New/old cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beaulana2

Cook
My kids got me "Recipes by Famous Hotel Chefs and cooking school teachers" Published in 1922 1st Edition (my 1st gift ever from my teenage kids that I did not give them money for!!:chef: ) and a 1939 Better Homes and Garden cookbook so cool to read, and to see our diffrence from now and then when it comes to food and preparing.

That really is awesome!! You should share some interesting recipes with us! take us back to the 20's! Are there any pictures in the cookbooks? I have the Fannie Farmer cookbook published originally in 1896 and I really love it, but no color pics! I know you are going to enjoy your 'new' books as well!

The older the better

I inherited an old cookbook named "Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia of Cooking"- it's a compendium of any type of recipe you can think of circa 1939 and updated to 1960. It's great to sometimes go back to the basics and make those rib-sticking meals my grandmother used to make. Hurray for nostalgia! Enjoy your cookbooks- they're sure to keep you entertained

What a special present, I hope you enjoy them and have lot of success with any recipes that you try :) I used to have a BHAG dessert cookbook from the 50's. Most of the recipes were quite caloric :)lol:) but also excellent and worked well, especially, I found the ones for cookies.

Your kids would do well here - that's my ongoing collection - cookbooks published mostly from 1920 - 1945. I was just reading my "Modern Priscilla - 1924" cookbook this morning. I love the oldies so much more than anything new! Although, the idea of calves' brains don't appeal.....

I, too, have quite a few old cook books. I have a "new" Joy of Cooking, but also an old one. Then there are reproductions (OK, real old would be better) that I've picked up here and there. A weird one I've mention before, off the top of my head, I think it's titled something like the Bull and Cock Cookbook, I'm pretty sure the author is Herter. I actually had a Betty Crocker that I finally gave up on (not before going through and pulling out every single page that wasn't identical to the new one I bought!!). Buying cookbooks, especially in old book stores and restaurant supply stores, is a passion.

I have spent 60 years collecting cookbooks. I am getting ready to downsize now and offer my collection to anyone who will pay the postage for them. If anyone is interested, I will list them so you can choose which ones you want. I will not part with my first cookbook though, Better Homes and Gardens. It is not a large collection, and some are collections of clipped recipes, but might be of interest to collectors of old recipes. Check out my web site; http://grannies3cookbook.homestead.com
Not a professional job, but a copy of the cookbook I made for my children.

Miz Guru, I might be interested in some of your cookbooks and would gladly pay postage. I too collect cookbooks as does my daughter. We would give them a good loving home. Could you email me a list of those you'd like to give away at joosbornenc@yahoo.com
I tried to email you privately to let you know but it wouldn't let me.
Thank you

What a great gift!

How long did it take you to train them?....
My husband still hasn't bought me a cookbook and I collect them! Although, he does get me gift cards..... Probably better as I'm sure he doesn't know which ones I have and don't have.

my oldest is a reprint. The Compleat American Housewife 1776 by nitty gritty publications. Very fun to read. Also "From the Hearth" -18th century recipes and excerpts. Have a few from 40's, 50's and 60's. Got on a kick to try and get cookbooks prior to the "modernization" of canned food/preservatives....

KathyJ, I think you hit it on the head. It is always hard to buy something for a person who collects anything, because so often they already have what they want. Especially with young couples, putting in an order for exactly what you want takes the romance out of a gift. But even when you're on the same wavelength, there can be confusion. For example, a couple of years ago, I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone had written an MFK Fisher bio. I mentioned it to hubby, and he went to B&N and requested it. He proudly presented me with the book he thought I requested. It turned out to be a re-issue of a compilation of several of her books and articles -- that he'd bought me when it first came out many years ago (just a new cover and intro). I returned it after much debate (I could have donated it to the library, one of my favorite causes, and not hurt his feelings). He understood. I asked around and looked on the internet and still have no idea why I was under the impression that someone had written her bio. I seldom buy anyone a gift of something they collect ... it is just too easy to screw it up.

I know, but it would be nice if the effort was taken once in a while....

I usually donate to the Friends of the Library book sales, if I have any. Our library told me that they usually don't keep the books that are donated, forget exactly why now. Although, if it's new, I don't think they would. But, they then sell them along with the discards at $1 or $.50. I think you made the right decision.

I've used libraries far and wide, and always ask what happens with donated books. Depending on where I've lived, some are put on the shelves, some are sold. Here there are two categories of books that are sold, some at an annual book sale, but there's a $1 (paperback), $2 (hard) shelf in the library itself. But the main thing I ascertain before donating is if the money goes to my particular library or does it dissappear into state/county/city coffers. That is important to me. Here I know whatever I donate goes back into our local library, one way or another.

Claire said:
. A weird one I've mention before, off the top of my head, I think it's titled something like the Bull and Cock Cookbook, I'm pretty sure the author is Herter.

Claire, about 35 years ago I bought a Herters cookbook, do not remember the title, the recipes were mildly interesting, but Mr. Herters' rhetoric was mighty oppressive. I bought a pair of boots from Herters', best pair I ever had, and the cookbook in their catalog caught my eye. I still sometimes wish I had kept that cookbook.

It warms you heart when you know someone (especially children) have really put alot of thought and effort into a present.

That's wonderful.

Claire said:
I, too, have quite a few old cook books. I have a "new" Joy of Cooking, but also an old one. Then there are reproductions (OK, real old would be better) that I've picked up here and there. A weird one I've mention before, off the top of my head, I think it's titled something like the Bull and Cock Cookbook, I'm pretty sure the author is Herter. I actually had a Betty Crocker that I finally gave up on (not before going through and pulling out every single page that wasn't identical to the new one I bought!!). Buying cookbooks, especially in old book stores and restaurant supply stores, is a passion.

My husband and I share that passion, Claire. We've always enjoyed cookbooks and bought them on a regular basis, but a few months ago, we started collecting in earnest...primarily early 20th century but quite an eclectic mix in general. I"ve even started a colllection of early Jello pamphlets -- I hate jello but love that amazing artwork.

We started out with a couple fairly modern editions of Joy of Cooking but recently acquired a first printing of the1936 edition, the first time that the book was published by an outside company. The Joy of Cooking made its debut appearance in 1931, when Rombauer published it herself. We have not yet to come across one of those, but even if we do, it's doubtful we could afford the thousands it would probably command. :(

The Herter's cookbook was called Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices by George Leonard and Berte E. Herter. I have the 3rd edition published in 1961 - 1st and 2nd editions were published in 1960. This was a gift from my "baby boy" (30) and his wife a couple of years ago.

Apparently, a "Bull Cook" was the cook in a logging camp. Herter's was a very sucessfull sporting good store, and I remember the catalogs, like Ted Williams endorsing everything in the Montgomery Wards catalogs of the day, and dreamed of someday being able to buy things from them. The Herter's story is an interesting read ...

While I found the stories of the origins of certain dishes somewhat impressive, rather than oppressive like Beth, I must admit that sometimes I thought there was more "Bull" than historical fact ... but some of them fit what what I have read in other places. So, maybe George really did his homework?

It's an interesting piece of Americana ... if you don't want a historic cookbook with a historical background preable to a narative style recipe .. you don't want this book!

Last edited:
bethz, the Herter cookbook was one that was given to me by my mother, who'd recieved it used from someone else. Mostly as gag gifts because it is so odd. For those who are curious, it is Bull Cook and Authentic Historical REcipes and Practices by George Leonard Herter and Berthe E. Herter of Herter's, Waseca, MN. I wrote in it when it was given to me that it was given to my parents by Bea Mackey in 1965 in Reno, NV. The authors definitely had some very specific ideas of how food should be prepared, and I don't know of anyone who has ever used a recipe from it. It is very opinionated. Everyone in my family has used it for entertainment value! I mean, have any of you heard of Shut Your Mouth Sandwich or Tartine Fermez Votre Bouche?

How to make a peanut butter sandwich? How to clean a turtle? The tomato and the skunk? Titty sauce yams?

As for the fact that he is very opinionated and put out a lot of garbage that he tried to pass off as history, how about, "The Mowhawk Indians are descented fro the Celts and are cousins of the Irish, Scotch, Bretons and Welsh." ?????

There is a strong line of BS, but it is so fun to read!

LOL - the tomato juice bath does work for the "skunk works" ... and the recipe for "How to fry pork sausages German style" (page 38) is spot on - although there are other/easier ways.

True - most of us are not going to rush out to make a batch of "Prairie Dog Bat Masterson" - based on the name - but if you read the recipe it isn't bad (hey, it's just a weiner sandwich) ... but, it's interesting to read. If you look at the Joy of Cooking (1993 edition or before) you'll find recipes for things that you'll probably never cook, either! And far more disagreeable to "delicate sensibilities" than a "Prairie Dog" sandwich.

I just love really old cook books!

OH - there was a program the other night on PBS ... there is some archaeological/anthropological evidence that a/some Native American tribe(s) in the NE were descended from early Celtic peoples. I don't know what tribe .. I was half asleep ....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom