Lard alternative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacob Vicente

Assistant Cook
I am living in Indonesia , and as you guess no pork! So I need an alternative lard product , I am racking my brains and can't think of what to use! For pastrys!

Please help aarrgghhh

:chef: cooking is a passion baking is a science

Jacob

I do not bake, but my immediate thought is a crisco-type grease. Also, for some pastries butter, or even margarine.

June Crisco I think is what we call Vegetable Lard, I very rarely use anything but butter in my pastry. Hot water crust I use a mix of butter and lard or goose or duck fat. What is the pastry for.:)

Yes, a number of butchers and grocers have suet available, but sometimes you have to ask for it, as they don't always put it out in the display case. People around here mostly use it for bird food.

You may appreciate this, but one of my favorite dishes is a savory leek pudding that a friend in West Yorkshire passed along. The recipe uses a suet pastry dough. But I suppose you could use lard, or even butter, in a pinch. Delicious recipe, though.

Last edited:
I've been reading this and I'm just a touch confused. Is your lard primarily rendered pork fat? The lard I buy is rendered beef fat I think. I'm fortunate though, the stuff I buy is also non hydrogenated.

Last edited:
Alix, Lard is rendered pork fat. It can come from any part of the pig, though "leaf lard" is the best, and comes from the rendered fat surrounding the kidneys.

Rendered beef fat is called Tallow. It's made from suet, which is the fat surrounding the kidneys of a cow.

So, tallow and lard come from the same part of the anatomy, just different animals.

And you're right - non-hydrogenated is by far the best way to go.

Last edited:
Alix, Lard is rendered pork fat. It can come from any part of the pig, though "leaf lard" is the best, and comes from the rendered fat surrounding the kidneys.

Rendered beef fat is called Tallow. It's made from suet, which is the fat surrounding the kidneys of a cow.

So, tallow and lard come from the same part of the anatomy, just different animals.

And you're right - non-hydrogenated is by far the best way to go.

Thanks Steve, I could've sworn my box said "beef lard". I'll go take a peek.

Jennyema, if it's fresh, neither lard, suet, or tallow have much of a taste at all.

People have used it for thousands of years to make pastry. It's only in the last hundred years that animal fat has gotten a bad rap. And recent studies have shown that much of it is undeserved. Rendered animal fat has less saturated fat than butter, and much less trans fat than hydrogenated vegetable shortening or margarine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom