the slow cooker section.

Munky.

I got one with my first such appliance, more than 25 years ago; I like the kind of cookbook with spiral pages, so it sits flat.

DD gave such cookbooks as gifts in one office she worked in, she just went to the Bargain Center of Border's and her coworker was thrilled.

Just make sure it has a variety of recipes, that's what counts.

I don't think so Andy. I have made a number of successful meals from this cookbook (like the sloppy joes last night), but I have also made some that did not work out too well as they ended up overcooked. I have learned from those mistakes though and could make them much better the next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom