"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

My husband bought me this book as part of my Mothers' Day present from the "furred & feathered kids". I haven't read it yet, but it's next on my list.

(Oh, & by the way, the list price of the book is $25.95, but my husband picked up my copy at our local CostCo for $14.99. If you have a CostCo near you, it might be worth checking for. Ours has a pretty good book section.)

Old 07-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I actually ended up buying it from one of my bookclubs. I had already read it from the library and ended up enjoying it so much that it went high on my wishlist.
I had picked up her "Mastering" cookbooks at a thrift store with the intention of reselling them, but have now decided to keep them, knowing the background of them now.
I now look for any of her other books (have picked up a few) and she is on my "keep" list. How many did she write? anyone know?

Old 07-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
Executive Chef

it's on my list this summer
Old 07-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Devoured it (no pun intended) over one weekend...couldn't put it down.

I learned so much about cooking as a kid in the 60's, watching The French Chef on TV. I never tire of watching her shows. If you enjoyed the book, you might want to invest in the DVD sets The French Chef and The French Chef 2.

Joe
Old 07-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
I was just going to say wait for June to reply on this... but she did.. Its going to be a MUST read book.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Ishbel - my first Italian Cookbook was Elizabeth David's "Italian Food", purchased after a month long trip to Italy. I have it in front of me now. All the classic recipes are there. What a wonderful introduction to Italian cuisine! I believe Mrs. David was instrumental in modifying the dull English palate and guiding it to more exciting flavours.
However, one has to remember that her books were written in the 1950's and 1960's.
I just giggled when I read this:
La Bagna Cauda
One of the famous specialities of the province of Piedmont.
...it is a dish which essentially needs..plenty of strong coarse red wine...Barbera.It is also excessively indigestible...only for those with very resistant stomachs"

And regarding Italian wines:
...although Italian wine producers.. are on the whole, honest, they are also careless...rarely are the contents of two successive bottles the same..."

If there was one high point in my culinary life, it was sitting in a Trattoria in Venice eating exactly the same food as the 16 members of a local family next to us.! How times change.
Her "French Provincial Cooking" is a classic; as is "Spices, Salt and Aromatics in the English Kitchen"
Old 07-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #17
Executive Chef

We lived abroad from when I was a very young child. As a soldier's wife, my mum used her Elizabeth David recipes with local ingredients and added her own twists, too. I can remember when we came home to the UK that so much of the food was very, very bland.

We grew up eating quite exotically by British standards of the time. And I thank God that my Mum was interested enough in cooking to treasure her ED books, rather than, say Marguerite Patten!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

Well, I'm now halfway through this book & find it difficult to put down!!!

What a wonderful narrative!!! Not only do you "feel" what it was like to actually live in France during the 50's - not only food, but the countryside, people, culture, etc. - but just reading the details of the work, inspiration, & length of time that went into producing Mastering the Art of French Cooking makes me want to run downstairs, tear the book open, & cook something from it - (if it wasn't so darn hot here right now) - lol!!!!!

Anyway, even though I haven't finished yet, I can highly recommend it as a most entertaining read, particularly if you were/are a big Julia Child fan like I am.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanks for the info, Ishbel!! Julia's book is on my list!
Old 07-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Hi Loprraine (BTW - should that be Lorraine?!)
It wasn't me that recommended the Julia Childs' book - I was recommending that if people liked her book, they might be interested in the UK's equivalent, ie Elizabeth David.