ISO Vegetarian Cookbook Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KathyJ

Senior Cook
I just found out this week that my best friend back home is now a vegetarian due to her leukemia. Her body can't process the protein found in meats and even meat stock.

So, I thought I'd check with you guys and see if anyone has any vegetarian cookbooks to recommend. I'd like to be able to give her a list and also to be able to check at the stores myself for them.

thank you!

Kathy

The Moosehead Vegetarian cookbook is supposed to be great, I have yet to add it to my collection.

One of my favorites is The Carb Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robertson.

My other favorites are anything by Rose Elliot, I bought her books here in the UK.

I would suggest reading reviews on Amazon.com, thats how I buy many of my books.

Read Frances Lappe's books, Diet for a Small Planet and Recipes for a Small Planet to get a good grounding on compatible ingredients for complete vegetable proteins, and then have fun combining things. Also ethnic recipes like African, Indian and Middle Eastern recipes have a myriad of vegetarian possibilities. Then there are great cookbooks put out by the Mennonites with recipes from all over the world, many of them vegetarian. More with Less is a great example of that. Also there's a little book that came out in the 80's called Lean Bean Cuisine that is terrific for ideas with legumes.

vegetarian cookbbok

Sorry you friend is so poorly;

try this book its rather good

The Accidental Vegetarian: Delicious Food Without Meat (Paperback) by simon rimmer

I would second national and ethnic recipes from Middle east, India, Asia. food is treated naturally and well spiced so very tasty. As India has at least half its population being vegetarian, great dishes come from there.

thank you again for all the recommendations.
My friend and her husband are having fun going through all the recipes and books I've sent out.

KathyJ

Two that come to mind are:

Maddhur Jaffrey's "Eastern Vegetarian Cooking"
Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone"

Best of luck to your friend!

Back
Top Bottom