"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Publish A Cookbook

Is there any money to be made in publishing a cookbook? Just as an unknown personality type person? Or someone here at DC?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I self-published a cookbook a couple of years ago to help with Chef scholarship fund raising and I've been able to present one $1,000.00 scholarship. That was without really 'selling' it, as I should have (or should do!) done.

I've found for myself, I'm a great cook and I can write a recipe, but boy, do I hate selling!!! Now that I'm a retired chef, I'm working on two more ideas for books, but....I'll let my husband sell them, not me!

Good luck with your venture.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Head Chef

You can take the lack of responses to this thread as a definite NO. OR the responses to How Many Cookbooks Do You Have? And ponder the situation.

I will compile my recipes for my family and maybe as a community contribution project. Pulling together the history of these times.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I personally, love to buy this type of cookbook. It's a shame that there isn't a better vehicle to get them advertised in a larger forum than friends, family and the community you are from.

Perhaps DC could have an area for sales; old cookbooks, self published cookbooks, pots, pans, untensils, small appliances, meatball rollers, ginzu knives and other related 'stuff'.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

It happens - Mollie Katzen was nobody when Ten Speed Press picked up the original Moosewood Cookbook in 1977 - but very rare. As you can see from the books which make it into print, the authors almost always have a marketing hook.

From your second post, it appears self-publishing might work for you. Consider Lulu.com. Not tried it myself, but bumped into it in my travels and, so, passing along FWIW. Or there's simple photocopying. Depends, in part, on how many copies you want. Also, how big it will be.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I personally, love to buy this type of cookbook. It's a shame that there isn't a better vehicle to get them advertised in a larger forum than friends, family and the community you are from.

Perhaps DC could have an area for sales; old cookbooks, self published cookbooks, pots, pans, untensils, small appliances, meatball rollers, ginzu knives and other related 'stuff'.
We did have an area for this at some point but I don't think it did very well so they eliminated it.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I think that excellent picture's and verbage sells a lot of the books. Take the '"The Beautiful Series" beautiful photography and stories and in broad terms the recipes were just above average maybe. I have pondered traveling the highways, byways, and back roads of Mississippi searching out the best of each geographical areas finest examples. There is usually someone in each small town that is "famous" for something that they make. Where I live there were two such "famous" ladies. One for her brownies, the other for Chocolate pies. Those two recipes just can't be beat. Undertaking a project of this magnitude would take upwards of 2 years I would think. Collecting, testing etc. and at a great expense with no guarantee of any return. Oh well, just some thoughts.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

UncleB, did you say chocolate PIE? mmmmmmmm, you know how much I love PIE!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

Uncle Bob, What no return? What about the sheer enjoyment of visiting all those places and partaking of some scrumptious delectable delights and meeting those fascinating cooks? Maybe youwouldn't get your money back in sales but the experiences would be priceless!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
Uncle Bob, What no return? What about the sheer enjoyment of visiting all those places and partaking of some scrumptious delectable delights and meeting those fascinating cooks? Maybe youwouldn't get your money back in sales but the experiences would be priceless!
Gas...$4,178.45
Lodging....$7,866.89
Food....$2,654.13
Misc....$1,127.91

The Experience..Priceless!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote