Question on sharing scanned cookbooks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right. See my follow-up that was probably posting while you were writing.
You did post while I was writing but I have no disagreement with what you said. Only that my reply was not in response to your reply appearing immediately above mine, but not a problem.

As I understand it, GLC is a published author, and I too have published articles to my credit (not related to cooking), and I think both of us have taken extra effort to understand copyright law particularly in relevant to how it affects us and the works that we have each created.

This is why it's a hot button issue to me, and this is why I'll always report posts on DC that IMO violate copyrights. And as I've previously said, DC mods/admins have deleted articles in every case when I reported to them that the post had copyright issues.

I think this is a very healthy conversation to have. And if nothing else DC administration can use these topics to evidence that they are taking active measures to avoid copyright issues. IMO it would be an important issue that DC could state (and support) that they have taken an active stance to inform members about copyright issues, and that they take an active stance to delete any posts that may infringe copyrights. It's unthinkable that they could react otherwise, or that they would discourage discussions about copyright issues.

It is unthinkable to me that DC management would not want these copyright discussions to take place. Airing these issues is the best defense for them that they have taken active steps to avoid copyright infringement on the site.

Last edited:
Maybe I confused you (CWS) with GLC. Maybe all three of us are famous authors. (An obscure one in my case.) With so many forum members I'll be surprised if a dozen or several dozen of us haven't been published. (My own work had nothing to do with the subject of cooking.)

Your link confirms that the list of ingredients for a recipe cannot be copyrighted.

The method of a recipe falls under the same regulations as any other literary work, like perhaps a novel or story, and is subject to copyright including the restrictions that it cannot be used without permission. Nor can derivative works be created/used without permission. Rewriting a method is skating on very thin ice, a very gray area.

You should copyright your chickens. :)

Last edited:
From Our Community Rules:

• Do not post protected or copyrighted material. Information copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than the member should not be posted on the discussion forums without the consent of the owner. If such an event occurs, the individual posting the information shall be held solely responsible. You cannot legally post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly it’s still copyright infringement. Under Fair Use provisions you can legally post a small abstract of an article - or perhaps the opening paragraph. The exception to this rule is press releases; they are meant for distribution and can be copied and distributed. If you are not sure if you can copy something then always err on the side of caution and simply post a link to the material.

How to Post a Recipe
You cannot legally post an entire recipe written or published by another. Ingredient lists are fine to copy word for word, but methods written by another cannot be reproduced here.

Moderators and Administrators are not Copyright Lawyers. We are volunteers in our positions and in our "spare time" we love to Discuss Cooking, just like the membership, not do copyright searches. Personally, if I am not here I am browsing the NIH, looking for research materials/opportunities in Geriatric Nursing Care, not looking up Copyright Laws.

The Community Rules are very clear in what is appropriate to post on the forums. If there is any doubt, you can expect the Mod/Admin will be deleting a questionable post.

From Our Community Rules:
If there is any doubt, you can expect the Mod/Admin will be deleting a questionable post.

Understandably so. Just didn't want to cause more work for someone. Figured it was best to ask for clarification as I had gotten in trouble over my old recipe blog when someone claimed my recipe was theirs. Odd since I created it but dookie happens and all.

Now it's a habit of mine to ask when in doubt on other people's territory.

being a member of this site has helped me a lot when it comes to recipes. I don't "invent" every recipe that I post on a personal site, but I do always rewrite the method often in a way that I find more clear and in my own words. There are times that I tweak the ingredient list as well.

Then there are times that I find a recipe that is perfect as is, and will post it with a link to the original author, if it isn't available for free online from the original author, I never post the exact recipe.

being a member of this site has helped me a lot when it comes to recipes. I don't "invent" every recipe that I post on a personal site, but I do always rewrite the method often in a way that I find more clear and in my own words. There are times that I tweak the ingredient list as well.

Then there are times that I find a recipe that is perfect as is, and will post it with a link to the original author, if it isn't available for free online from the original author, I never post the exact recipe.
When you post a link, do you mean that you write "I made Jane Smith's American Apple pie" (LINK TO Jane's website and the recipe) or that you post the recipe and a link?

When you post a link, do you mean that you write "I made Jane Smith's American Apple pie" (LINK TO Jane's website and the recipe) or that you post the recipe and a link?

If I use the exact recipe, I mention where I got it and provide a link. I often don't bother to rewrite it and make a PDF, I just link to the original content. I believe in giving credit to the original author of the recipe.

Fiona, the weather is......I don't know how to put it. sticky and hot then randomly freezing. Livingston's famous wind is refusing to blow right now.

Fiona, the weather is......I don't know how to put it. sticky and hot then randomly freezing. Livingston's famous wind is refusing to blow right now.

That's always the way, we got up to 94 today in Missoula, the Marathon is tomorrow and it's supposed to be hotter! Way too hot for me, I'm glad I didn't sign up for it.

Back
Top Bottom