"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to beaulana2
New/old cookbook

My kids got me "Recipes by Famous Hotel Chefs and cooking school teachers" Published in 1922 1st Edition (my 1st gift ever from my teenage kids that I did not give them money for!! ) and a 1939 Better Homes and Garden cookbook so cool to read, and to see our diffrence from now and then when it comes to food and preparing.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Cook

That really is awesome!! You should share some interesting recipes with us! take us back to the 20's! Are there any pictures in the cookbooks? I have the Fannie Farmer cookbook published originally in 1896 and I really love it, but no color pics! I know you are going to enjoy your 'new' books as well!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

What a thoughtful gift. That is just great!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
What a wonderful thoughtful gift.
Enjoy every page.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Cook

Thumbs up The older the better

I inherited an old cookbook named "Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia of Cooking"- it's a compendium of any type of recipe you can think of circa 1939 and updated to 1960. It's great to sometimes go back to the basics and make those rib-sticking meals my grandmother used to make. Hurray for nostalgia! Enjoy your cookbooks- they're sure to keep you entertained
Old 02-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
What a special present, I hope you enjoy them and have lot of success with any recipes that you try I used to have a BHAG dessert cookbook from the 50's. Most of the recipes were quite caloric () but also excellent and worked well, especially, I found the ones for cookies.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

Your kids would do well here - that's my ongoing collection - cookbooks published mostly from 1920 - 1945. I was just reading my "Modern Priscilla - 1924" cookbook this morning. I love the oldies so much more than anything new! Although, the idea of calves' brains don't appeal.....
Old 03-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

I, too, have quite a few old cook books. I have a "new" Joy of Cooking, but also an old one. Then there are reproductions (OK, real old would be better) that I've picked up here and there. A weird one I've mention before, off the top of my head, I think it's titled something like the Bull and Cock Cookbook, I'm pretty sure the author is Herter. I actually had a Betty Crocker that I finally gave up on (not before going through and pulling out every single page that wasn't identical to the new one I bought!!). Buying cookbooks, especially in old book stores and restaurant supply stores, is a passion.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Location: Spanish Cove Life Care Retirement Village, Yukon, OKlahoma
I have spent 60 years collecting cookbooks. I am getting ready to downsize now and offer my collection to anyone who will pay the postage for them. If anyone is interested, I will list them so you can choose which ones you want. I will not part with my first cookbook though, Better Homes and Gardens. It is not a large collection, and some are collections of clipped recipes, but might be of interest to collectors of old recipes. Check out my web site; http://grannies3cookbook.homestead.com
Not a professional job, but a copy of the cookbook I made for my children.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Miz Guru, I might be interested in some of your cookbooks and would gladly pay postage. I too collect cookbooks as does my daughter. We would give them a good loving home. Could you email me a list of those you'd like to give away at joosbornenc@yahoo.com
I tried to email you privately to let you know but it wouldn't let me.
Thank you