"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Lots of better choices for that money

Old 04-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I consider Larousse a reference book for reading not a recipe book. My edition is 1966. I was looking at it last night and for Bouillabaisse it has 2 full pages but no recipes only what it has in it in different areas. I like to read it and then do my own thing. The only actual thing it said about amts is for 8 people you need 6.5# of sea food. The French recipe book that I like is Raymond Olliver. I do own a couple encyclopedias of cooking but they have no recipes or ingredient lists.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone for all the input...
I think that I will hold off for a while as I'm not a "gourmet" cook....I would like to get a copy eventually though for reference.
I just splurged on some of the "beautiful cookbooks"... that'll have to hold me for a while.

-k
Old 04-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
Master Chef

I LOVE the "Beautiful" cookbooks series. Have them all, & except for a few, all in the older hardcover editions. Apparently Borders Books has had a number of them republished in hardcover editions under their own masthead & at much lower prices (they were all originally put out at around $40-$50). You can now get them for around $10, & they're just as lovely as ever. Also make a fun read, since each chapter starts with a basic food history of the province.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm with everyone else -- a fun book to have if you already have dozens of cookbooks (I also have an Escoffier, and several other reproductions of antique cookbooks). Not for cooking, but for research and just fun reading.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:55 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
To me it is a great source of food information, and there are some fine recipes.

But it is not a recipe book.

Quote:
Useless for anything but traditional European cuisine though. I own the most recent revision and it doesn't pay much more than lip service to other cuisines.

Quote:
It's quite the definitive reference source for French cooking. But unless you are really into profession standard cooking you may not need something that detailed.

I would add something else. It is not much use for the average housewife. It is written for professional chefs working in restaurants.

To sum up: it is a great book to read but useless for practical use.

That's my humble opinion, anyway.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I think it is an extrodinary book. A hands down classic that I dreamed of owning for years, before DH suprised me with a copy one day entirely out of the blue. Which brought me to tears and made it all the more special. For anyone who enjoys classic French/European cuisine or simply enjoys reading about food (history) this is a must own book.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
It's a great reference book, which is indeed set up like an enclycopedia... not a cookbook. It also has a lot of information on cooking history.

I had read that the newer versions had added material and was "dumbed down" somewhat. So, I bought the initial US release (1961) for less than 20 bucks. Completely worth it IMO.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdolfski View Post
It's a great reference book, which is indeed set up like an enclycopedia... not a cookbook. It also has a lot of information on cooking history.

I had read that the newer versions had added material and was "dumbed down" somewhat. So, I bought the initial US release (1961) for less than 20 bucks. Completely worth it IMO.
I also have the 1961 version got it on Ebay years ago.The most expensive book I have is Wenzels Menu Maker the 1970s edition it still cost $165.00 fortunately I got it as a gift.That book has everything you need to know from running a diner to fine dining,payroll etc and tons of recipes.Not many people have heard of this book but its a great one.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #20
Head Chef

I recently sold my wenzels menu maker but kept my larousse it is history pesonified
I am no longer involved in the food seen Retired.