Much excitement abound!!! received great cookbooks as gifts!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Got my birthday present from my girlfriend. A copy of the latest Larousse Gastronomique in full and The Professional Chef from the Culinary Institute of America.

This is awesome! My cooking knowledge which, with no training whatsoever, if far from complete is greatly improved since a ground in the proper basics is now possible, especially in the sauces area.

More information than you can poke a stick at!

Currently working my way through reading the Professional Chef, the Larousse isn't as much of a reading book being an encyclopaedia but that still hasn't stopped me getting lost for a couple of hours in its 1300-odd pages.

i'm going to try to poke my wife with a stick and see what presents i get. (i'll bet i will see airborne/incoming cookware and cookbooks) :D

I got the new Larousse a year ago, and if you love food history at all, you will LOVE this. Right now I'm kicking my butt because when I first moved here I found an OLD Larousse in a junk shop, but was on foot and didn't want to lug it home, thinking I'd go back and get it. It would be fun to compare the old and the new.

I have both and find them very useful. They are a wealth of knowledge. Larousse being an encyclopedia is a bit less practically useful that TNPC, which is a teaching textbook. But I love to open up Larousse and read while I eat.

Take a look at amazon, they have a deal with the Larousse and the Professional Chef bundled together, thats what I got.

It cost the same amount to get both books and have them shipped over here than it is to buy just the concise version of Larousse in the bookstores I looked at here.[/b]

When I heard that Larousse was coming out with a new edition (I think it was about 5 years ago) I actually joined a cookbook club and bought enough cookbooks to get the Larousse for free. Probably the most expensive cookbook I own, it would have been cheaper to just buy it outright! Periodically I take it down from my regular cookbook shelf (hundreds!) and put it on my sideboard so I can just remember to peruse it. I'm now kicking myself because when I first moved here there was an old Larousse at a junk store for $40 and I didn't buy it. It is so much fun to see how things were done years ago.

buckytom said:
i'm going to try to poke my wife with a stick and see what presents i get. (i'll bet i will see airborne/incoming cookware and cookbooks) :D

And lots of stars too:LOL: :LOL:

That's great Haggis!! What a special birthday. Have lots of fun. Let us know of any good ones.
And btw
13.gif

Back
Top Bottom