Keep buying books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
I see them and want them. I bought like 2 in the last 2 weeks! The William and Sonoma baking book and the curry cookbook. Anyone else have this problem? I must be close to 25 books

I see them and want them. I bought like 2 in the last 2 weeks! The William and Sonoma baking book and the curry cookbook. Anyone else have this problem? I must be close to 25 books
That's how I ended up with over 1000...buy cookbooks, bug DH to build bookshelves...buy more books, build more bookshelves...it is a vicious circle!

I can resist most cook books and have maintained about five feet devoted to them by replacing more useful ones with less useful, as they come along. Recipes for me are just suggestions. Books about food that aren't literally cookbooks are not included. They can be acquired without limit.

Doesn't apply to other books, either. I generally have three or four months of arrived new (to me) books backed up. My goal is that when I die, the heirs will stand there in awe, thinking, "What the hell are we going to do with all these books." Of course, it means always thinking about where to locate new bookcases. And I regularly reread old favorites, so few can ever be culled.

For book addicts, half.com is your friend (and your wife's enemy).

I finally had to draw the line, no more bookcases!

When one book comes in one book goes out!

I am holding steady now at about 1,200 total!

It was very painful to get rid of about 1,800 books, now that it is done I really don't miss them!

I still buy books each week but, I am much more selective now that I have to get rid of one I already have. I buy my books in the aftermarket (used :LOL:) so it is not a big expense.

It was very painful to get rid of about 1,800 books, now that it is done I really don't miss them!

I still buy books each week but, I am much more selective now that I have to get rid of one I already have. I buy my books in the aftermarket (used :LOL:) so it is not a big expense.

I must be weak, that is a restriction that I would never place on myself.:rolleyes:

I must be weak, that is a restriction that I would never place on myself.:rolleyes:

It had to be done!

I have also divided the remaining books into those that will go to the "home" with me and those that will be left behind, when that time comes.

I wish I could find a young bibliophile to hand off some of my better books to, so far no luck. :(

It had to be done!

I have also divided the remaining books into those that will go to the "home" with me and those that will be left behind, when that time comes.

I wish I could find a young bibliophile to hand off some of my better books to, so far no luck. :(

I too, often wonder what will happen to my collection. I have lots of first editions, scads of no longer in print and many signed books.

Tough to get rid of books like that!

I have well over 200 cookbooks, and declared a moratorium. Until I cook something from each of them, I cannot buy another. I also have "food" books; biographies and autobiographies, memoirs, etc, of famous chefs and travel books where food is featured.

I have close to 50 cookbooks.. mostly Asian themed.. girlfriend complains whenever I buy another.. Like she suffers.. the only thing she cooks is breakfast on weekends I'm not at work..

-Damien

I too have about 4-5 dozen. About 1-2 dozen were gifted/inherited. The remainder (most of them) I've become interested in and obtained copies of about 2-3 dozen after checking them out at my public library (among literally 100's of other cookbooks) and buying only the best (usually from Amazon) and perhaps copying a few recipes from the remainder that didn't make the cut.

I generally won't buy a cookbook until I've seen a copy, reviewed it, and maybe cooked a few of the recipes. I buy only the best of the best.

SShhh shhh, its ok to buy books.

I'm addicted too.

I had to buy some pretty bookcases from Ikea to put them all in and I like having them all in one place now.

I use them a lot, they are a constant source of inspiration. My idea of heaven is going to bed with a cookery book. :yum:

I don't get out much.;)

I do do this, too. BUT since I discovered EatYourBooks, I use a lot more of them, and I am very selective about what I get rid of......

I'm really pleased with my cookbook collection. As I said I have about 4-5 dozen, and out of the 3-4 dozen I have purchased I wouldn't give a single one back not even if my purchase price including shipping were to be refunded.

I worked hard figuring out which ones to buy, almost always read copies from the library and bought only the ones I had to have. I must have gone through hundreds of cookbooks at the public library over the last couple decades.

I don't waste my money on books I won't like and won't use.

I haven't bought a new cookbook in months. Once I have the money, there are a few I'll be picking up, though.

I had 80 cookbooks before we came to Mexico the first time. When it was time to come again, I brought maybe a dozen. I have added to my cookbooks since I've been here. I also search the internet and have great fun finding new things to try.

Oh, and reading is good for the brain, as is trying new things. If anyone complains about the number of cookbooks you have you can tell them that you are keeping your brain active so it will work well longer!

SShhh shhh, its ok to buy books.

I'm addicted too.

I had to buy some pretty bookcases from Ikea to put them all in and I like having them all in one place now.

I use them a lot, they are a constant source of inspiration. My idea of heaven is going to bed with a cookery book. :yum:

I don't get out much.;)

:ROFLMAO: I know the feeling. When my kids were small, I would sit and pour over cookbooks. We had the original Joy of Cooking. It was my Bible. The French Chef with Julia Child was just starting on what was then ETV. Educational Television. I was her most ardent fan. I dreamt of new pots and pans and kitchen appliances. I had no life. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom