Omelettes again - Olde Cookery Book Find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
This afternoon I was unpacking one of the boxes of cookery books that have been waiting for me to get my act together for a couple of years, when I came across my ancient copy of "The Daily Telegraph Cook's Book" by "Bon Viveur" (publ 1964 but none the worse for that). Browsing through it while deciding whether it's worth keeping (it is, btw) I was reminded this of the discussion on omelettes that we had a few weeks ago.

The instructions on making a French omelette took two pages of close type .....and that didn't include the 3 pages of variations such as omelette aux truffes!

It's very precise but not in the least precious and takes a lot of the cheffy mystique that you often still come across today, out of the procedure (eg the instruction to beat the eggs lightly includes the comment "Please do not bash them about until they are bandy!" which made me laugh). On the question of a French omelette being moist in the middle I quote "If the poor thing is cooked all the way through, it is not an omelette it is a poultice!" (snorts of laughter again!)

An everyday cook book for the 21st century it probably isn't but I'd forgotten what a good read it was and I really enjoyed it. I'm not trying to start the omelette discussion again or to tell anyone how to make one I just thought it might amuse you. I do like a cookery book with a bit of life in it.

"I do like a cookery book with a bit of life in it. "

I agree whole heartedly with that.

It's the "life" in the cookbook that makes it something you feel like trying.
And those nuances are what point us in the direction of technique that can be so important in the outcome of the final product.

Now that sounds like a cookbook I would love to have! Sounds like very fun and interesting reading. Thanks for sharing, MadCook. :)

Among the cookbooks I have that used to belong to my late grandmother, there is one she got in Alaska. It's just a small little spiral bound book. Among the very serious (and wonderful sounding!) seafood recipes, there is one for Whale Stew. :)

".....250,000 lbs. chopped carrots....300,000 lbs. diced peeled and diced potatoes....cut whale into small pieces. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 weeks. Serves 200,000....." :LOL: :LOL:

I want to know what Army it took to "cut whale into small pieces" and how long it took to do it. ;)

What's small when you're talking about a whale? :(

I'm pretty sure it was just a funny inserted into the cookbook. :LOL: It's just one of those little local spiral bound ones.

There are some tasty sounding recipes submitted there from the local cooks, now that I have it out I'm going to have to browse through it some more. :)

Last edited:
If I'm going to have to invest in more cooking gear I sure hope I don't hook a whale the next time I go fishing. ;)

I don't have the room for more pot's and pans. :(

Unless someone here want's to invest in some slightly used kitchen equipment. :whistling

But, it's a cookbook thread. I was looking over mine to find something as quaint as what you both have.

Back
Top Bottom