"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
UncleB, did you say chocolate PIE? mmmmmmmm, you know how much I love PIE!!!
Dear Miss Kitty...

I do know of your deep affection for the culinary delights of pie. I to share in that affection especially the chocolate varietys. Now I must hurry to the post office as I have a letter that must go out today.

Warm Regards...

Uncle Bob

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
Cook

Myself and two other writers are working on a cookbook now as part of a class. So far, we've found amazing results in reference to contacting folks who would like to share recipes. That part is sheer fun, and cooking up the dish - another positive.

Thus far, one positive result from an agent, one not so interested. It's been a lot of work and we're only in the beginning stages, but I'll keep ya'all posted as we make our progress.

Maybe us "regulars' can have a go at this after all!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I've just recently begun putting together family recipes to make into a cookbook. I was not sure how I would publish it, but seeing as it was going to just be for family and friends as a gift, maybe I'll look into that lulu.com thing.

Anybody interested in a cookbook with mostly Irish and German recipes?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom
I've just recently begun putting together family recipes to make into a cookbook. I was not sure how I would publish it, but seeing as it was going to just be for family and friends as a gift, maybe I'll look into that lulu.com thing.

Anybody interested in a cookbook with mostly Irish and German recipes?
Hey, Tom. Sounds like you're compiling a cookbook of recipes from my family.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Chipotle Tom, how big is the book and how many copies?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Oh, I have no idea how many pages yet, but my preliminary guess is about 100 pages. I will be making six copies so there are a few extra (my family is quite accident prone).
Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

IMHO, for a project that size, Lulu isn't worth the trouble. In particular, there's quite a learning curve getting your material into a format they can handle automatically. I would just produce the book in a word processing program (you'd have to do that for Lulu anyway), print it and photocopy. Shop around; prices vary more than you might expect. Small privately owned shops sometimes will give you a bulk rate. The biggest question is how to put the book together. For something that size, I prefer to use 1/2 inch three ring binders, as they're sturdy and lay flat. Also, you can take out a page to stick on the fridge while cooking and/or replace if it gets splattered. Second choice would be wire spiral, third would be plastic comb (you can see samples of the various options at most copy shops).

A few other tips. I presume you're doing the book double-sided. Be sure to use a binding gutter, so the margin on the spine side is larger than the one on the outer edge. (In Word, I do this by setting the left margin half an inch wider than the right, then checking "mirror margins.") Also, use 24 lb paper rather than standard 20 lb, so the text on the flip side of the page doesn't bleed through to the other. And, if you take my suggestion to use binders, have the copy shop punch the holes (most 3-hole paper is only 20 lb), as they'll do it more precisely than you can with a hand punch.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBear42
Be sure to use a binding gutter, so the margin on the spine side is larger than the one on the outer edge. (In Word, I do this by setting the left margin half an inch wider than the right, then checking "mirror margins.")
Thanks PBear, I've never understood how to that before.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote