Korean Cookbook Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntdot

Head Chef
There was a time when we used to go to Korean restaurants, and loved them.

Now we live a good distance away from any.

Had not thought about the food until recently.

And miss it.

We do have access (some 30 miles) to an Asian market so we can get some ingredients.

Would like to buy a good Korean cookbook.

Would like a fairly basic one.

I have a number of cookbooks from other cuisines that require very extensive preparation of ingredients.

And do not want that.

I guess what I am saying is I don't want the ultimate guide to Korean cooking, I just want to know how to cook the basic recipes.

Thanks a lot, you guys are great.

I don't know if they have one (I didn't check online), but see if they have a "Korean Cooking for Dummies" book. I've seen the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. ones and they actually are very good, especially if you are not familiar with the cuisine.

Not exactly a cookbook suggestion, auntdot, but something you may be interested in anyway since you're kinda in my neck of the woods:

Korean meat market (West Meat) at 14124 Lee Highway (Route 29, Gainesville)
703-987-1090
open MonSat 9 a.m-7pm, Sun 9 am -noon

Thanks Ironchef, don't think they have the Korean for Dummies, Googled a bunch. But I love the Dummies (and Idiots) series. Have many of them. They are a great way to learn something about a subject fast, at least for us.

Mudbug, wow, used to pass that place all the time. Now I usually take 66 and avoid the Gainesville traffic snarl (now I just spend my mornings in the 66 conga line). But always meant to go there. Will certainly now, thanks.

auntdot said:
9now I just spend my mornings in the 66 conga line). But always meant to go there. Will certainly now, thanks.

I'm in that conga line too, auntdot, but I'm in the early lineup (5:30 a.m.) and get to get off at 28 towards the airport so I miss most of the fun. Used to have to keep on truckin' all the way into D.C.

I have not checked this place out myself yet, but have the clip from the Post on the fridge as a joint to check out one of these days. If you get there soon, let me know how it is.

Oh, boo-hoo. I went upstairs to find my Korean cookbook, and it isn't there! Well, it isn't where it should be is better. My cookbooks are somewhat organized. But there's no one around here who would borrow it, so it'll turn up in France or American Regional, or maybe even over in biographies. Luckily, the Korean recipes I use the most are firmly in my little gray cells (kal bi, bulgogi, kimchees, mandoo, and chop chae). Oh, I guess I'm overdue to make a Korean meal! My mouth is watering!

Aunt Dot, I sympathise. I'm sure there is Korean food somewhere in Chicago -- well over 3 hours away (in other words, not going to happen), so if I don't make it, we don't get it. I find this a bit ironic, because I think of all Asian cuisines, bulgogi, kal bi, and mandoo are dishes that most people, even unadventurous ones, would like.

Last edited:
Claire said:
I find this a bit ironic, because I think of all Asian cuisines, bulgogi, kal bi, and mandoo are dishes that most people, even unadventurous ones, would like.

But surely not the kimchees... :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

There are several types of fresh kimchis that can masquerade as light summer side salads pretty well. Fresh kimchis don't ferment like regular kimchis.

I agree -- actually, I only "do" fresh kimchees. I don't care for the ones that are heavily fermented or have fish of any kind. I make my own. (Strangely enough, you can buy the traditional napa cabbage kimchee here at the Wal-Marts, although the Korean community here is almost nonexistant! I was delighted to see it when I moved here, hoping it meant there was some sort of Korean community and I'd find a good Korean carry-out. Oh, well.)

I like to make cucumber kimchee and do it quite often. Napa, the most traditional, I've had problems with because the past few times I've bought a head of napa it was rotted in the middle and I wound up not having enough cabbage to make even a small jar.

Late to the conversation, but wanted to let anyone seeking a Korean cookbook to look into Cook Korean by Robin Ha. I bought this for my husband so he could be mastah of a cuisine. It is highly illustrated with drawings, but so far he loves it and looks forward to using it, he wants to make his own kimchi, and we do not have any Korean restaurants near us.

You're never to late to a conversation/thread Flour. :)

Unless you never post on it. :(

I personally love to see old threads revived because there is a ton of information on this site and no matter how well you search something you'll always be surprised when someone finds a lost treasure and brings the question up again to be viewed in a new light. :rolleyes:

The Robin Ha cookbook looks interesting.

Thanks for the info.

And Welcome to the Loony Bin that's called DC. ;)

Due to your Nick I'll have to offer these as your welcome gift. :flowers:

We've made several recipes off the My Korean Kitchen blog and they've all been good. I believe she also has a cookbook. Info is on her web site.

Late to the conversation, but wanted to let anyone seeking a Korean cookbook to look into Cook Korean by Robin Ha. I bought this for my husband so he could be mastah of a cuisine. It is highly illustrated with drawings, but so far he loves it and looks forward to using it, he wants to make his own kimchi, and we do not have any Korean restaurants near us.

I have heard good things about this one. My oldest daughter wants to get it.

Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook. Is really good, she has a youtube channel so she wrote it knowing that she needs to include and explain steps. On my last trip to NY she gave me an autographed copy.

A Korean Mothers Cooking Notes by Chang, Sun-young is a good read with good recipes.

For blogs My Korean Kitchen, Korean Bapsang, Beyond Kimchee and Kimchimari.

Back
Top Bottom