Need Help Finding a Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I know a lot of you are like me and hit the used and half-price book stores from time to time. If you happen to find a copy of Harold McGee's "The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore" for $25 or less (either paper-back or hard-cover .... new or used) would you email me the name and phone number of the bookshop? Also, if you could explain to them that someone out-of-town wants it and if they will hold it for 72-hours I WILL phone them to order it!

Here's the problem ... it is out of print and appears to have gotten real popular (probably thanks to Alton Brown), so the price from the online booksellers has gone thru the roof. The paperback list price is $16.95 - cheapest used in rather raggid condition I can find is $35. The hardback list price is $21 - the cheapest online price I can find is $69.95, and it goes up to $150-$169.95 for a new one!

Michael, I just bought this McGee book:
On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

I wonder if the book you are looking for is like a follow up to the one I have. (?) It might be something to look into.

MAN, it has so much info in it. I have admit, I really like the book, but am a bit intimidated. I've never read a book that goes into such detail about food and the science part of it. I can see why AB would like this author.

Check here with David. He's a good guy. he might be able to help, he may not. But worth asking. I've known David a few years, and have met him in person. Tell him I sent ya.

New Books Cheap

Thanks for the ideas gang ... but the problem isn't so much in finding a copy as finding one at a realistic price. I always start a search for an "out-of-print" book on amazon.com, then I google, then I search some other used book seller sites that I know. Then I drive down to my local Half-Price bookstore, and if they don't have what I'm looking for I get them to check their computer inventory at their other stores, then I hit about 5 other bookstores in my area. "The Curious Cook" was published in 1990, and reprinted in 1992. The original list price on the paperback was $16.95, $21 for hardback. I'm trying to find one for near the original list price. There is 1 used copy of the paperback edition going for $35 ... and used hardback editions go up to $170! Trust me ... I know how to shop online .... and I know how to shop. I'm just hoping some bookseller who isn't online has a copy at a reasonable price. The on-line guys watch trends ... and it becomes a supply-and-demand thing, especially if an out-of-print suddenly get's a big demand.

norgeskog - thanks for the links ... I had run across the "Curious Cook" website but I didn't run across the page for Harold ... but thanks for that bit of into I did find an email address for him .... yep, wrote and asked him about the possibility of a reprint, or revised edition.

Rainee - thanks for the link ... I've sent David an email.

HTC - yes, it is the "sequal" to "On Food and Cooking". Basically, McGee took the science and went into the kitchen to play around with it ... so maybe you could call it "applied science"? If you saw Alton Brown's "Myth Busters" episode of "Good Eats" ... it appears it was right out of "The Curious Cook" - or at least inspired by it. Since you enjoy "On Food & Cooking" you would probably also enjoy "Cookwise" by Shirley O. Corriher - she's the older somewhat heavyset Food Scientists with short dark hair that talkes in an excited voice that AB has on from time to time. While McGee just gave us the science, Shirley gives science and throws in some recipes to demonstrate it's applications. McGee and Corriher reference each other a lot in their books.

It's a natural progression .. you watch AB, you get hooked on the science, you notice he's usually reading the old blue paperback version of "On Food & Cooking" - and you want more .....

Michael, I love AB, I never noticed that he has a the blue book in his hands though. I'll have to pay attention next time I watch. I will look into Cookwise. Thanks!

Thank You for your suggestions and help EVERYONE !!!!

Rainee - I did try David, no luck there. So, although I'm not an eBay fan, and had already checked there just in case, I took jpmcgrew's suggestion and went out and checked there again. BINGO! There was one used paperback copy sitting there fat, dumb and happy with a $15 minimum bid that hadn't been bid on, and just 14 hours left to bid! Once in a while the fates do shine on me I guess.

Of course, knowing my luck, the next time I go the the Half-Price bookstore they will have a hardcover copy for less than what I paid ....

Back
Top Bottom