Looking For This Particular Cookbook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what's the relationship between the books "The Professional Chef" and "The New Professional Chef"? The latter was recommended on this fourm some time ago. I've been looking for it on a store shelf (I'm a bit hesitant to buy a cookbook or book on cooking without having seen one in person), but haven't found one.

Any comments about the relationship between the books or preferences are welcome!

Paul

jennyema said:
The 8th edition?

Usually Amazon is good about getting things out immediately and they say it hasn't been released yet.

Jessica's Biscuit says: The Professional Chef, 8th Edition
by Culinary Institute of America
Hardcover - 1232 pages Not yet released by the publisher.
Anticipated Release Date: August 2006. You may pre-order this title.

If you have an early release, can I have one too?? Seriously!:chef:

I would have probably kept the order intact had I known that the first time around.

But I was so pissed off after having waited almost a month, then calling them and finding that out!!!:mad:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
Thank you ever so much for doing that!! I owe you one.

Just try to get a box just big enough for it to fit in, tape it closed and write the addresses on it. Bring it to the post office so that they can weight it and charge you accordingly. Thanks.

~Corey123.

I believe it was shipped out yesterday or today from where I work. My best friend works at the reception desk & she packaged it up & shipped it for me. It probably went UPS. Since we're not that far away from each other, you'll have it real soon. :)
Corinne

RajunCajun said:
So what's the relationship between the books "The Professional Chef" and "The New Professional Chef"? The latter was recommended on this fourm some time ago. I've been looking for it on a store shelf (I'm a bit hesitant to buy a cookbook or book on cooking without having seen one in person), but haven't found one.

Any comments about the relationship between the books or preferences are welcome!

Paul

Confusing.

I think "The New Professional Chef" is the 6th edition of the same CIA textbook. It hadn't been updated in over 25 years, so they added "New" to the name for that edition. I think.

The 7th and 8th editions went back to the original name.

Corinne -- is your 6th edition called "New?"

It's a fantsatic book if you are really into the culinary arts.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
Confusing.

I think "The New Professional Chef" is the 6th edition of the same CIA textbook. It hadn't been updated in over 25 years, so they added "New" to the name for that edition. I think.

The 7th and 8th editions went back to the original name.

Corinne -- is your 6th edition called "New?"

It's a fantsatic book if you are really into the culinary arts.

It's title is the NEW P.C. I think the copyright is 1996 so I guess it's 10 years old but I haven't had it for that long! I wonder when the 7th edition came out & what changed!

C

Corinne,

Remind me to pay attention, as you said in your earlier post that it was "new." :blush:

The 7th came out in 2001, I think.

Corinne said:
No, just the 6th edition. It's the "New Professional Chef". How much different can the 8th edition be?

I'm assuming that newer stuff is added to the book when each and every edition is written and published.

Just like the regular cookbooks when THEY are republished every few years.

Case in point- the Betty Crocker Cookbook. That particular cookbook has been revised again and again and again, about several dozen or more times since its first introduction in the '50s, to include more recipes and improved prep and cooking techniques.

~Corey123.

Thank you for the book, Corinne!!!

It came today. Love it!!! Looked through it already. I love the color pics and all the info that it provides!! Thanks again!!

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Thank you for the book, Corinne!!!

It came today. Love it!!! Looked through it already. I love the color pics and all the info that it provides!! Thanks again!!

~Corey123.

Wonderful - I'm glad it arrived so quickly!!! It was my pleasure to give it to you. I hope you enjoy it for years to come! :)

I most certainly will!! Thanks again!!

If you think that there might be something that I can do for you, let me know.

~Corey123.

The 8th Edition of The Professional Chef - textbook from the gang at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) according to the publisher (Wiley) will not be released until late August, 2006. List price is $70 and Amazon.Com has it for $44.10. There is also a companion Study Guide for $25 ...

If you just want to learn how to make the mother sauces and most of the daughter sauces and proper stocks ... there are cheaper alternatives. Since these works are all derived from Escoffier, who expanded on the work of Creme - you might check your local discount/half-price bookstore for a copy of The Escoffier Cookbook (about $15 at Amazon but I picked up my copy at a Half-Price Bookstore - new hardcover edition for about $7 a couple of years ago).

I DO have a prior book from the Culinary Institute of Amnerice called Cooking at Home. It's the first edition - publiched in '03.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom