"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Much excitement abound!!! received great cookbooks as gifts!!!

Got my birthday present from my girlfriend. A copy of the latest Larousse Gastronomique in full and The Professional Chef from the Culinary Institute of America.

This is awesome! My cooking knowledge which, with no training whatsoever, if far from complete is greatly improved since a ground in the proper basics is now possible, especially in the sauces area.

More information than you can poke a stick at!

Currently working my way through reading the Professional Chef, the Larousse isn't as much of a reading book being an encyclopaedia but that still hasn't stopped me getting lost for a couple of hours in its 1300-odd pages.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
You've got a great girlfriend, Haggis!!! Very cool...enjoy those books!!!

Old 01-31-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm going to try to poke my wife with a stick and see what presents i get. (i'll bet i will see airborne/incoming cookware and cookbooks) :D

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

I got the new Larousse a year ago, and if you love food history at all, you will LOVE this. Right now I'm kicking my butt because when I first moved here I found an OLD Larousse in a junk shop, but was on foot and didn't want to lug it home, thinking I'd go back and get it. It would be fun to compare the old and the new.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
Master Chef

I wondered what to buy next - Larousse Gastronomique sounds like it goes to the top of the list!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have both and find them very useful. They are a wealth of knowledge. Larousse being an encyclopedia is a bit less practically useful that TNPC, which is a teaching textbook. But I love to open up Larousse and read while I eat.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Take a look at amazon, they have a deal with the Larousse and the Professional Chef bundled together, thats what I got.

It cost the same amount to get both books and have them shipped over here than it is to buy just the concise version of Larousse in the bookstores I looked at here.[/b]
Old 07-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

When I heard that Larousse was coming out with a new edition (I think it was about 5 years ago) I actually joined a cookbook club and bought enough cookbooks to get the Larousse for free. Probably the most expensive cookbook I own, it would have been cheaper to just buy it outright! Periodically I take it down from my regular cookbook shelf (hundreds!) and put it on my sideboard so I can just remember to peruse it. I'm now kicking myself because when I first moved here there was an old Larousse at a junk store for $40 and I didn't buy it. It is so much fun to see how things were done years ago.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i'm going to try to poke my wife with a stick and see what presents i get. (i'll bet i will see airborne/incoming cookware and cookbooks) :D
And lots of stars too

That's great Haggis!! What a special birthday. Have lots of fun. Let us know of any good ones.
And btw