Larousse Gastronomique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KathyJ

Senior Cook
I was at the local used bookstore last night, trying to earn some store credit by turning in books, and they had a copy of this book for only $20 - I believe it was a 1977 edition.

I've heard that this is a great resource and reference book to have. Does anyone have a copy and do you use it???

Thanks....

-kathy

Yes and Yes.

It's quite the definitive reference source. But unless you are really into cooking you may not need something that detailed.

great book, but not a "joy of cooking" type book. it is really in depth. I own it. $20 is great because it costs $80 new

Useless for anything but traditional European cuisine though. I own the most recent revision and it doesn't pay much more than lip service to other cuisines.

Yes I have one and have had it for many, many years. I just read it occassionally. Would I buy one now? No there are better books on the mkt. Any Julia Child, Shirley Corriher, ?Oliver (a senior moment), etc. Really depends what type of cooking you do or plan to do. There are other very good reference books but as I said.... a senior moment.

Gosh, have had mine for some twenty years or so.

To me it is a great source of food information, and there are some fine recipes.

But it is not a recipe book.

Love to read it.

Enjoy.

I wouldn't suggest it for the everyday home cook, i used it studying classic technique in culinary school and it is great for that, but not a "cookbook"

Swann said:
Yes I have one and have had it for many, many years. I just read it occassionally. Would I buy one now? No there are better books on the mkt. Any Julia Child, Shirley Corriher, ?Oliver (a senior moment), etc. Really depends what type of cooking you do or plan to do. There are other very good reference books but as I said.... a senior moment.

I'm not sure you can compare LG to Cookwise or any of Julia or Jamie's books.

LG is a reference book organized as an encyclopedia with occasional recipes. It is, like others have suggested, more approriate for experienced cooks and "foodies." It's not a cookbook or a textbook on technique like The New Professional Chef.

Cookwise is a book about science and technique with lots of recipes in it. Julia's books and Jamie's books are cookbooks, focusing on recipes. Julia's address technique in greater detail.

IMO these are very different types of books. I love my LG and will eventually buy an updated edition, even though it's expensive.

A cheaper alternative as encyclopedias go is "The Food Lovers Dictionary."

I consider Larousse a reference book for reading not a recipe book. My edition is 1966. I was looking at it last night and for Bouillabaisse it has 2 full pages but no recipes only what it has in it in different areas. I like to read it and then do my own thing. The only actual thing it said about amts is for 8 people you need 6.5# of sea food. The French recipe book that I like is Raymond Olliver. I do own a couple encyclopedias of cooking but they have no recipes or ingredient lists.

Thanks everyone for all the input...
I think that I will hold off for a while as I'm not a "gourmet" cook....I would like to get a copy eventually though for reference.
I just splurged on some of the "beautiful cookbooks"... that'll have to hold me for a while.

-k

I LOVE the "Beautiful" cookbooks series. Have them all, & except for a few, all in the older hardcover editions. Apparently Borders Books has had a number of them republished in hardcover editions under their own masthead & at much lower prices (they were all originally put out at around $40-$50). You can now get them for around $10, & they're just as lovely as ever. Also make a fun read, since each chapter starts with a basic food history of the province.

I'm with everyone else -- a fun book to have if you already have dozens of cookbooks (I also have an Escoffier, and several other reproductions of antique cookbooks). Not for cooking, but for research and just fun reading.

To me it is a great source of food information, and there are some fine recipes.

But it is not a recipe book.

Useless for anything but traditional European cuisine though. I own the most recent revision and it doesn't pay much more than lip service to other cuisines.

It's quite the definitive reference source for French cooking. But unless you are really into profession standard cooking you may not need something that detailed.

I would add something else. It is not much use for the average housewife. It is written for professional chefs working in restaurants.

To sum up: it is a great book to read but useless for practical use.

That's my humble opinion, anyway.

I think it is an extrodinary book. A hands down classic that I dreamed of owning for years, before DH suprised me with a copy one day entirely out of the blue. Which brought me to tears and made it all the more special. For anyone who enjoys classic French/European cuisine or simply enjoys reading about food (history) this is a must own book.

It's a great reference book, which is indeed set up like an enclycopedia... not a cookbook. It also has a lot of information on cooking history.

I had read that the newer versions had added material and was "dumbed down" somewhat. So, I bought the initial US release (1961) for less than 20 bucks. Completely worth it IMO.

It's a great reference book, which is indeed set up like an enclycopedia... not a cookbook. It also has a lot of information on cooking history.

I had read that the newer versions had added material and was "dumbed down" somewhat. So, I bought the initial US release (1961) for less than 20 bucks. Completely worth it IMO.
I also have the 1961 version got it on Ebay years ago.The most expensive book I have is Wenzels Menu Maker the 1970s edition it still cost $165.00 fortunately I got it as a gift.That book has everything you need to know from running a diner to fine dining,payroll etc and tons of recipes.Not many people have heard of this book but its a great one.

Back
Top Bottom