"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Ostrich Cookbook

I have a cookbook collection. I don't necessarily cook from these books, but I tend to buy unusual cookbooks for the collection. At the Goodwill store yesterday, I saw an Ostrich Cookbook. I didn't buy it, but now I wish I had. While leafing through it I was wondering, how much could you do with ostrich to devote a whole cookbook to it? LOL I just might look for it when I go back.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Wine Guy

A number of years ago, I happened to mention to a musician friend in California that I liked ostrich. Two years later, when he and his wife came to visit, they brought along several packages of frozen ostrich and emu meat as a gift. It might have been nice to have a cookbook at that time. But it probably would've been something I would have eventually donated to Half Price Books.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Years ago I bought a small piece of ostrich I saw in the grocery store. I cooked it like you would a steak, just to try it. It was good, but I know DH would never eat it. It must not have been a big seller because I've never seen it again.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Years ago I bought a small piece of ostrich I saw in the grocery store. I cooked it like you would a steak, just to try it. It was good, but I know DH would never eat it. It must not have been a big seller because I've never seen it again.
There was a bit of a thing for "exotic" meats such as ostrich and kangaroo over here a few years ago. It didn't last long as far as I know.

I had ostrich from the local butcher a couple of times. IIRC I cooked it like I would a piece of steak. I've very little recollection of what it tasted like so it couldn't have been very unusual. I suppose you could casserole it as well as grilling it. It's fairly low fat so quite healthy I would think.

I had crocodile once (and only once!) a few weeks ago. It was like chewing tasteless rubber. It came in a pack with enough for two but despite the expense I threw the rest away. Even next door's dogs refused it!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I went back to Goodwill and bought the Ostrich Cookbook. I have no intention of eating any more ostrich, but the cookbook with make an interesting addition to my collection. It was written in 1996.

I also bought "Great British Cooking A well-Kept Secret." I just HAD to know the secret! LOL It was written in 1981. Since I am of British descent I have an interest in that, too.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I went back to Goodwill and bought the Ostrich Cookbook. I have no intention of eating any more ostrich, but the cookbook with make an interesting addition to my collection. It was written in 1996.

I also bought "Great British Cooking A well-Kept Secret." I just HAD to know the secret! LOL It was written in 1981. Since I am of British descent I have an interest in that, too.
Well, you'll be well set up if you do find yourself confronted with an ostrich. (I have this mad mind's eye vision of someone dumping a whole one complete with its legs and feathers on your kitchen table ) 1996 is about the time that the local butcher was selling ostrich, etc.

And have you discovered the Well-Kept Secret? There are those who think it's soggy fish and chips and over-boiled Brussel sprouts but they really are mistaken.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

I had the opportunity to eat ostrich one time. I found that it was much like tame, corn-fed goose. The meat was rich and red. I enjoyed it immenesly.

Should you have the opportunity to purchase ostrich at a reasonable price, do it. Just make sure you don't overcook it. The texture could become very tough.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Can you imagine the size can you would need to cook Beer Can Ostrich???
Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would like to empty one of those cans!!!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

A now-closed restaurant in the town next door used to have ostrich on its menu, along with a couple other exotic meats. We ate there only once or twice and I remember ordering something tame.

Tags
cook, cookbook