"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I too have about 4-5 dozen. About 1-2 dozen were gifted/inherited. The remainder (most of them) I've become interested in and obtained copies of about 2-3 dozen after checking them out at my public library (among literally 100's of other cookbooks) and buying only the best (usually from Amazon) and perhaps copying a few recipes from the remainder that didn't make the cut.

I generally won't buy a cookbook until I've seen a copy, reviewed it, and maybe cooked a few of the recipes. I buy only the best of the best.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
Head Chef

SShhh shhh, its ok to buy books.

I'm addicted too.

I had to buy some pretty bookcases from Ikea to put them all in and I like having them all in one place now.

I use them a lot, they are a constant source of inspiration. My idea of heaven is going to bed with a cookery book.

I don't get out much.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I finally had to draw the line, no more bookcases!

When one book comes in one book goes out!

I am holding steady now at about 1,200 total!

It was very painful to get rid of about 1,800 books, now that it is done I really don't miss them!

I still buy books each week but, I am much more selective now that I have to get rid of one I already have. I buy my books in the aftermarket (used ) so it is not a big expense.
I do do this, too. BUT since I discovered EatYourBooks, I use a lot more of them, and I am very selective about what I get rid of......
Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I'm really pleased with my cookbook collection. As I said I have about 4-5 dozen, and out of the 3-4 dozen I have purchased I wouldn't give a single one back not even if my purchase price including shipping were to be refunded.

I worked hard figuring out which ones to buy, almost always read copies from the library and bought only the ones I had to have. I must have gone through hundreds of cookbooks at the public library over the last couple decades.

I don't waste my money on books I won't like and won't use.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I haven't bought a new cookbook in months. Once I have the money, there are a few I'll be picking up, though.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Kindle can be helpful.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I had 80 cookbooks before we came to Mexico the first time. When it was time to come again, I brought maybe a dozen. I have added to my cookbooks since I've been here. I also search the internet and have great fun finding new things to try.

Oh, and reading is good for the brain, as is trying new things. If anyone complains about the number of cookbooks you have you can tell them that you are keeping your brain active so it will work well longer!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
SShhh shhh, its ok to buy books.

I'm addicted too.

I had to buy some pretty bookcases from Ikea to put them all in and I like having them all in one place now.

I use them a lot, they are a constant source of inspiration. My idea of heaven is going to bed with a cookery book.

I don't get out much.
I know the feeling. When my kids were small, I would sit and pour over cookbooks. We had the original Joy of Cooking. It was my Bible. The French Chef with Julia Child was just starting on what was then ETV. Educational Television. I was her most ardent fan. I dreamt of new pots and pans and kitchen appliances. I had no life.